ENG Cadet Alun Tringad

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Ensign

Character Name: Alun Tringad

ENG Cadet Alun Tringad

Postby William Ramsay » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:24 am

[Stardate 11606.03]

The Danube-class Runabout cruised along at warp factor 3, gradually nearing its destination of Blue Horizon. The heavenly Federation colony world was the present location of the USS Sentinel, where the handful of replacement personnel aboard the runabout were being assigned. Normally, crew transfers would wait until a vessel made a stop at a starbase, as it makes logistical sense. However, word was that there were certain immediate personnel needs aboard the Sentinel which could not wait for its regularly scheduled layover.

"Coming up on Blue Horizon now," said the Runabout's pilot over the intercom, "dropping to impulse."

Cadet Alun Tringad stood from his seat in the mission pod, currently in its passenger transport configuration. While a few of the others around him were busy conversing about their new assignment, he knew where he wanted to be. You only get one chance to see your first posting for the first time, he remembered his father telling him. Don't let it slip away, he had said. He walked forward towards the cockpit, opening the door and passing the runabout's small transporter pad. As he made his way into the cockpit, he could see the beautiful blue and green orb of Blue Horizon almost filling the view out the front viewport. They slowly neared the planet, and eventually he could see the long, sleek shape of a Sovereign-class vessel growing larger.

"Isn't it beautiful?" asked the pilot, a human male Ensign, noticing that Alun had come up next to him.

"Yes, sir, she is." replied Alun, not taking his eyes off of the ship.

The pilot turned and gave the cadet a curious look, and then went back to piloting the runabout. It occurred to Alun that the pilot may have been referring to Blue Horizon, but he didn't care. He only had eyes for the Sentinel.
ENG Cdt. Alun Tringad, USS Sentinel

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: ENG Cadet Alun Tringad

Postby James Greenman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:38 am

That was an absolutely fantastic intro log, I loved every single word; There really is nothing like the first sight of your ship, and you described it perfectly, William.

Nicely done!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:53 am

James is right. I see a bright future ahead. We might finally have an engineer who stays, yay! And I think you'll likely beat all of us in keeping up with logs!
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Ensign

Postby William Ramsay » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:14 am

Thank you very much.

You only get one chance at a first impression. I just hope I have not set the bar too high for myself :D

Ensign
Actual Romulan

Character Name: Y'rehl i'Torvan

Postby Chazi R » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:36 am

Hooray, that was awesome!! (and WELCOME)

Ensign

Last But Not Least - Part I

Postby William Ramsay » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:00 am

[San Francisco, Earth]

[Stardate 11605.13]

The bar smelled of musty decay. A damp stagnant air hung in the place like a fog. The dim light was barely enough to make out how old the place really was. Tables and chairs made of real wood - no synthetic stuff here - lined the walls while the center of the room was dominated by an ancient pool table. The bartender, Rhett, claimed it was the last original - that is to say, non-replicated - pool table in the city. If one spent enough time here, they would be forgiven if they forgot what century they were in.

Why always this place? He hated this place. He didn't even drink. He only followed his friends here, more often than he cared for, so as not to be 'that guy'. They could have at least dragged him along to a more trendy spot, maybe one that attracted more females of their age group.

Alun looked around the table at his friends, all conversing about their first assignments after graduation. Directly across from him was Kylel Th'zhorrok, a tall Andorian male who seemed to have a permanent smile attached to his face. To Kylel's left was a very large human man with dark skin, Devin Sandrou, Alun's best friend in the universe. Seated next to Alun was a Bajoran, Ozin Gonica. Ozin is one of the first Bajorans to graduate Starfleet Academy since Bajor formally joined the Federation.

"So, Ozin, what'd you get?" asked the tall Andorian.

"USS Midway, I leave in two days," replied Ozin.

"That's good, Oz. The Midway is a fine ship," Devin said in his signature matter-of-fact tone.

Ozin beamed. "Oh, I know it is! What about you guys?"

"I got the Thomas Jefferson," said Kylel with a smirk.

Devin gave him a pat on the back. "You wanted an Intrepid-class assignment; good for you."

"OK, Devin, your turn," prompted Kylel, as he took a drink from his mug.

"Dauntless," said Devin very matter-of-factly, though his glee won out and his stoney expression gave way to a big grin.

