MED Ensign Y'rehl

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Character Name: Y'rehl i'Torvan

MED Ensign Y'rehl

Postby Chazi R » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:58 am

Joint Log, Stardate 11603.07 (MED Cadet Y’rehl and CMO Lt Sarissa)

Sickbay was quiet, and Y’rehl was glad for that. The only distinction he’d earned since coming on board was a supreme talent for breaking anything remotely breakable, and as a result he had spent most of his time cleaning up—his own messes, and that of others.

It was not inherent clumsiness, nor absent-mindedness that gave his fingers so frail a grasp on the glassware. It was nerves, plain and simple, and the more he broke, the worse it got.

The interlude of quiet gave him a chance to settle in a little better, make himself familiar with the layout and the flow of things without any immediate pressure. He technically wasn’t even on duty, but that didn’t bother him.

Sarissa finished filing her report on what had happened earlier and looked around. Time to get started on the latest round of physicals…

Grabbing a PADD, she randomly selected a biobed to prep for the standard procedure before looking around for someone to torment. Gary? No, he was quite occupied lecturing a patient. Loret was nowhere to be found and Kelly seemed perfectly content getting one of the engineers quite “hot and bothered”. Why she insisted on doing that was a complete mystery. Ah ha, there was a target. Now to remember his name… the PADD could provide that information. And it did.

“Cadet Y’rehl? Could I see you for a moment?”

Y’rehl jumped—and dropped the handful of tools he had been holding. Luckily none of them were particularly breakable, and he scrambled to pick them up with heightened colour in his rather anxious face.

“Ah—yes, sir, of course—let me just-just--I’ll put these away, shall I, or I shall probably drop them again—”

He did manage to get them put away without further incident, and then presented himself to his commanding officer, tugging his uniform into neatness.

Sarissa pushed back the urge to giggle and smiled.

“Oh, relax, this isn’t anything formal! I just felt like killing two birds with one stone, as it were. I like to get to know all of the staff in Sickbay and also… there is the matter of your physical. But that can be quite easily done now!”

Y’rehl’s face lenghtened.

“Ah—I am, of course, perfectly charmed to become better acquainted, but a physical—” he tipped his head to the side, brows quirked quizzically. “I assure you, I am in perfect health. There is no need for an examination.”

Sarissa lifted an eyebrow, “No need for a physical? It’s standard procedure, so it is going to happen. Besides, if you are perfectly healthy as you say you are, I don’t see the problem. Consider it a baseline scan, in case you do wind up sick or injured. That way, there’ll be a comparison so that it can be determined exactly what is wrong. Now, there is a biobed all set up right over here. Why don’t we get started?”

Y'rehl looked as though he would have liked to equivocate, but thought better of it.

"As you say," he said, and took a seat on the edge of the biobed."I suppose it's not very sensible to say that I don't intend to get sick or be injured either, is it."

With a shrug and a smile, he resigned himself to the necessity of the physical.

Sarissa started up the basic test and let it run through the required scans.

“So, how did you wind up in the Federation?”

"The same as any other defector," Y'rehl said lightly, holding himself still whilst the tests progressed. "The Empire was no longer safe for me, aside from all the other things that would make a person of any kind of sensitivity and morality want to leave. Not that I consider myself to be more moral and sensitive than anyone else," he added hastily.

After a brief check of the test progress, Sarissa nodded, “That actually seems to be a common trend, at least in my limited experience. My father told me something very similar when I asked him. At least the Federation is far more accepting than most other powers in the area.”

Y'rehl gave her a quick, curious glance.
"Are you yourself not a defector, then? Forgive my prying—it's just unusual to find someone who is not Empire-born."
He shook his head, smiling.
"Yes, I am indeed very lucky that the Federation was so accepting. I wouldn't have fared well with the Klingons or the Cardassians. I don't have a suitable temperament."

The scans finished running and a few presses of controls got the blocks to appear next, for the not-so-fun part.

“No, my father defected. Me, I might be considered second-gen. Fortunately for me, I suppose. Not many people looked twice. And I know few people with the right temperament to live alongside that many Klingons who aren’t Klingon themselves. And there are fewer yet who could handle the Cardassians, at least now. Right, so if you would just put your feet on these blocks, the last part will begin.”

Y'rehl gave a muted sigh and did as he was instructed, feet on the blocks.
"Second generation—that is marvelous. It gives me a little hope for the future of our people in the Federation."
Last edited by Chazi R on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: MED Cadet Y'rehl

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 pm

This was a great log, guys! I can't wait to see some more of Y'rehl :toot:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Re: MED Ensign Y'rehl

Postby Chazi R » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Thank you!!! I'm stoked to WRITE more, frankly. These logs are such a great way to forward character development.

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Sun May 08, 2016 12:58 am

Personal Log, Stardate 11605.07

Y'rehl stared down at the PADD in his hands for a long moment, meaningless thoughts racing through a brain that had gone momentarily blank with shock. When his eyes once again began making sense of the densely packed nucleotide basepairs that filled the screen, they were as they had been before—a condemnation.

He let his hand drop to his side and leaned heavily against the analysis console on the outside of the quarantine area, the pad still stiffly clutched in his fingers. He took a long breath, then turned to the main readout with a grim face.

There it was—just as he had anticipated. The folded protomers twining around the central strand of DNA, forming a sleek, deadly little helical virion that he knew all too well. He didn't need the further confirmation, but he ran the next analysis anyway—better to know fully rather than take any refuge in false ignorance. The only difference was the phospholipid envelope that encased the virion as a whole. It was studded with glycoprotein knobs, and the chemical makeup of the whole thing matched perfectly what he would have expected to see in a virus that budded through the membrane of infected Romulan cells.

Y'rehl stared down at the screen for a long moment, face tight and almost totally bloodless—and knew that he had a decision to make.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Sun May 08, 2016 6:34 am

Oooooooooo, even more intrigue! I love the log, great work, can't wait to see what happens Monday!

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Tue May 17, 2016 1:48 am

Well, I didn't manage to get my log done, and the serious piece of art I was working on for this scene was a colossal disaster. x_x So y'all get a doodle of Y'rehl dropping things.

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 am

Personal Log, Stardate 11606.06

It had been a little bit of a dicey business to get what he wanted out of sickbay. There was the process of getting it into a hypospray vial and secreted about his person, and then ensuring that it left with him in one piece.

Once back in his quarters, he sat for a long while with the vial and hypospray in his hands, staring down at them in the dim light. He hadn't turned on the internal lighting when he'd come home—it was reflected starlight and running lights against the silvered hull of the ship that gleamed through the broad porthole above the bed.

Hours passed, and he did not move. At last, with a swift decisive movement, he extracted the vial from the hypospray. Setting the tool down on the bedside table, he crossed to the dresser built into the wall of the quarters and opened one of the drawers. From the back he drew out a small box and opened it, trying not to look at the small silver ornaments that lay within, all angles and shapes that called to mind the spread wings of a bird of prey. The vial nestled nicely in the padded interior, and he closed the lid on it before he could change his mind. Y'rehl returned the box to its original place—and wondered for the hundredth time if he were doing the right thing.
He might still exact the price of those lost lives from himself—and what better way than by the might of his own terrible creation?

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:01 am

Oooooo, you write the guilt really well, Chazi. Love this log, definitely one of my new favourites, and I can't wait to see how his gets revisited. Nicely done!

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks James!! I'm eager too—I never know how things like this are going to come back at my characters, but it's never boring when it does!

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Postby Chazi R » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't seem to be capable of drawing a Romulan in a pool/water without pool floaties.

Next

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel