CEO Lieutenant Commander Ilaihr

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 ET. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Andrew Rice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starry Starry Night.

Post by Andrew Rice » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:38 am

As the anaesthesia encircled his vains and took effect, Ilaihr's mind washed with thoughts and images; his telepathic restraint loosening slightly, he could see the surface emotions of those around him in sickbay personifying and acting out an ethereal play. His already milky eyes glazed over as he slowly surrendered to the drugs now firmly saturating his tissues, neurons fired in his mind awakening memories of his youth long in the past.

Standing before him at the foot of his bed stood an ancient and wise looking Vulcan dressed in beautiful ornate robes, he stared at Ilaihr whilst resting and leaning on a staff. "You are in something of a problem as usual young master Ilaihr."
"Lord Tal'pek." He replied dizzily. "I must be dead."
"Not yet my young apprentice; you recall a mind meld with me?"
"You're going to tell me that you are an echo of a mind meld we had over a century ago. I'm going to reply with thats obsurd, and you are just a pleasently unpleasant hallucination."
"Even now, you lack discipline. I still know not what Solir saw in you. You lay there in the stench of fear, illogically afraid of doctors and legitimate medicine, still clinging to your tempestuous childhood arrogance."
"Solir with all his faults was always a good man, and he wanted the best for my childhood. And atleast I'm not too arrogant to admit I'm afraid; I'm not a young man anymore and there could be complications. Besides I commanded a starship for the best part of a century, I explored the galaxy and its peoples, I gained enlightenment in a way I never could have on Vulcan."
"You peddled trinkets, sold counterfeit and low quality goods, you were a swindler, a pirate lord, a gambler, a drug addict and a mercenary." The old man snapped.
"I'm fairly certain now you are a figment of my imagination, the real Tal'pek would never speak to me in such a knowing tone." Ilaihr became slightly chuffed with himself, as it was his turn to speak his mind. "I was a connoisseur of the quadrant; I went where the interstellar winds took me, where the laws of supply and demand demanded me and where anyone down on their luck needed me. I took the teachings on Mount Seleya to heart; I took the wisdom I gained as a responsibility to others. So whatever you may think of the things I got up to, I always strived to do the right thing."
"Always with a response, a witty rebuke isn't there? You..."
"I've had enough of this dream now, I believe it's time I got back to work and woke up."
Vincit Omnia Veritas - The truth conquers all things.

TAC - LtJG. Soule Douglas - USS Hyperion NCC-77989 / S.T.A.R. ECS
ENG - Lt. Ilaihr - USS Atlantis NCC-1021-D
CSO - LtJG. Hamlet - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ENG Ensign Ilaihr

Post by Luceo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Listen to the Vulcan! I’m sure T’Kirr and T’Lira would agree.

Nice one! :)
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Vanessa Brinkman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: ENG Ensign Ilaihr

Post by Vanessa Brinkman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:47 am

You're right, I do agree :) Always listen to the Vulcan.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Andrew Rice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nurse Nightingale

Post by Andrew Rice » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:21 am

After his unpleasant conversation with Lieutenant Quinn; Ilaihr was extremely worked up and almost angry. He paced around the biobed mumbling to himself in every language, dipping between them; mixing grammars and syntaxes. He couldn't remember the last time he felt as insulted as he did now, he was trying to think of a time just to calm himself down. A nurse eventually came by at the sound of the commotion, inquiring if he was alright.

"Mr. Ilaihr?" Her voice carried sweetly in the air. "Are you alright?"

Knowing he couldn't address the lady with as furrowed a brow as he had, he took a deep breath and rubbed his head for a moment, stretched his antennae and tryed to give in to the teachings logic to quell his emotions. He finally turned around and mustered up a smile for her.

"I'm fine nurse." He replied hastily.
"Are you sure? Can I get you anything? A cup of tea perhaps?" She asked in a hopeful tone.
He wanted to say no, but the sound of the word tea had his anntenae perked up. "I suppose I cannot turn down a cup of Rosy Lee now can I? Yes please my dear."

She walked over to the replicator and ordered a cup of tea for Ilaihr; it appeared in the blue fizzle of materialisation, in an ornate looking faux china cup and saucer. She moved back over to the biobed, tea in hand, and was about to drop the forcefield, but stopped herself short.

"You wont try to escape will you?"
Ilaihr smiled at the question before shaking his head. "Oh, no. I have no problem with nurses, I just don't like doctors very much. It wouldn't be entertaining to escape if you dropped the forcefield."
"How do I know that you're telling the truth?"
"I still think I can trick Doctor Slade, he's youthful enough. Doctor Tav however is a Trill in his 140s; as a man in his 120s I can tell you tricks wont work. But at how his attention peeked at my mention of medicinal plants and herbs earlier, I may have a bartering chip." He smiled at her, sat down on the bed, and patted on a spot next to him. "Come, take a pew, converse with an old man."