Ozin matched his smile. "Galaxy-class! Nice!"

"Alun, you're pretty quiet over there," noted Devin, "what's up? Where are you headed?"

Without a word, Alun pulled out his personal PADD and checked for new messages for what must have been the millionth time that day. Nothing.
"I don't know yet," he replied, flatly.

"You don't know?" questioned Ozin, perplexed.

"I don't know."

There was an awkward silence between the friends that lasted just a second or two, though it felt much longer.

"Maybe they're saving the best for last?" offered Devin, almost apologetically.

"Yeah, maybe," was all Alun could manage. Maybe. Maybe they were busy deciding what backwater science station to stick him on. Who did he piss off so bad at the Academy, anyway? He started to go through a mental list of faculty and staff before he realized it was an exercise in futility. He had done nothing wrong. He had graduated third in his class. He was well-liked. He was almost the poster-child for the Academy. There had to be a reason. The wait was killing him. The not knowing. Little did he know, his wait was just starting...

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:00 am

Another fantastic log, William! I love watching a glimpse at Academy life, it makes the start of your character's journey that much more grounded, giving insight into how his first steps went. A perfect example of a great flashback log.

Ensign

Postby William Ramsay » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:21 am

((Crazy busy this week, sorry for the late log. Small one this week, but felt like doing an actual log entry.))

Personal log, stardate 11606.19.

I have just learned of the incident on the surface of Blue Horizon. Speculation is spreading quickly around the ship as to what is responsible for the attack. Some have said it is a shark-like creature, but supposedly no such creature exists on Blue Horizon.

Oh, something strange happened earlier. I was checking some power flow regulators when I got the distinct feeling someone was watching me. Then, a hyperspanner fell off of a table and scared the crap out of me. There was nobody around, but I swear I had secured all of the tools properly...

In other news: I ran into, quite litteraly, Keira Thompson just now near Main Engineering. I had no idea she was assigned to the Sentinel. She seems even more beautiful now than the last time I saw her. How is that possible?

Well, break is over. Time to get back to my diagnostics.

Ensign

Last But Not Least - Part II

Postby William Ramsay » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:01 am

[USS Sentinel, Blue Horizon Orbit]
[Stardate 11606.26]

Lieutenant Bentley did not sound pleased, Alun thought to himself as he entered the main computer core access room. I wonder how long he's been fighting this particular issue. As the doors swooshed closed behind him, he came to a stop and looked around the room. Empty. He then made his way around the walkway that rings the large pillar in the center of the room. Not a soul was present; it was eerily quiet. I could have sworn he said main computer core access on deck 6... Alun set his load of isolinear chips down on a maintenance cart and sighed.
"Computer, locate Lieutenant Bentley," he said, with only a hint of frustration.
"Lieutenant Bentley is in Main Engineering," was the computer's reply.
What? I was just there! Alun huffed a bit and then tapped his commbadge. "Cadet Tringad to Lieutenant Bentley. I'm in the main computer core access room, sir."
No reply.
"Cadet Tringad to Lieutenant Bentley," he tried once more. Nothing.
Now with full-on irritation evident in his voice, he almost pleaded with his commbadge, "Cadet Tringad to Main Engineering. Anyone copy?"
After a few seconds of silence, Alun decided he'd better make his way back to engineering to see what was going on. He left the stack of isolinear chips and went to exit the room, almost running face-first into the door that refused to open for him. He looked the door up and down for a second, and then tried the manual activation on the panel next to the door. Nothing.
What in the universe is going on here? Then it hit him. A joke. It was all a big joke meant to break in the new guy. It had to be. While Alun liked to think he had thick skin and could take a joke, he very rarely liked to be the butt of one. In fact, the last time was only a few short weeks prior...

[San Francisco, Earth]
[Stardate 11605.21]

Alun sat in his apartment alone, as he had the majority of the past few days. It had been a week since the rest of his graduating class received their orders and left for their first postings, and he was miserable. He had inquired about his lack of orders more than once, and each time had been assured that he had not been forgotten about. The only up-side to the whole situation was that he was in his hometown. The extra downtime gave him the opportunity to spend some more time with his father, and see some of his other friends before he was shipped off to who-knows-where.
Alun was startled by a chirp from his PADD. A new message. He straightened up from his position on his couch, almost laying down but not quite, to grab his PADD and read the message. He flicked open the message reader:

Code: Select all
     TO: CADET ALUN TRINGAD
     RE: OFFICIAL ORDERS

YOU ARE TO REPORT TO
          PERSONNEL OFFICE, SCIENCE STATION IO

NO LATER THAN
          1600 HOURS STARDATE 11605.24

FOR ASSIGNMENT TO
          MAINTENANCE DETACHMENT ALPHA

TRANSPORTATION HAS BEEN ARRANGED VIA STARFLEET LOGISTICS OFFICE, SAN FRANCISCO STARPORT.

GOOD LUCK, CADET.

Alun's heart sank. Science Station Io? All his hard work and dedication to studies, all his time invested to become a Starfleet officer and see the galaxy, all for this? A maintenance posting at a boring science station a stone's throw from home? He set down his PADD and leaned back into the couch, almost numb. Why? He was almost giving in to his self-pity when his door chime went off. Great, like I want to see someone now.
"Come in," Alun said flatly.
The door slid open and his father appeared, all smiles as always. There was no mistaking that Bren and Alun were father and son. Alun was practically a clone of the man, minus the wrinkles and some grey hair. Bren walked in, straightened his Admiral's tunic, and sat down in a chair across from Alun.
"So, you hear anything yet?" asked Bren cheerfully.
Alun wanted to scream, but managed to chuckle instead. "Yeah. Just now."
"Great! Where are you headed?"
"Science Station Io. Can you believe it?" Alun asked, almost incredulously.
Bren seemed to ponder that. "That's not too bad. Close to home," Bren said before pausing a moment, the smile falling from his face. "You aren't happy with that, I take it?"
"No, not really," Alun replied with a sigh. "But I guess I have to start somewhere."
Bren studied him for a moment, then asked, "Do you want me to see if I can pull some strings?"
Alun was a little taken aback by this. "No, dad. I don't want people to think I'm riding your coattails or anything."
"Good." The senior Tringad's smile returned. "However, what if I told you I already did?"
"What? Why?" asked Alun, puzzled.
"What if I told you I'm responsible for those orders you just received?" Bren sat back in his chair.
Alun thought for a moment. "Why would you want me assigned to some science station here in Sol?"
"I don't." The elder officer laughed, and then produced a PADD and tossed it to Alun. "Here are your real orders."
Real orders? Alun thought. What the...? Alun hurriedly flicked on the PADD's screen and read the message:

Code: Select all
     TO: CADET ALUN TRINGAD
     RE: OFFICIAL ORDERS

YOU ARE TO REPORT TO
          PERSONNEL OFFICE, USS SENTINEL

NO LATER THAN
          1600 HOURS STARDATE 11606.03

FOR ASSIGNMENT TO
          ENGINEERING TEAM ALPHA

TRANSPORTATION HAS BEEN ARRANGED VIA STARFLEET LOGISTICS OFFICE, SAN FRANCISCO STARPORT.

GOOD LUCK, CADET.

Alun was shocked. He read the message again to be sure.
"Is this for real?" he asked his father.
Bren beamed. "Yep. Sure is."
"So... the other was a joke?" said Alun, realization starting to set in.
"Gotcha," laughed Bren.
Alun could not decide whether he wanted to hit his father or hug him. He knew he had been 'got', and settled on a hug.
"So, why the long wait? Was that your doing also?" asked Alun.
"Well, sort of," said his father with a smile. "I found out where you were headed, but they couldn't issue the orders until transportation was finalized. I had them keep you in the dark so you could stew a little."
Alun, who now found himself with a huge grin, again embraced his father. "I hate you," he said with a laugh.

[USS Sentinel, Blue Horizon Orbit]
[Stardate 11606.26]

Alun, who had been slowly pacing around the walkway for a few minutes, finally came to a stop. He figured that the less of a fight he put up, the sooner his shipmates would give up and end the prank. He sat down next to the door, and leaned back against the wall. I really hope this is a prank. Lieutenant Bentley won't be happy if I have to dismantle the door to get out of here...

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:06 pm

That was a fantastic log, William! I'm absolutely loving the peek into Alun's life before the Sentinel, keep it up it's really great to read.

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel