TAC Lt. Commander T'Lira

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 ET. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

James Greenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: SCI Ensign T'Lira

Post by James Greenman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Andorian's have four sexes, chan is one of the male-type counterparts.

Another fantastic log, Vanessa! And congrats on winning the award this month. :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Vanessa Brinkman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Wait... I did mess that up. I should fix that... too many genders to keep track of...
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Luceo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:59 am

James Greenman wrote:Andorian's have four sexes, chan is one of the male-type counterparts.
:stare:
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Vanessa Brinkman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Classes, Same Problems

Post by Vanessa Brinkman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:19 am

Here it was: the first day of classes that many students illogically dreaded. It was hardly as bad as they believed it to be.

T'Lira had just dropped Taril off at daycare, much to the delight of her son, who seemed to crave the company of others. He might one day be an excellent example of whatever career he chose. If he learned patience.

She looked down at the PADD in her hand and was not surprised with her class list. First, she had History of the Federation, albeit a rather updated version that included the Dominion War and everything after. Next, flight training. A class she did not look forward to but did not dread either. After that, she had Beginning Scientific Methodology. Of course, it had been updated as well, but she already knew the majority of the material. Her last class of the day was Basic Hand-to-Hand Combat, a required class for all non-security majors. That would indeed be interesting.

As she walked to her first class, she wondered if this instructor would cease to cause all of the students to fall asleep in class.

History of the Federation was not as updated as she believed it to be. She knew far more about the Dominion War than the syllabus implied would be covered. Not to mention that other recent topic were only barely touched upon. Most of the curriculum still covered the pre-Federation days of the Coalition of Planets and up until the time of James T. Kirk. And that easily covered most of the semester. The rest of the curriculum was briefly looking over anything not covered.

Flight training offered a welcome surprise. The instructor was none other than one Commander Elena Garson, T'Lira's roommate the first time she attended the Academy. It appeared that Elena almost laughed when she saw her class. After a brief period of welcome and offering a basic outline of the skills covered, Elena allowed her students free reign to observe other students in their prep routines and took a chance to talk to T'Lira. They agreed upon a Sunday lunch at the Relasan, a local restaurant/bar (of course, only after 1800 hours).

Her Beginning Scientific Methodology class was boring, however illogical the idea was. The professor proceeded to carry on about the scientific method and treated all of his students as if they were children, even after the (supposedly) youngest student in the class disproved his entire theory about the process of a matter/antimatter reaction and the actual particles that were in play during such a reaction. T'Lira firmly decided to speak to him privately about his conduct.

Basic Hand-to-Hand Combat was rather... interesting. They were paired with students of presumably equal levels of skill, only to find that most of the students were more well-trained than their appearances showed them to be. An engineering track major student successfully preformed a manual throw of a student and accidentally threw the student into a wall. Professor Callus was less than pleased with that turn of events and ordered that they simply practice their hand movements and gauging their strength.

Even after all of her classes, T'Lira still found herself... wanting something more. But she had felt the same way during her official first year at the Academy, before the Dominion War broke out and all cadets third year and above were ordered to the front lines to supplement the struggling officers already there.

After her classes, there was a rather dull welcome ceremony that had several surprising twists to the general outcome, but was still dull. Of course, Starfleet Academy had to continue in tradition...

(heehee, I left a tiny cliffie! *runs away laughing*)

Vanessa Brinkman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Welcome Ceremony

Post by Vanessa Brinkman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 am

This was an unpleasant ceremony. It always had been. T'Lira had tried her first time around to escape, but had not managed to find a way.

"Welcome, cadets, to the four years that will begin your career!" a hyperactive professor chattered, "This is where you learn the tricks of your trade and choose your paths!"

Various cadets snickered at that. It was commonly known that most cadets had already chosen their own path in Starfleet. For example, the cadet standing next to T'Lira was clearly a doctor, judging from the medical pack on his side and the fact that he has so far not taken his eyes off of the cup of caffeinated beverage he held. His uniform also was clearly medical blue.

"And now, may I present to all of you, the Commandant of Cadets, Admiral Michael Quay!" the professor finished with his spiel and the Admiral stepped up to the podium at the front of the hall.

"Welcome to Starfleet Academy, all of you. I first want to apologize for the delay in this ceremony, but there was an unfortunate incident with a burst water pipe. Now, I know that Professor Grekin gave the same speech, but this is where you learn how to serve as a Starfleet officer. I expect to see every single one of you here again in four years when you graduate as an officer. I won't lecture you about the merits of a cadet and officer, because you will get that same lecture from every single one of your professors, so let's not exhaust you with it now," Quay laughed at his own joke, as did many of the cadets. Some of the cadets stayed silent.

"Anyway, I know that my predecessors would have given you quite the speech, but there are professors to do that. So now, all cadets, please get out the little boxes you received upon check-in," he ordered.

All of the cadets lifted the boxes and waited.

"Right then, open the boxes and remove your cadet rank pins!"

Again, the cadets followed orders and removed the pins that symbolized their status as first-year cadets.

"Turn to the cadet next to you and help each other get those pins on. I don't want to see any more cadets out of uniform!" Quay called out.

T'Lira turned to the medical cadet next to her and helped him fasten his rank pin. He reciprocated and helped her fasten her own pin. It was her second time at the Academy and she still couldn't get the cadet rank pins to ever sit right.

Admiral Quay grinned, "Now, you are officially cadets!"

He saluted and the entire room saluted back, albeit a bit ragged and not at all in sync with each other.

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Luceo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Well done! Such ceremonies are boring as always, but at least we see it from your perspective.

Vanessa Brinkman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Vacations and Tomato Soup

Post by Vanessa Brinkman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:06 am

Elena had told T'Lira about a recipe for a dish called "tomato soup" and said Taril enjoyed it. So, she decided to make it for him. But first, would she be able to find a way for him to visit while she was on shore leave?

Oh, she managed it. Just barely, though. The cargo ship had restrictions on the age of its passengers and Taril didn't meet them. But, when Elena volunteered to ride with him, the cargo ship permitted it. T'Lira felt lucky that Elena was trying to find a ship to take her from Earth to Alexandria so that she could use a short-range shuttle to travel to her next post.

Now, Taril was running around outside and taking pictures of various beetles and plants while T'Lira tried to figure out why all of these excess ingredients were needed in a recipe that was simply called "tomato soup". It needed... onions and butter? How were those used in such a soup. The pot of soup slowly bubbled as she tried to figure out the logic in such an odd mixture of ingredients.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

The spoon tapped quietly on the countertop as she mused about the topic of recipes. What would be the best ones to cook for now? A look in the pantry would help solve that, surely. What about on the Atlantis, though? What would she do then? It appeared she would need to go shopping in the nearby town to fix that dilemma. Tommorrow, she would take Taril and go shopping, not just for food. However illogical of a tradition it was, T'Lira decided that he would need a small keepsake from the planet. What to get, though...

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Luceo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Clearly, he needs a set of mouse ears. Nicely done!

Vanessa Brinkman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Illogical Fears

Post by Vanessa Brinkman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:55 am

It all started in a swimming pool.

The Academy swimming pool, to be more precise. Students weren't required to know how to swim, but it was a good skill to learn. After all, who knew what situation a student may be thrown in?

So, T'Lira stood at the edge of the swimming pool. Eighteen Federation standard years old and she hadn't the faintest clue how to swim. It was mildly embarrassing that she couldn't accomplish something as simple as swimming a lap without almost drowning. So far, no one had noticed her difficulties, but that seemed about to change.

"Hey, Vulcan! Need a hand?"

The owner of the voice was a young human male. He had a nervous looking Andorian and an angry human female with him.

"Pardon?" she asked. He grinned.

"You've been in and out of the water for over an hour. I think you're just being a bit nervous, huh? I though Vulcans couldn't get nervous," he laughed.

"It is not that, it is that I-"

Her reply was cut short as his hand suddenly pushed outwards and hit her shoulder, propelling her straight into the thing she couldn't exactly deal with: the water.

"Ack!" she gasped as she hit the water. Instantly, she was submerged and was cut off from the air. She thrashed her arms about, but couldn't seem to remain above the surface.

"What do you think you're doing, you asshole!" the human female screamed, "Can't you see she can't swim? God, you're such an idiot!"

The girl threw herself into the water and swam over to T'Lira.

"Hey! Come on, grab onto the edge, like this. Yeah, just paddle over. Use your feet to propel you over here to grab on. There you go!"

The girl's gentle coaching enabled T'Lira to get calm enough to swim and grab the edge of the pool. After pulling herself out, the girl followed suit.

The small human marched over to the larger male and poked his chest, yelling, "What the hell was that all about, Greg? You don't need to be an ass just because you don't like someone!"

Greg stuttered, "'Lena, wait a minute! 'Lena! Look, you know how I feel about-"

"I'm well aware of how you feel about Vulcans, just because they're distantly related to Romulans! You think killing someone is going to help bring your family back? Well, you're wrong!" she replied heatedly, "And just so you know, for that little stunt, we are OVER!"

He spluttered as the woman stalked away, back to T'Lira.

"I am so sorry for Greg. He's such a douche. Anyway, I'm Cadet Fourth Class Elena Garson! It's a pleasure to meet you," the woman smiled.

"I am Cadet Fourth Class T'Lira. It is agreeable to meet you as well."

And that was how she made a lifelong friend and a lifelong fear, all in the space of five minutes.

(Well, this was a bit late, but hey, I got it done! Time keeping skills this week = suck epically.)

Luceo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: llogical Fears

Post by Luceo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:03 am

Very nice! I really liked this one. Showing how a friendship forms can be quite quite effective, and much more so than just saying that it exists.