XO Lieutenant Commander Vikram Baudin

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Joint with James

Postby Shawna F » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Stardate 11603.07

The room was small and unadorned, a temporary office for Starfleet’s OSOI division, and Admiral David Meek wasn’t the kind for flashy shows of personality - A single table filled the center of the room, with a simple chair behind it containing the admiral himself and a pair of them in front for guests or interviewees. His computer terminal sat off to one side, and a few PADDs were arranged neatly across the surface.

All-in-all, it looked like a minimalist’s paradise.

Just the way Vikram liked it, honestly. No frills, all business. Admiral Head’s office had been downright cozy in comparison, but that was Earth. Things were always different on Earth. Though the XO was hardly ever relaxed, he was as much as he could be in a situation such as this. The situation with the admiralty, that is--the situation with the escaped Tal Shiar spy was one that was still gnawing at him. But he was used to debriefings on at times difficult subjects. Be honest, be direct. And don’t wonder about what the Captain would say or has said.

“So, Commander…” David began.

“I’ve got your report here. Would you care to briefly go through what happened from the time the Sentinel recovered the stolen vessel and captured Captain Walsh, to your arrival here at Beta Antares? In your own words, without - let us say - the formalities expected in your reports.”

“Of course.” He took a moment to gather the words and the memories, although it was mostly for show. “After the vessel was secured from the Romulan presence, we entered slipstream in order to make our timely return to Beta Anteres. For the most part, it had gone exceptionally smoothly. However...part of the way there, we began having odd fluctuations between the tractor, the deflector, the shields--we had suspected sabotage, but given our location to the Neutral Zone, I determined that we should keep going and attempt to sort the mess on the move while the Captain interrogated the prisoner. Our officers were able to smooth out the bumps, and the rest of the trip was...almost uneventful, otherwise.” And here came the ‘but’. Vikram shrugged. “Then we dropped out of slipstream.”

And everything had happened all at once. His pause this time was in earnest. “Everything major went offline the moment we dropped. Just for a few seconds, before several systems, lighting, et cetera, began to come back. No sensors. Getting in touch with sickbay found us with a missing prisoner. Some sort of complex code directed at systems around and linked to the deflector dish. I took a small team to the vessel--” hard not to call it the Joyride, but they didn’t know what it was REALLY called “--in order to use its own sensors to determine whatever Sentinel could not. To be honest, and I understand it sounds cliche, but it was practically over as soon as it began. By the time we detected a transport and a cloaked ship, they were already on the move, and the Captain and I determined that the priority, as laid out in our orders, was to return the vessel safely.” He spread his hands. “And here we are, sir.”

The Admiral had been making notes the entire time, nodding at certain parts and listening with rapt attention. Once Baudin was finished, he gave the man a small smile and nodded once more.

“Quite succinct. Yes, your primary objective was to recover the stolen vessel, and you succeeded. The questioning of a Romulan operative who had been operating within Starfleet for over twenty years would have been a boon, but he was a skilled individual - knowledge of both Starfleet systems, tactics and responses as well as, I assume, training within the Tal Shiar. Formidable indeed.” Quietly, David tapped his styles against the PADD, watching the Commander across the table.

He had a little more information, a few more questions…”You weren’t present during the encounter with the Romulan ship, correct? You were onboard the H-...the experimental vessel with Lieutenant Gist?”

Baudin’s eyebrows gave the barest raise. So much for the Joyride. The name was starting to really grow on him. He was sure someone would make plenty of jokes with names starting with H. Hamlet, for one. “With a few Romulans with guns honed in on us, yes.” Best to answer the questions directly instead of letting the idea of ‘Walsh’ getting away rankle him. Outwardly. Really unnecessary to bring that up.

The Admiral nodded again, making a few more marks with his stylus, looking quite at ease now in his chair. “I see. There was a discussion after you had returned to the Sentinel, on the bridge. Do you remember this?”

“I do not tend toward memory problems, so yes. I recall, sir.” All right, perhaps a bit snarkier than he should have said, but he would like to get to the point please. “Was there something specific about said discussion you wished to...discuss?”

A touch of a smile returned to David’s face, making another note on his PADD. “I merely wanted to discuss the reasoning behind your suggested course of action, Commander.”

“My suggested course of action. Meaning what to do about the man who, at the time, we knew only as an unstable captain? May I ask why that is relevant to this debriefing?”

“No, Commander, you may not. Continue, please.”

That was somewhat troubling. There was a moment when all of his fears and paranoia back when he first joined the ship came rushing back, the idea of a spy on him, someone to make sure he wasn’t cracking under pressure. Someone who might say that suggesting they kill a respected-if-crazy captain was a sign that he was unfit for duty. Vikram breathed slowly in and out for a count before continuing. “We were given authorization to do whatever we felt was necessary with the then-captain. Our priority was the experimental vessel. These circumstances are unusual at best, and I chose to take the implications seriously. With the serious accusations made by the Romulans and the fact that he was clearly there to meet with them, and the apparent damage to his mind that is the result of having been under some form of strain and...potential rewriting, it seemed to me that a spy with years of classified Starfleet knowledge with little chance of recovery was a liability we could not afford.” He inclined his head. “The Captain thought differently.”

Admiral Meek nodded, looking intently as his PADD as he manipulated it. He didn’t say anything for a few moments after Baudin had finished, as if waiting for more, but found nothing forthcoming. “She did. Understandably, she is a Doctor still, and the hippocratic oath is a difficult thing to forget.” The way he spoke made it pretty obvious who’s side he fell on in that particular discussion - after all, he’d given the order.

“Very well, Commander. I think that’s everything for now, but I shall be in touch if there are any more questions I need answered. Do you have anything to add before we finish here?” He placed his PADD on the desk, the screen blank, and looked right at the man across the table.

“No. I think that is all unless any further questions come up.” Though he was curious, Baudin was not about to try prying any information out. Perhaps, perhaps he would ask the Captain what sort of answers she gave, but in his experience, she would tell the truth. Perhaps with a little more emotion and opinion involved, but the truth as she saw it nonetheless. The sensitive matters...concerned him, but the whole thing was very hush-hush. He understood that. If only 31 had gotten their hands on the spy.

But. No. No longer an area of his concern. Or at least, so he’d been told before.
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

join with CMO Sarissa

Postby Shawna F » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 pm

Stardate 11603.14

Vikram made his way down to sickbay, tense and--well not a whole lot else, mostly just tense. He could stand sickbay just fine, from time to time, when it was necessary. Even take likewise necessary medical treatment. And physicals, they were painless. Just a part of life on a ship. But it didn’t mean he had to like it. It wasn’t something he could just shake off. Still, he arrived within the good doctor’s probably only half joking timeframe, ready to get this over with as quickly and quietly and without incident as possible.

Sarissa looked up as the doors opened and managed to suppress the eyebrow lift she had been about to do. So, he’d taken that warning seriously. Good.

Tapping the last command to prep the biobed, she smiled and called out, “Commander. Are you ready? I promise it’ll be over quickly.”

He tried not looking worried as he moved over to her. “Ready for whatever you need of me, doctor. I will try to make this painless for both of us.”

“Oh, it’ll only be painful if I have to get out the special hypos,” Sarissa joked. Well, at least she hoped that came across as a joke. It would certainly be awkward if it didn’t. With a few taps of buttons, the basic scans started running.

“I will let you reserve those for Mister Gist when he gets out of hand.” If he was going to be here, he might as well try to get something useful himself out of it. “Doctor, have you given any more thought as to how our prisoner was able to access our systems from his state? I do suspect some kind of telepathy at play, but there is no proof of anything…”

Mentally, Sarissa froze for a moment, but only for a moment.

“Well, I don’t see how telepathy could be at work. His scans indicated nothing of the sort. The only oddity in his brain scans was that it almost looked like there were two brain wave patterns, but there weren’t. And no, I have no idea how he accessed the systems. He had no computer access, so it would take a miracle for him to have accessed them in the first place.”

“Someone helped him unless there are forces at work we have yet to find any other proof of.” It was a troubling matter if there was a traitor in their midst. The worry even echoed on his face, gaze turned inward in thought. “We did not detect any other transporter signals, and I believe I would have picked up something residual on the scans of the experimental ship. Nobody went with him. Nobody among the guards or the nurses were acting at all strangely, even in some minor or seemingly inconsequential way?”

The basic scan finished and she did a quick check of his medical records, checking for any hyposprays that might be needed, but it seemed that all was fine there. Another few taps of the control panel brought the blocks into play.

“Alright, if you would just place your feet on these blocks, the next part can begin. And no, nobody was acting strangely. You can feel free to ask around if it will help in the investigation, but everything seemed calm until the power glitch, and then the emergency lights came up and he was gone. For all anyone knows, he used his command codes, somehow. I don’t know, I’m not particularly good at this investigation thing.”

Ah, good old blocks. What a relic of the ages. Vikram had half a mind to think that the CMOs of the Federation just liked the look of it. “I will have to go over sensor logs again. Something must have been caught somewhere. But if this man knew enough about our classified ships, then this must have been child’s play. Still...he needed access to the computer in the first place. Or it was somehow set up beforehand, as a trap or a backup plan.” He glanced over from the bed. “Will thinking of stressful things skew your results?”

“That depends on how stressful the thinking is. Thinking will only skew the results if you let it affect your heart rate,” Sarissa replied, monitoring the results. “Otherwise, think away. And it would have to have been set up beforehand, unless he magically conjured a computer console without anyone noticing. If he accomplished that, I’d have to ask for pointers on dealing with stubborn patients who won’t sit down. Maybe he could make them sit down, I don’t know.”

“This is not a mystery I am fond of,” he groused. “And it is not one I am fond of letting go unsolved. Perhaps I will make it a side project.” Take some time to go through sensor logs, personnel in strange places, anything, anything out of the ordinary, probably before ever entering the Beta Quadrant… God knows what else someone with that kind of access to their systems could have set up. But then that would asume seeing so far in advance that this would happen-- Ugh. Maybe he would have to let this one go. “What I do know is that if we cross paths with this spy again, we will not let him get away.”

He had his shot. The captain had hers. It backfired. Now they’ll just have to kill him this time and be done with it, but not before plenty of potential damage is done.

Sarissa just settled on making a noncommittal noise as the endurance test finished its run. The final part was some deep level scans; including brain, skeletal, and muscular. She let the results from the endurance test compile as she ran those scans.

Well, that noncommittal noise sure is...noncommittal. He was perfectly fine with silence, since the doctor didn’t have any more insight. No more clues. A dead end? Unfortunate. But he would just have to accept the loss for what it was.

The scans ran and the results seemed normal, except… wait… what the hell?

“Commander, this is going to sound ridiculous, but the neurological scan just popped and showed some very old evidence of memory tampering. I feel like you should know that…”

“...That cannot be right. Run it again. Run a diagnostic and run it again. That machine is busted. Perhaps he did something to your scanners.”

Sarissa gave a slight shrug and ran a diagnostic.

“Nothing is wrong with the equipment. I can have Engineering take a look at it if you want, but the evidence is still there. It looks to be about… well, more than two years old and it’s very professional… Hell, if our newly acquired Tal Shiar friend hadn’t been in here and showed similar signs, I wouldn’t have picked this up.”

Two years. Or more. He crunched some numbers quickly in his head. And did not like what he saw. He sat up quickly and slid off the biobed. “Thank you, doctor, for that information. Unless there is anything more pressing that must truly be done right this moment…?” He wouldn’t bolt, because that would be unprofessional, but he would definitely leave. Quickly. Now. There was a mighty anxious need to go disinfect something and see if he couldn’t get in touch with an old..friend.

“Ah, no, no pressing business. Feel free to go,” she replied quickly. This had to be quite the surprise. It probably didn’t help the already apparent dislike of Sickbay...

He was already on his way out by the time 'feel free' left her lips.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: XO Lieutenant Commander Vikram Baudin

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Absolutely fantastic log, both of you! Can't wait to see what happens :allears:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Postby Shawna F » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:52 pm

:@ I'm watching you, James...watching you closely...

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm

:awes:

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:59 pm

I have a feeling that we're going to be lulled into a false sense of safety and he's going to ruin EVERYTHING
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:30 pm

I'd never intentionally ruin anything, let alone everything.

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:31 pm

James Greenman wrote:I'd never intentionally ruin anything, let alone everything.

:: has doubts about that. Serious doubts ::
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Postby Shawna F » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Stardate 11603.28

He needed answers. And he wasn't going to be able to get them here. But he also didn't have very many 'friends' left from back...back more than two years ago.

Paranoia hadn't appeared until after Kensington, part of a series of...symptoms, in the wake of the disaster. But being in Section 31 had sharpened that sense to a fine point. Did that make him too cautious, too suspicious, even jumpy? Perhaps, but he was still alive. For whatever that's worth.

But old and professional tinkering with his memories, he could only think of one group capable of it. And maybe it was for the best, but...there were plenty of other classified secrets he was sworn to, things he remembered perfectly well. Had he run into Tal Shiar before? No, no he was not going to start thinking himself a potential traitor. Was Admiral Head in on it, or his therapist, making him forget something about the disaster on his old ship? If that was the case, then everyone on the ship would have to have had treatment. Most likely it was 31, which meant...which meant if he went poking around, he wasn't going to get answers.

But there was still one person he felt he could trust, even for a given definition of trust. He had to try and talk to Samuel, his old partner. If anyone might know, or might be able to help him find out--sure, leaving the bureau had left them strained, but...but...

Most of his access codes and comm backchannels were shut down or rendered moot. Even the ones that had worked before, when Samuel gave him a warning not to go poking around about Starbase 157. It was a warning he'd heeded, but if only he could find a way to get in touch, explain the situation, then maybe he could get help. Regain whatever had been lost.

No connection. No connection. Access denied. No connection. Access denied. Access denied.

Vikram shoved himself away from his desk and stalked toward the shower. The urge to scrub himself nearly raw was rearing up, and this trip to Romulan territory with a viral outbreak wasn't helping. He'd just have to hope that all his poking and prodding got Samuel's attention again.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Sometimes I regret knocking over that first domino when I don't quite know what the picture is going to be, but the tumbling pieces are already making the most wonderful noise. No regrets! Love it, Shawna! :allears:

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel