CMO Lieutenant Sarissa

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: CMO Lt. JG Sarissa

Postby James Greenman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 am

Sounds like a pretty good use of the transporters to me :allears:

Nice log, Vanessa!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Strange Radiation

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm

As she hummed to herself, Sarissa checked on the sensors, looking for anything that could harm the crew as they had chosen to go into the strange unknown part of space that was cloaked. Despite the mission at hand, Sarissa was not entirely pleased that they had chosen that option.

The scanners went about their work in the short amount of time expected and the readout spilled down the screen. Let's see... standard background radiation, the shields had that well in hand. Some minor spatial irregularities, nothing harmful, just standard. And...

Her eyes narrowed as she read it again. Nebulaic radiation... odd, it was managing to get past the shields and the hull, almost like Alpha radiation, but not.

Narrowing the sensor bandwidth, she scanned again, looking for that specific type of radiation. Sure enough, there is was, getting past the shields and hull and into the ship. It was everywhere... hmm.

It seemed to be permeating just about everything, which wasn't unusual given the fact that she had just gotten done comparing it to Alpha radiation, but still.

Snagging her tricorder, she interfaced it with the computer and set it to scan for that specific kind of radiation. After that, she scanned the bridge, aiming for the inhabitants. Nothing pinged.

Stepping into a turbolift, she ordered, "Main Engineering."

The turbolift obeyed, and made its way down into the depths of the ship and to the core.

Sarissa stepped out and scanned again, walking as she did so. Still, the tricorder came up with just the radiation, but nothing pinged.

Entering the turbolift again, she told it "Deck Ten" as she reviewed her findings so far. Odd, how it seemed to be everywhere but just simply there.

Ten Forward and Sickbay turned up the same thing, so she interfaced the tricorder with her console in Sickbay and downloaded the scan files, setting the tricorder aside while she reviewed them.

All four sets of scans told her the same thing, that the radiation was everywhere, but benign. It was completely harmless to physiology. Strange, that it could simply act like the ship wasn't there and in its space and not harm anything.

If Sarissa wasn't on edge just with being in this strange region of space, she sure was now. In her experience, radiation didn't just harmlessly pass through everything. It always did some sort of damage. Granted, her experience wasn't exactly broad, but still.

It was probably just her paranoid side showing itself. Pushing it down, she made her way back to the bridge to continue monitoring the radiation from there.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Re: CMO Lt. JG Sarissa

Postby James Greenman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Loved it! Really informative, and I love what you did with the information I gave you. Can't wait for next week to get really stuck in!

Lieutenant

Questions of Importance and Design

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:51 pm

"Let's do a rundown of the last few days, yes?" Loret Delens said as some of the Sickbay staff huddled around a console for an impromptu meeting.

"This, I've got to hear," Counselor Harlan said with a smirk.

"We've had that damned list, a Romulan spy disguised as a Starfleet captain, and overall fun. Anyone disagree?"

"There's nothing to disagree with, Loret," Sarissa pointed out, gesturing at the slowly growing list, "We've got the list, that much is clear. Mister 'Walsh', or whatever his name is, is quite clearly an issue. The question now is, what happens next?"

"I vote for a plague," Lorella Kelly put in, "That way, Sickbay can give some orders."

Gary Williams choked a bit on his coffee, "What in the hell are ya doin', votin' for a damned plague. You tryin' to jinx us?"

"He has a fair point," Loret agreed quickly, noting the glare he was getting from Kelly.

"Besides, Sickbay doesn't give orders in just about any situation, including a plague," Harlan pointed out, "The bridge gives the orders, Sickbay just directs the flow of patients and medical supplies."

"True," Kelly mused, "The only time we do get to give orders is when the bridge manages to get themselves hurt. I mean, who would put the bridge, the main hub of a starship, in a bubble on top of the saucer section? Who does that?"

"Excellent point," Sarissa nodded, "The blame would probably fall on one of the original Starfleet ship designers. Also, Klingon ships with the bridge stuck out as the head on the neck."

"And Romulans and Cardassians aren't much better," Loret seconded, "What is with people and putting the most important part of a ship in such a vulnerable area?"

"Here I thought Sickbay was the most important part of the ship, seeing as we're the ones making sure everyone else can actually work," Sarissa said drily, lifting an eyebrow in that common Vulcan mannerism that she'd picked up on years ago.

Gary snorted, "Like hell we are. We're probably the third, after Engineering."

"Damn," Harlan joked, "Looks like I'm in the wrong department, then. I was hoping for at least a silver."

Only Gary laughed at that one. Everyone else just stared, confused.

Harlan quickly backed out, "I'll see myself out."

He disappeared and Gary tried to explain the joke to the others.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Re: CMO Lieutenant Sarissa

Postby James Greenman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Regulation 121 (Section A): The chief medical officer has the power to relieve an officer or crewman of his or her duties (including one of superior rank) if, in the CMO's professional judgment, the individual is medically unfit, compromised by an alien intelligence, or otherwise exhibits behavior that indicates seriously impaired judgment. A Starfleet officer can face court martial for failing to submit to such a relief.

I love seeing you guys in Sickbay work. Nicely done, Vanessa! :allears:

Lieutenant

Joint Log 11602.28 (with James as Jomala)

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Sarissa went over the results of the brain wave scan she had just run and compared it to the results from before Jomala’s “personality shift” and noted a very marked difference. Oddly enough, it almost looked like two sets of brain waves were present, yet not, at the same time. It was very odd and definitely worthy of sending to Counselor Harlan for him to look over.

After sending them off to the counselor, she took the chance to glance over at Jomala, as had become habit, to make sure he was still there. One never knew with Tal Shiar officers.

Tapping his fingers on his chest in his usual manner, humming a quiet little tune, Jomala watched everything while seeming to only be looking at his hands. He’d been trained practically from birth for this assignment, as a Tal Shiar officer, and had only honed his skills over the decades he’d been ‘Captain Walsh’. So he watched, and thought, and considered. He’d been told of Section 31’s involvement several months ago, when the Tal Shiar had discovered the stolen drive core and it’s location. They were something like the human bogey-man in Federation society, working in the background, doing the jobs that nobody else could do in order to keep their people safe.

Much like the Tal Shiar.

He’d gladly given his life up for this assignment. Experimental as it was, dangerous, altered at the genetic level to appear human and inserted quietly onto Earth where he could gradually move up through the ranks. Who would ever suspect him of being a Romulan agent? His instructors had watched him grow up, his superiors had noted his advancement through ship after ship, his Romulan alter-ego passing along information back to the Empire while ‘Walsh’ slept. Never remembering, a partition in his mind that prevented the two sets of memories from ever intersecting. Walsh could have been questioned without ever knowing or realising his true persona.

Ingenious.

It was only a matter of time until he’d been found, however. The Doctor’s deep-level genetic scans had discovered his true Romulan DNA eventually, it was no longer the fool-proof method it was in those decades past.

He watched her for a moment. A formidable woman, which was probably the Romulan in her. He’d guess it was on her father’s side, the curve of her ears suggested masculine inheritance. Although her eyes….Human? Bajoran, perhaps, they had dark eyes.

Jomala looked up from his hands and studied her openly instead, waiting for a response.

Another glance told her that he’d abandoned his study of his hands. Well, there was nothing else to do at the moment, so…

“Do you need anything? Water? Food?” she asked.

“I am quite well, for the moment, thank you. Have you ever visited the homeworld, Doctor?” he replied kindly.

“No, actually. I don’t think the Empire would have looked to kindly to the daughter of a defector showing up on Romulus. I daresay I may have been shot where I stood. Although, I have seen quite a few pictures and paintings, even a holodeck recreation, but it’s never the same as the actual thing,” Sarissa answered.

Jomala sighed with melancholy, staring off into the distance as he remembered the last time he’d been on Romulus, when he’d been just a young boy. “That is a shame. There was a brief time, I understand, where the Federation and the Romulans were on speaking terms. I had thought you might have taken the opportunity….alas, never again. I have missed it now for over twenty years, you know? You never really forget.”

He cast his gaze back upon Sarissa as he spoke, “I take it you grew up on a Federation world, then? Earth? Vulcan? Alpha Centauri?”

“I grew up on Vulcan, yes. And I can understand how you must miss Romulus, it was your home. No one can ever forget their home, no matter how they might try,” she said, noting the shift in his emotional status. Definitely more than a bit of… sadness, was it? Maybe longing. It was strange, sensing this shift from someone who was otherwise almost entirely calm.

Jomala was quiet for a moment before shaking himself out of his reverie, “They’re going to kill me, you know? Back on Beta Antares. They’ll probably torture me for a while, see if I’ll talk about what I know, the procedure I went through, what I’ve fed back to the Romulan government in my time - most of it has been pretty harmless, by the way - and when that’s not good enough they’ll probably get a telepath to rip my mind out of my skull. Did you know that was a thing?”

He watched her for a reaction.

It took a moment before Sarissa trusted herself to speak.

“Starfleet wouldn’t do such a thing, they couldn’t. It violates every ethic that Starfleet lives and works by. I don’t believe it. Yes, there will likely be an interrogation, but torture? A telepath to force the information out of you? I just… that’s not Starfleet. That’s more the Tal Shiar’s typical practice, if you’ll pardon the indirect accusation,” she replied, having a hard time actually wrapping her mind around the very notion that Starfleet would actually do that. It just wasn’t possible.

Jomala waved away the accusation, knowing full well that the Tal Shiar had Reman operatives for just such an eventuality. It was messy, but it got the job done, and when the security of your people was at stake the procedure was worth it. “I’d like to remind you that you’re not, technically, handing me over to Starfleet. I assure you that Section 31 are real, Doctor, and they will do what they have to do to ensure that I haven’t jeopardised the safety of your Federation.”

He shrugged, having no qualms against their methods or their procedure, it was entirely necessary. He simply liked his life, and more to the point - living it.

“Sometimes you need someone, a person, an organisation, that can do the difficult things that are profoundly necessary to keep your people safe. What if I had done more than try to reclaim stolen technology? What if, right now, there was a Federation world left undefended and ripe for a covert attack by the Romulans. The only way to know that, to be sure, is sitting right in front of you, Doctor. My life, or the lives of an entire planet?” His normally jovial features had hardened as he spoke, and he looked up at her now with dark, serious eyes. He fully expected an answer.

“Why can’t it be both? Why can the information not be gleaned by using covert operatives of our own to gain access to that information in a method that doesn’t involve a practice such as torture? Would it be possible to do so, I don’t know. But if we don’t try to save the maximum number of lives, even if the difference is only one life, how can anyone say that they have any greater right to live? If everyone went about and tortured other for information in the name of the safety of their people, the galaxy would be a much darker place. Even with Section 31 running around, using such methods, I don’t think that it would be the first method the Federation would use,” Sarissa tried to explain her thoughts on the matter in a way that resembled coherent thought, but the sheer insanity of the suggestion that the Federation would ever condone torture was just preposterous.

“Furthermore, I don’t think that it should matter just how many lives it is. I have doubts that what you say is entirely true, but you seem to believe that it is, and emotions rarely lie, unless one is well-trained in tailoring their emotions to suit themselves.”

Jomala smiled as the tirade continued, the verbal torrent of heart-felt words. “This is why organisations such as the Tal Shiar, the Obsidian Order, and yes...even Section 31...exist. They do the dirty work, the make the hard choices and the difficult decisions so that you, the normal men and women of the Federation, can continue to live your lives safe in the knowledge that you’d never do such a thing, that you’re above that. It is hard to fathom, I know that it is difficult to believe, but what they do is necessary and you’re safer for it.” He looked up at her, a touch of sympathy in his eyes, as if he was telling a young child why their pet was no longer around.

“It is happening right now as we speak, I am sure of it. It has been going on for generations. And after we’re both long dead, it will still be happening, because any galactic civilization needs someone who will do the jobs that others can’t, in the shadows where it won’t be seen, to keep the people safe. It’s what I’ve done for my entire life.” He said, quietly, true emotion filtering through his tone, pride at the work that he does and just a touch of sadness at the necessity of it.

Sarissa narrowed her eyes slightly, picking up on the emotions he was displaying. Odd, that a trained Tal Shiar operative would feel sadness about what he does for a living.

"And that is what concerns me," she admitted, "The fact that those difficult decisions need to be made in the first place. Why, if we all could just get along and not try to kill each other every other day, those decisions would never need to be made and would certainly never even need to be brought up in the first place. But, as is the way of things, people feel the need to make one another's life difficult. It's just the way of things, I suppose. But that doesn't mean that one has to like it, only that they must accept it, wouldn't you say?"

Jomala shrugged, the motion looking strange on his frame, his smile coming back. “If only the universe were so perfect, no?”

After taking a moment to think on what he’d said about what would happen to him, Sarissa sighed and stood, walking over to her desk and digging around in her stack of PADDs for one that empty in case needed for a report for the captain or something. Walking back over, she held it out.

“Right, if you want to live and not be tortured, here’s what you need to do…”

Lieutenant

Thinking Aloud

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:40 pm

"Here I thought ya hated EVA suits."

Sarissa looked up at Gary Williams as the Head Nurse leaned against the door frame to her office. He had a PADD in his hand, presumably inventory.

"I do. But there are people needing help and I'm sure as hell not staying on this ship when I could be more useful on the surface."

He shrugged, "That's your choice, Doc. Anyway, Loret has been suitably punished for jinxing us and I've got a roster here for personnel on shifts on the surface and who needs an EVA suit. I'm still waiting on a few other responses from the departments with personnel who may be of concern, mainly Vulcanoids, just to be on the safe side."

"That's a lot of people in EVA suits."

"Yeah it is."

He set the PADD on the desk and turned to head off, but then stopped.

"Y'know, I can't help but to wonder why we're here. There ain't bound to be an overabundance of trusting in these folks, not this soon after we were attacked by one of their ships and one of their agents escaped."

"We're here because we were the closest ship and they needed a show of force."

Gary sighed and rolled his eyes, "Y'know what I mean. Ain't this just some sorta attempt at forging an alliance with folks who ain't ever liked us and ain't got a reason to like us now? Seems kinda dumb ta me, y'know? Like, if we wanted to get supplies across, just send some sneaky sneak fellas to do the job. But nope, we're sending one of the biggest and meanest ships in the fleet, just to scare 'em off."

Sarissa had to admit, he made a good point, despite the convoluted nature of his point-making.

She shrugged, "I think any chance to help people is good enough. Whether they like us or not isn't my problem, so long as they sit still when it's their turn. Tell me, what did you make Loret do?"

"Ah, well, I kinda made 'im look over what we need and make sure it's where it needs to be and to run around to the department heads to get head counts. Needless ta say, he'll be pissed at me for a while."

"He shouldn't have wished for a damned plague," she grumbled in response.

Gary walked in and leaned against the desk, prompting a raised hand.

"If you knock those PADDs over, they're in order of rank and surname."

"Okay?"

"Because you'd be the one reorganizing them."

Gary quickly stood and the stack teetered. He held his breath and winced, just as the stack righted itself. He breathed a sigh of relief and turned, accidentally banging his leg on the desk.

The pile fell over, scattering across the desk and the floor.

Gary took one look and pulled one of the best disappearing acts Sarissa had seen since the Academy.

"You're still cleaning this up!" she shouted after him as she caught sight of him disappearing out of Sickbay.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Yaaaaaay Gary!

Loved it, great log Vanessa! I'm looking forward to the upcoming arc, it should be a lot of fun.

Lieutenant

Second Glances

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Sarissa opened the door of the small house in the outskirts of Shi'Kahr and yawned, dropping her bag in its customary place by the door. It'd probably find its way to the shelf later, as if by magic or her mother getting annoyed.

The lights were on in the kitchen and she figured that one of her parents must have gotten off early or something, unless they'd accidentally left a light on.

"Mom? Dad?" she called out, "I'm home."

A voice called out in response, "You're certainly not the person I was expecting."

She jumped and an Andorian curse slipped out as she grabbed the closest thing to her, a piece of the banister on the stairs that the sehlat had broken and no one had fixed yet.

She carefully made her way to the kitchen and saw a Romulan man reading a PADD, casually, as if she were the intruder and not him.

"Who are you and what do you want?" she demanded, carefully holding the broken piece of wood in front of her and hoping that she didn't have to threaten him. She certainly wouldn't be stabbing him, but he didn't know that.

The man chuckled, "Me? I'm nobody. I just wanted to have a word with another occupant of this house, but I seem to have made a mistake. I didn't account for you being home so soon... don't you usually study in the Vulcan Science Academy's main science lab at this time?"

"How do you know that?" she asked, lowering the wood just slightly.

"My dear, when you spend as much time in an intelligence field, you learn to know exactly how to study your target, including their family. Alas, I seem to have miscalculated. You would be Havein tr'Kaveth's daughter, yes? Of course you are, the only other female here is the Betazoid. Hmpf, what would possess someone to marry outside their own species is beyond me," he mused, setting the PADD down and leaning against the counter, "Put the stick down, girl, I know you won't use it."

"Oh? What makes you think that?" Sarissa snapped, trying to put on the air of someone who would know exactly how to use said stick.

"Your hands are shaking, and it's not from the weight. You're afraid, and not just of me," he replied, "You don't want to use that, and you won't hurt me. Of course, I know that you know how to use a weapon, but you won't use that stick on me. It's not got the same heft as that Blade you're used to, hmm?"

Sarissa knew he was right and he'd outwitted her. An emotional scan revealed pure confidence in his actions and a sense of smugness about him. She set the wood banister piece against the wall and crossed her arms.

"I'll ask again, why are you here?"

He casually folded his arms, "I'm here because I wanted to pass along a message to your father. The PADD contains it. Suffice to say, his last contact in the Empire is gone. He won't have anymore information. All the same, it was only decent of us to let him know. Don't need to waste the time of such an esteemed scientist by having him contact a dead source."

"You killed that source? Why? Was his only crime passing information that was likely harmless along?"

"Of course," the man shrugged, "He was guilty of sedition and treason. It is a crime to pass any and all information along to anyone outside of the Empire, after all. But you don't know that. You weren't exactly raised in the Empire. Tell me, did you know the Federation has such ideals? No, they won't kill anyone, but they can make them... irrelevant. Imprisonment is so useless, though. A waste of time to imprison someone when you can just kill them and not waste resources on them."

"Tal Shiar. You're Tal Shiar," she realized, just from how easily he'd bypassed the security systems and by how easily he spoke of killing someone.

"You're a bright one, aren't you?" he chuckled, "I'm surprised you didn't figure it out sooner. Anyway, I must be off. Do make sure he gets this message, won't you? You needn't worry, the PADD won't explode. It's not my style."

He slipped quickly out the back door just as the front door opened to a stream of curses and a thump.

"Sarissa, will you learn to not leave your bag here?" Lareia Colvem stepped into the kitchen, wincing, but stopped as she saw the scene at hand. Sarissa, staring at a PADD and that broken piece of banister suddenly in the kitchen.

"We need to upgrade the security system," Sarissa said simply, pointing at the still-open back door.

The Betazoid just sighed and picked up the banister piece, "Honestly, I've been expecting one of them for a while. I didn't think today would be the day, though. What did they say?"

"That the PADD contains a message."

"How wonderfully and typically cryptic..." Lareia muttered, swiping the PADD and carrying on as if nothing happened.

After that, Sarissa always looked twice and never trusted anyone related with any sort of intelligence apparatus, with the exception of Tommy Alvarez and his team. That included the ghostly Section 31 that had featured in a few Academy rumors and, of course, the Tal Shiar. That was probably why she kept her guard up on this plague-ridden world. If they could break into a house on Vulcan, in the heart of the Federation, they could be anywhere, even masquerading as one of these guards. It wouldn't be too much of a surprise, but there were bigger problems right now then some spy.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 pm

I absolutely love the flashbacks, that was a fantastic bit of writing. It's always a joy to see the younger iterations of characters and the things that shaped and molded how they are now.

Nicely done!

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel