MED Ensign Y'rehl

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: MED Ensign Y'rehl

Postby James Greenman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Good lord I love this :allears:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Character Name: Y'rehl i'Torvan

Postby Chazi R » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Ehehehe YAY!!

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 pm

I don't know what's funnier: the shark fin or the facial expression at seeing the shark fin.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:58 am

Not gonna lie, I giggled the whole damn way through drawing his face.

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:32 pm

Stardate 11606.13

The only time Baudin could relax (and that wasn't something he tended to do in the first place) was once they were actually on their way back to Earth to drop off the captain to take care of debriefing on the whole incident. The cure was as spread as they could make it. The defense platform that he'd resigned to not getting done, repaired once the Empire ship had departed. And without so much as a goodbye.

No, even then he couldn't relax, because he had to contact his new-old friends. Report on the incident. Yes, there was a sample on board. But things were also a little more complicated than that. Y'rehl had been, unwittingly, unknowingly, part of the entire incident, and for the sake of other worlds, knowing what projects he'd been working on, the possibilities of further attacks on colony worlds just trying to survive.

He was told it would be looked into. Thanked for his time, his cooperation.

The stop on Earth was to be very brief, only a few hours for the captain to leave and supplies to be brought on before being on their way for repairs and leave and the next mission. It would have to be enough time. He tapped his badge, glancing sidelong at the undercover operative that had come aboard. "Baudin to Y'rehl. Please meet me in the observation lounge."

Y'rehl's answering voice sounded a little muffled, a little hoarse, but his response was immediate.
"Y'rehl here—yes sir, I will be there."

When he turned up in the observation lounge, he looked normal enough—uniform in neat order, dark hair smooth, though he was a little shadowed about the eyes. His easy smile, though, was in evidence, and there was nothing hesitant about his bearing.

"Ensign," greeted Baudin in the calm manner he typically had. "In light of recent events, I took a look at your personnel file in detail. I had a few concerns regarding your safety, especially if the Empire figures out one of their former own might have been involved in Sinul's rescue. I hope you understand that I took my concerns to Starfleet Security." He made a motion to the man beside him. "This is--"

"Lieutenant Ji-soo Rhee," cut in the man with a smile and a short, polite bow. "A pleasure to meet you. We have much to discuss and not a lot of time, so I hope I'm not keeping you from anything important." Like sleep, perhaps.

Baudin didn't look the most pleased at the introduction, but time was of the essence. "Lieutenant Rhee is here to help make sure that, while you serve on this ship, and while you work for Starfleet, the chances of the Romulan Empire tracking you down will be low."

Rhee bobbed his head. "And, due to Sinul, I'd also like to ask a few questions about some of the projects you worked on before defecting, in case we run into more incidents like this in the future."

Y'rehl's glanced flicked between the two officers. There was alarm behind his dark eyes, but his face kept its faintly foolish, amiable cast.
"Certainly, I have no wish to be a target of the Empire. And—I suppose it's only logical that the happenings on Sinul would lead to such an investigation."

He shifted a little on his feet, casting a quick, almost involuntary glance around the room—as if searching for any potentially easy exists, should the need for one arise.
"Ask what you will, and I will fulfill my duty and answer as I may."

"No need to worry, ensign. I'll try to keep this as quick and painless as possible." Rhee looked to Baudin. "If we might have the room, sir?"

Baudin rarely gave anything away in his expression, and the same was true even now. If this would keep a member of his crew safe, if it would help keep the Federation safe, then of course he would go along with the small deception. He gave both a short nod. "I can give you two hours. Hopefully you will not need all of that time." With that, Baudin exited. As acting CO, he now had a few more duties to fill out, and he had to trust that his fellow 31 operative (he could only suspect) didn't need any supervision.