She was hesitant, and rightly so, but she couldn't help but want to believe him. She lowered the forcefield cautiously, passed Ilaihr his tea and slowly stepped in, eventually taking a seat next to him on the bed. They sat quietly for a moment as Ilaihr fondled the cup, warming his hands up before taking a sip.

"You seem to be quite annoyed about something. Would you like to talk about it?" She asked politely.
He sighed. "Oh I dont know." He paused, thinking about what to say, with a pained look in his eye. "As you can tell; I dont like sickbay. Never have you see... spent the first decade of my life in a laboratory. But I wont let fear be the only reason...of course. I suppose... I suppose I'm used to doing things my way... the way things used to be done. If you were injured, you got on with it."

"Yes, but you had fairly major surgery, especially for a man of your advanced years."
"That is not the point. Mr. Quinn accused me of wanting special treament, but the reality is I want proper treatment. I am not the number of years I have lived; I am the sum of the experiences and decisions made in those years. I am of no help in this room, but even sat firmly on a chair on the bridge I can atleast offer something."

"I understand your need to get back to work... But threatening to escape and arguing with your direct superior? That will get you in trouble.... Your already behind a forcefield...." She pleaded with him.
"I'm behind a forcefield because the doctors have a sense of the theatric about them, as well as the misplaced belief that they're humourous. And why can I not threaten to escape? Keeps them on their toes, and the thought exercise is good for the mind" He laughed, noting the whole situation in sickbay hadn't become serious until the lieutenant walked in. "As for Mr. Quinn...." He thought about the whole situation.

"What about him?"
Ilaihr sipped his tea. "I don't quite know. I dont understand the root of his problem. He offended me today, and I am not a man often or easily offended. If I was, I would never have survived 80 years of trading and dealing with people; several of whom undoubtedly harboured ill-will towards me. But it's not just about what he said, but how. I am... disappointed."

"What will you do?"
"I will continue to do my job. The same thing I have always done." Ilaihr finished his tea and placed the cup down beside the biobed, and smiled at the nurse. "I wont keep you any longer, nurse....?"
"Nightingale." She smiled back courteously before standing up and leaving the bed area, remembering to raise the forcefield before she left.

"Well nurse Nightingale; I shall remember to mention you in my memoirs." He began tapping a PADD on his hand. "I think I may start writing them.... there's much to tell; I've been around for a while and alot has changed over the years..." He crumpled a number of PADDs together and started working whilst he nattered to himself.
Just ever so slightly bemused at the shifting thought track of Ilaihr, Nurse Nightingale smiled as she walked away to continue her work, chuckling to herself. "I hope it's good things, Mr. Ilaihr."

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nurse Nightingale

Post by Luceo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:52 pm

This is a good perspective piece, and certainly shows his mindset. Well done!

Andrew Rice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Explosive Personalities

Post by Andrew Rice » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:09 am

Ilaihr was calmly running through systems checks, making sure everything was in working order after the battle. He noticed he was getting a communique; he gazed at the console for a moment, not expecting any calls at this moment, he was curious. On connecting the transmission, he was met with a smiling Klingon face.

"Rii, pep kheeb. Kukhuukh iil?" Asked the Klingon jovially.
"Qapla. nuqneH?" Ilaihr smirked. "qaleghqa'neS?"
The Klingon laughed. "I am honoured to see you also sir."
"Mr Hamlet... you havent been required to call me sir in many years."
"Ach, it jus' feels right. And to answer your question, I'm calling to see how you are; and you haven't answered my question yet."
The old man looked around engineering, noting how everyone was busying themselves. "Oh I'm fine lad. Your An'dorian is off, by the way."
"Oh aye? So is your Klingonese."
"My boy... That is impossible; I have been speaking the Klingon language since before you were born. My intonation and pronunciation is perfect."

They both enjoyed a quick laugh. It had been sometime since the pair had spoken.

"To be honest Ilaihr, hearing Atlantis was in the midst of battle... I did worry 'bout ya. I know yer no' one for combat."
"We did fairly well for ourselves; I was safe in engineering with a team of MACOs outside. I was even equipped wth a weapon."
"Stop th'bledy presses... you had a gun? Captain Ilaihr of Andor carried a gun? You ne'er carry a gun. Last time you carried a gun was...."
"...Was the Caremman incident, I remember. Necessity once again has forced me to drop my principles of pacifism. No doubt it has forced you to do the same?"
"Aye. Did you enjoy the fireworks I brought to the party me?"
"Ah. So that was you causing a bledy ruckus. I hear one of them made a Tzenkethi carrier go away."
"Well... it went more than aw'y. The atoms that composed it are now scattered to the four corners of the system. I dunni even make 'em for that though. I originally made 'em to break us free from a subspatial anomaly."
"I'm not judging you my boy. If you hadn't have constructed them; its possible we wouldn't be having this conversation now."
"I suppose... well I've sent the schematics to the rest of the fleet. Sentinel has run oot of tricobalt, so we canni make any more, and it would be handy if the other ships had 'em as backup."
"I'll check storage, we may have some aboard. I'll have to talk to Mr Quinn or the admiral for permission to construct them."
"Well, Admiral Blackthorne seemed impressed. Although he may have jus' been gobsmacked by how simplistic my answer to his question was."
"What was the question?"
"Wha' the hell was that?"
"And how did you respond?"
"Its a really big bomb sir."
"Hmmm. Probably as much as I've said to him... Lets just assume he hasn't formed an opinion of you and I'll ask him about those tricobalt devices when I'm done here."
"Very well Ilaihr. I'll let you get back to yer work, whilst I get back to mine. Expect a call at some point from Mr Douglas, he was asking aboot you."
"Oooh. How is Soule?"
"Still the same Soule Douglas."
"A perpetually misguided pain in the ass then. I will look forward to hearing from him. And we'll be in this same battle group for a while, so we'll speak again soon old friend."
"Yes we will old timer." The two nodded at each other as Ilaihr disconnected the transmisson.

Ilaihr was left thinking; in particular Hamlet's mention of Soule. The young man had some issues; ones that this war would probably awaken in him. Ilaihr was worried; staring up at the chronometer he checked the time, making certain that he was clear to leave the shift.

Andrew Rice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Variable Subspace

Post by Andrew Rice » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:43 am

Ilaihr marched into the weapons bay, waving over the two officers working in there the moment he entered. "Lads. I'm going to require the room for a number of hours and... for safety reason, it would be agreeable for you two to make yourselves scarce."

They looked at each other, then back to Ilaihr and nodded. "Sure thing sir. What are our orders?"

He analysed the situation of the ship in relation to their question. "Since you are stationed to the weapons bay, it would be only logical for you two to assign yourselves to something relating to the tactical department. Check the weapon systems diagnostics, perform repairs to any of the power conduits or the bays and arrays if they require them."

"Understood sir. We'll leave you to your work." They both smiled, and began to leave.

Ilaihr patted them both on the back as he followed them out, so as to seal the door when they left. The moment the door closed, he sealed it and erected a Level 12 forcefield around the room. He moved across the room and using the bay apparatus, placed a quantum torpedo on the work bench. He beamed in from the cargo bay, utilising a containment field, the ship's supply of tricobalt. He even furthered his precautions by erecting a local subspace dampening field, making absolutely certain that the tricobalt didn't cause a subspace detonation.

"Computer begin audio recording on my mark, please." He asked the computer nicely, as he opened the access panel and unlock the torpedo's casing. "Mark."

"I currently find myself dissecting a quantum torpedo, and will in a moment be infusing the warhead with an added payload of enriched tricobalt. I have taken the necessary steps to ensure that the process will go smoothly and without incident."

He started taking parts out and moving others around, with utmost care, making room for the added mass.

"I don't usually work with substances like this; far too rich for my blue blood. Hauled it a few times back in the day; but those runs were more tentative and nerve wracking in a few day, than the six months I spent near Sheliak space. Bizarre species. Highly xenophobic and have an absolute disdain for humanoid lifeforms. Lucky thing I was there on a Tholian run then, they would have surely attacked Betty..... But yes, tricobalt is dangerous, fluctuates subspace and can cause massive kinetic, concussive and radiometric damage. When a weapon of this magnitude explodes, space literally ripples under the stress."

He finshed doing whatever to the quantum, and moved over to cautiously handle the tricobalt. He deactivated the containment field, took a sampler, and; using Hamlet's recipe, took a quarter of the containers contents, slowly and carefully taking it back to the work bench. He reactivated the containment field, beamed the remainder back to it's special storage pod and immediately got back to work.

"Thinking of the Sheliak; I cannot help but think of our war with the Tzenkethi, and new intelligence I've heard of the Breen being involved now. The Tzenkethi acting alone I understand; they're prone to the odd angry fit of rage, as many reptilioid species are. But the Breen... they are cunning. A mysterious race, that I know very well. Allying themselves with the Tzenkethi like this seems off for them. They are a very deliberate species, and they only act when they have the upper hand....."

He mopped his brow before tentatively beginning the infusion process. Using a machanical arm and beam, he was essentially welding the alloy to the warhead, but trying to create a honeycomb lattice structure; helping to harness it's destructive potential by having unstable subspace microbubbles forming within the weapon. This would be the lengthy part of the process.

"Something else is going on behind this war. I'm unsure what though. If we had the luxury, I would ask the captain if I could take on more diplomatic responsibilities. My name must mean something, somewhere still. I would like to find out more about the politics of this war, because these two species are not acting alone; someone is pulling their strings. I assume the Klingons and the Romulans are denying us assistance; so we need to be asking the Cardassians, the Tholians, maybe the Ferengi... because their territories are closest to Breen and Tzenkethi space... Although I guess it would be plausible that the Tholians are involved somehow; their spacial boundaries may have shifted again, I forget the cycle."

He took a quick breath before getting on with what is going to take him several hours to complete.

"I may ask the captain if I can be of any assistance in those sorts of matters. I do have experience with a good many Alpha Quadrant species. I suppose I'm longing to do something more useful in the grand scheme of it, and try to bring an end to this war sooner with less bloodshed. But for the minute, I should focus on this very large, highly explosive and indeterminately unstable weapon of mass destruction...."

He put his head down, and for the next few hours all that was recorded was multilingual swearing and singing, grunting and the occasional ballad of humming.

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Variable Subspace

Post by Luceo » Thu May 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Nicely done and congrats on winning Log of the Month for April!

Andrew Rice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: ENG Lieutenant Junior Grade Ilaihr

Post by Andrew Rice » Thu May 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Merçi. :cylon:

Andrew Rice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next Steps

Post by Andrew Rice » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:42 pm

"You're not a young man anymore dad." Dan'el laughed as he sipped his drink.
"Yeah, maybe you should finally retire." Kedra added.
Ilaihr stared back at them through a haze of smoke, disapprovingly. "And what do you have to say to this Adam?"
"They have a point pops. And now that Betty's gone.... you have no reason not to. It's not like you dont have enough money to just settle down, and be comfortable for the rest of your days. Especially if you do it on a Federation planet."

Ilaihr lowered his pipe, exhaled smoke from his nose like a dragon and shook his head. "Ganging up on an old man like this, it is not becoming."
"Oh come on." Kedra objected. "We're not ganging up on you, we just worry about you."
"But it isn't your job to worry about me. I am your father; I'm supposed to worry about you."
"It's a two way street dad." Added Adam.
"Do you even know what you're going to do now?" Dan'el asked concernedly.

Ilaihr sat back in his seat and took another puff of his pipe. "I have had some thoughts about that. Something that has weighed on me for a number of decades."
The trio gave an array of concerned and curious looks to each other. "Go on?"
"I have decided to join Starfleet and attend the Academy."
Again, the trio shared some looks between them before Dan'el spoke up. "But... no offence... but you're too old dad."
"I shall endeavour to try and not be offended."
"Dan'el has a point though. You were born back when the Federation was still the Coalition... maybe actually before that." Replied Adam.
"And your past dealings with Starfleet haven't exactly been... sterling." Kedra continued.
"My relationship with Starfleet has had it's ups and downs, but so does any relationship. The worst of such occasions landed me with you boys, so for that I am grateful."
"How do you know that they'll even take you at the academy?"
"I have fostered numerous favors over the years. It's just a point of using the right ones."

"Why do you even want to join Starfleet?" Adam asked.
"I have been to many places, seen many faces, encountered numerous species... and there was a lot of personal gain involved..."
"But you always gave back..." Dan'el stated plainly. "You protected villages on Bajor during the occupation by paying off Cardies, you smuggled people out of Romulan space, you helped countless war-torn worlds rebuild, you've helped along diplomatic relations with..."
"But it's not enough!" Ilaihr snapped. "Without Betty I am no longer a captain... I can galavant across the quadrants no more... and there are still many races to encounter, many places to go... But as you have plainly pointed out, I am no longer a young man... you all have your own lives, and I can't just go out and obtain a new ship and a trustworthy crew. Times have changed and space has become dangerous. With Starfleet my experience will be invaluable, I can focus on my talents and passions; I can settle down, without settling down. And most of all, with the finest vessels in the quadrant; I will be safe in Starfleet."

==========

"Admiral! Shields are down to 29%, and there are defects coalescing in the emitters themselves. The structural integrity field is becoming spotty at best and we can no longer compensate for the plasma build up."