Satisfied, Rhee took a seat at the table and gestured for Y'rehl to do the same.
"I have someone making a few tweaks to your files as we speak. Not to suggest that we have no faith in our own security, but should our computers--or more likely, Sentinel's computers--be compromised by the Empire in any way, we'd like to focus on keeping the potential ramifications to defectors to an absolute minimum." He tapped on a PADD before resting his arms on the table, hands laced neatly together in front of it. "I understand that you had a hand in the creation of what would end up being the variant strain of the Terothka Virus that afflicted Sinul." He did not call it a biological weapon, nor did he imply that the Empire had done it deliberately. Technically speaking, that would be Captain Stradiot's job. "Could you tell me more about your work?"

Y'rehl cast his superior officer a rather desperate look as the man exited—but there was no salvation to be had there from this particular small hell. Resignedly, the Romulan took the indicated seat. He clasped his hands on the tabletop, but the gesture indicated more white-knuckled anxiety than collected calm.
"My work," Y'rehl said, and had to stop and clear his throat as his voice broke. "My work on the Terothka virus—yes, of course." He met Rhee's gaze for a moment, and then let his eyes shift, looking past him.
"I led the team," he said, voice level. "We were given the objective of making a variant on the virus that would be effective in attacking a virulent form of a fungus that was attacking livestock on chi'R--er--Romulus. There were five us us—my colleagues were the best and brightest of the Empire."

Rhee nodded along, making no judgements. "That's what you were told officially," he acknowledged. "Is that what you created, in the end, or were there other...objectives? Unintended side-effects?" And after a significant pause, the officer looked reluctant. "And, I'm afraid I must ask, do you know what became of your colleagues?"

Y'rehl shook his head decisively.
"There was no indication that there was going to be any other use for the virus. The fungus has a rapidly evolving genetic code, and we built the virus to match the rate of mutation. There was the chance that the fungus could have jumped from species to species, and the virus was meant to have just as much physiological plasticity."
He shifted a little in his seat.
"It wasn't without side effects, of course. We couldn't attack the fungus without there being a secondary infection of the host's cells, but it wasn't deadly. At least—there was risk to individuals with severely compromised immune systems, but the fungus had a rate of mortality that was nearly 100%."
Y'rehl cleared his throat, his gaze settling on his folded hands.
"...No. I don't know where any of my former colleagues are now."

"So, with such an evolving structure, it is possible that, with the right amount of tweaking, the virus could have been used as it was on Sinul." There was a pause, to glance down at his PADD for a moment before back up again. "But those modifications happened after you were finished with the project, I'm to understand. And that's how you recognized the virus for what it was. It was already based off of this fungus-fighter you and your fellows created. Have I got that right so far?"

He had, of course. But for clarification's sake. One could never be too specific with these inquiries. "Were there any other projects you were involved in or that you were aware of that could be twisted into some kind of weapon? Even in the broadest sense. I know it's hard to think of your work being perverted in such a way, but if there might be an established pattern afoot, it's better for us to be overprepared than not prepared at all."

"We—I—designed the virus to mutate." Y'rehl said quietly. "It would only require time and the proper pressure to cause it to mutate into what we found on Sinul. If it had been used properly, pressure could have been exerted to prevent it. But that is evolution for you—nothing more than a tool and a process."
Y'rehl drew a long breath, considering carefully before answering.
"I have considered that question long and hard, sir, believe me. I worked on many, many projects. I published personal research and collaborated with many others. Everything from biomechanics to viral genetics, much to my sorrow—and any one of them could potentially be catastrophically destructive. "

The Security officer looked grave at the news, though unsurprised. "If you have any of that published research, we'd like a copy. If you don't--even just a brief detailing of the projects you remember, anything to give us an upper hand in case something like this happens again, would be extremely appreciated." Rhee leaned forward in his seat. "Ensign Y'rehl. I acknowledge the difficulty of this, and the guilt that must weigh on you now. The Romulan Empire, what's left of it, is nobody's friend, least of all to their own people. You know that first hand. There will be no charges pressed against you, if that's what you're worried about. There is always the possibility of the perversion of scientific advancement, and thanks to you, a lot of people on Sinul are still alive. We can only hope that with more knowledge, and with you out there keeping an eye out, that we might prevent another catastrophe like this before it begins."

"I know that now," Y'rehl said softly. "I had—I had hoped that I was wrong, that only a few in the government and military were so evil as to cook up something like what I saw happen on Sinul, but I fear that I have been dreadfully naive."
He cleared his throat and again met the other man's gaze.
"I have nothing of my old work. When I fled the Empire, I barely escaped with my life, much less my research. I will note down what I remember and submit it to you, post haste. As for charges—" he shook his head. "At this point I might well welcome prosecution, as it might exact from me a portion of the price I owe for what my work has done. That debt will remain, no matter what anyone says to try to ease my conscience."

There was a hesitant pause between Y'rehl's words and Rhee's. "Is there going to be any issue with your assignment on your ship? Would you prefer it if you were stationed on Earth or on another world far out of the Empire's grasp?"

Y'rehl drew in a long breath.
"...That—that would probably be wise, wouldn't it. But—no. I shouldn't like to be planet-bound. I have spent most of my adult life in space, and I don't think I should be very comfortable without deckplates beneath my boots."
He smiled faintly. "I'll just trust to my luck out here."

"Of course. If that's where you'll do the most good." And it might be, if Sinul was any indication. Rhee sat up straighter and prodded his PADD again. "All right, I just have a few more questions for you to make sure the information we have is correct and up to date, and then everything else we need can be sent on an encoded channel. I realize you folks are on a tight schedule at the moment. Any information you can recall that might prove useful you can send to us. Any alterations we may make to your official personnel file will be run by you first. Sound good?"

Rhee's questions proceeded to be a rapid-fire round of basics--former name, current name, date of birth, basic personal history overview, mostly dates of events--as well as questions more security and intelligence-minded, like any family members within the Empire or defected from, any contacts in the Romulan Republic, and so forth. Punctuated only by occasional glances at the information on his PADD and a few personal notes keyed in.

And when that was completed, Rhee finally stood easily from his seat and came over to Y'rehl, handing over some data. "I think I've got everything I need right now, Ensign. Here, the secure frequency I'd like you to contact me on if you have any questions, concerns, or information you think I should be aware of. For what it's worth, I wish you luck." He gave a nod almost low enough to start being a bow. "I'll let you get back to your duties; I can see myself out."

When the other man was gone, Y'rehl sat for a long moment, eyes fixed rather blankly on the observation ports that lined the wall. Finally he inhaled sharply and passed his hands over his face, muttering "Auribus teneo lupum."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:54 am

This was a fantastic log, both of you! Really great stuff, it made the bus ride home so much more enjoyable. I love that you're getting into the meat of the issues that the mission arcs explore, and going your own way with what you're presented. Amazing, keep up the great work!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:46 am

((I lost step with the missions and things a couple of months ago, and I haven't been able to get myself back in synch. Y'rehl and I are both feeling a little lost, which is one reason why I haven't produced a log, and why I'm so damn silent during missions. I'm so burned out by everything that I feel like I just can't keep up x_x
On that jolly note, have an ooc log which represents living with Y'rehl for the last week and the last couple of months:

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:51 am

Yay doodles!
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:49 am

Stardate 11612.19

Y'rehl would have been lying if he claimed that the incident with the shark hadn't left him rattled. Though the weeks following the incident were anything but boring—life never was in deep space—he'd found his mind straying again and again to the awful moment on the beach when it became clear that there was a voracious predator in the water. He was no stranger to the horrors of injury and violent death, of course. Even if he hadn't seen far too much in his youth in the Empire, medical training either soon inured one to sights of blood and catastrophic trauma. If it didn't, you didn't last long in the field.
The foam had been bloody. The plumes of rust-coloured water had washed in delicate lacework up onto the sand and spread, scattering little cells into water that would soon see them plasmolised and effectively dead—

His stomach gave a lurch, and he jerked himself back to what he was supposed to be doing, namely running an analysis post-haste. He promised himself that he wouldn't merely bury it this time, though. He'd look that image of the bloody water in the face, and take that inner, sickening drop of fear head-on this time around. And then—then he would get swimming lessons.

Previous

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel