XO Commander Rojer Lyon

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant

aCO Commander Rojer Lyon 11601.18

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:55 am

Rojer hated disciplining crew at the best of times, and as much as he liked Vitro as an individual, the hologram should have known better that without authorization to be there, he shouldn’t even have stepped onto bridge. The fact that Soule should have known better too didn’t help his mood. But in retrospect, he shouldn’t have been surprised in the least. It wasn’t the first time that the Tactical officer had blatantly ignored procedure. He made a note to follow through on a train of thought.

Mr Douglas had an idea which had some merit, but the details took some discussion. The execution of the plan got stymied by Adria’s fleet of ships dropping from warp in the middle of nowhere and changed the intercept time from 8 hours to only 30 minutes. Too short a time to work up anything workable that had to be done from scratch.

From the long-range sensors it appeared that Adria was busy trying to open a transwarp conduit. And they would be in time to stop her from getting away through it. There was no other option.
Last edited by Chris Esterhuyse on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XO - Cmdr. Rojer Lyon - USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

aCO Commander Rojer Lyon 11601.25

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:55 am

Battles. It always ended up in some form of battle with this woman. Not always physical battles, but fighting none the less. With one’s self, one’s beliefs, one’s moral compass since she tempted one to want to kill her outright, and not for what she’s done to you, but what she did to others.

Ethan shook the thought from his mind as he guided the ventral section of the ship through the battlefield, finishing up the mop-up operations while Rojer had handed the conn to Joanne before bolting for sickbay.

Ethan wanted to run down there himself and he suspected Joanne would have beat him there if they weren’t both stuck on the bridge for the time being. He sighed to himself – they would find out soon enough.

===

Rojer hated being the one worrying about people. Niamh in Adria’s clutches and Rome going there willingly to confront the woman who practically killed him several times. As he was hurrying to sickbay, he grimaced since his fears had been realized. His friends were injured, to what extent he needed find out. The only light at the end of the tunnel that was not an oncoming freighter was the fact that they had Adria in custody. The question was now: Was it deliberate, or did they really catch her off guard and apprehended her?

He despised not knowing, being two steps behind. For once he would like them to be the ones that knew things the other side didn’t. Being able to lay the traps, and a small part of him hissing that they could take revenge. He quelled that voice, and kept on going to sickbay.

He had a feeling of dread that he couldn’t quite shake.

Lieutenant

aCO Commander Rojer Lyon 11602.01 (Joint log with CO)

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Rojer got the bottle from the cupboard and fetched glasses which he put on Jonathan's desk. "You will need it after I tell you what Niamh is going through." He poured two generous measures, handing one over. "The surgery wasn't completely successful. The explosion and her injuries were severe enough that she lost the baby." He took a large gulp from his own drink. "Izzy was waiting for her to wake up to tell her."

Jonathan reached out and grabbed the drink “I know. I was there.” Rojer had not known that.

He brought the glass to his lips and emptied it, then placed it back on the desk, his eyes still fixed on the screen. “It’s why she talked… she showed real remorse, Roj… she gave me this too”. Jonathan looked up at his friend and nodded soberly “We will do what we can for her, I promise you.”

“I know,” the blond man replied. The Captain grabbed the bottle and poured himself another drink before turning his attention back to the screen. Rojer helped himself to some as well.

Jonathan scrolled through the personnel file that someone had kept on Dixon. This is what he had spent the last four years looking for. His holy grail. “Jeremiah Robertson. Age 65, Human, born in Salt Lake City, Utah, North America. Last posting, Xeno-archeology on board the USS Explorer, a five year mission in the Beta Quadrant to examine and gather information on the “Ancients”, also called the “Seeders”.

“On Stardate 0904.25 the Explorer was lost with all hands when it came under attack by a Romulan Bird of Prey on the edge of the Romulan Neutral Zone. Stardate 10604.30 a Romulan outpost came under Tzenkethi attack and was nearly destroyed. The USS Hood came to the rescue of the “Scientific” outpost, and found one human amongst the wreckage unhurt.”

Rojer raised an eyebrow. “Unhurt? I find that… how can I put it delicately, oh yes, suspicious. But then again, my knowledge of the man is colouring my interpretation of the information.” He leaned back in the chair he had seated himself in. “Were they successful in their mission? The one about the Ancients?”

“Doesn’t say….we know that the Romulans did not take well to information like that….that we’re all one big happy family out here. They probably destroyed the research too.” Jonathan took a sip of his drink. “Captain Suder told me about this, before her death” he pointed out the relevant information on the screen. “Intelligence believed him to have turned.”

Rojer frowned at the screen. "How closely had Suder worked with Dixon," he couldn't bring to call the man anything but that, "or didn't she divulge that?" He thought a moment. "Or was her mission to find out if he had been turned?" He nursed his drink. "And how did the man get to be fixated on you?"

“She never said… I don’t know if you knew the late Captain Suder, but she was a woman of few words. All I got from her was that he was dangerous. Very dangerous.” Jonathan sipped of his glass and ran one hand through his beard, wondering where to start.

Rojer just shook his head that he didn’t know her, other than by reputation. Maybe a bit better than that, but it wasn’t something he was allowed to talk about.

“He didn’t fixate on me. I was on temporary duty from the Scimitar on the Ferengi homeworld. The Ferengi had offered, for a low fee, to facilitate new trades routes to help the Romulan people after Hobus. As a seasoned Captain with fairly uncontroversial service record, someone no side had any trouble with. I accepted.” He finished his drink as a chill ran up his spine. He did not like to relive those weeks.

Rojer had raised an eyebrow at the “fairly uncontroversial service record” statement, but remained quiet. It was his time to listen, not comment.

“Idrani, my first officer back then, took command of the Scimitar for the time being. The ship had been sent to offer aid to the Romulan outposts, delivering medical supplies and food and clothing replicators. Starfleet HQ assigned an Ambassador to the ship who turned out to be someone working against us. Facilitating the murder and switching out the Praetor’s nephew with an operative from the Section.”

The XO frowned. “They were successful then? Or did you thwart their plan and made Dixon hate you? Because that is what it looks like from this side of the picture.”

“No” he said firmly and leaned back in the seat with a barely audible sigh. “I almost got my crew killed. They were the ones who thwarted the plan and managed, with the help of Captain Suder, to obtain a Romulan transport and clearance codes to reach the new head of government and apprehend the imposter….on their way there…” he trailed off momentarily and looked back at Rojer. “I woke up in his custody. A bargaining piece. He commed the team using codes he obtained from me… tried to talk them down and threatened them with my life. Which he then took when they refused.”

Rojer didn't say anything for a long moment. "You were dead? And not just clinically for a few moments, I'm guessing." This was a lot to take in. He then cleared his throat and poured them both another drink. "Glad to see you got better," he quipped, not knowing how else to react.

Jonathan raised his glass and then took a sip “Thank you… he shot me in the chest in front of my crew. They all saw me die, but he brought me back, for a reason. He could use a pawn, someone on the frontlines that would unknowingly spy for him. He planted a small microchip in my head. Fed him information on what I did for the rest of the year. He believed he could use me to further his agenda, whatever that is. The chip later malfunctioned, shorting out parts of my brain. It was only through the expert help from Starfleet Medical and Doctor Lee that I recovered. I was in a coma for months. None of this made it into the official records of course. Dixon made sure of that, and… so did I. I couldn’t live with the shame of what I had done for him.”

He listened to the story, his eyebrows making forays towards his eyebrows a few times. "Quite a Machiavellian thing to do, I'd say. And you were the unwilling participant in his scheme, there is no shame in it." He pursed his lips. "But now what do we do? Go after him or just fend off his attacks and try not to see our asses either way?"

Jonathan sighed and emptied his glass once more “There’s more. When we investigated that shipyard before the war. Dixon was behind that, or so we believe. Dixon, the Section. I don’t know… but there was suspicion that the war might have been… prepared.” Just when he thought he couldn't be more surprised, Jonathan drops that tidbit on him.

"Well, Dixon was there, so he knew what was going on. And thinking about what you've told me so far, I can't say that I am really surprised that the war may have been staged to get rid of elements they didn't want in place anymore."

Jonathan nodded “What happens now, I am not sure. I am going to confer with HQ... not sure how much I will tell them, but we need orders before continuing. You keep this ship heading towards the Badlands and find that device and destroy it. This is still your ship so I won’t interfere.”

Rojer nodded. "Keep me appraised of what they have to say, and thank you but I'm ready for you to take up the reigns again when Izzy clears you for duty." He got up and headed for the door. "There is some things I need to take care of."

Commander

Re: XO Commander Rojer Lyon

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:26 am

Fantastic writing, guys.
I appreciated the recap, too, 'cause phew! there's a lot of history at this stage to remember!

Lieutenant

aCO Commander Rojer Lyon 11602.01 (Joint log with NAV)

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 am

Lieutenant

aCO Commander Rojer Lyon 11602.08

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:32 am

Rojer sat watching the happenings in the brig, a small thought at the back of his head asking if he was a therapist, director of a play or just a pushover. He told the voice to shut up and removed his finger from the control to release the anesthezine gas as Niamh stepped away from Adria.

He would have gassed the entire ship if he had to, but Danann did what he thought she would do. He had his doubts if it would stop at the threat of the laser scalpel, but they were unfounded in the end. Head butting the Orion was and added bonus.

He felt sorry for Ensign Stark. He was full of hope and optimism when he had joined the ship. It was a sad thing to see all the bright and shiny getting dulled by reality and the sometimes ruthless style of command that he’s been exposed to thus far. Jonathan had a unique style of command and Rojer himself had been in (slight) moral grey areas of late. The truth was that it couldn’t always be rainbows and puppies and marshmallow clouds. Not out here.

He was glad that Adria would be off their hands now. She was someone else’s problem, but he would personally go yell at Admiral Harpy in her office if the green-skinned bitch ever got released, or she escaped.

Now they had to deal with the Genesis device. He just hoped the information from Adria was correct, relevant or he’d settle for true. He was getting tired of the Badlands and wanted to laze about on a Risan beach for a week. Maybe two… months.

Lieutenant

aCO Commander Rojer Lyon 11602.15

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:44 am

Rojer groaned from his bed. “Ethan?”

Silence in their quarters.

Shit. He forgot that Ethan was on duty and he was down for the count in bed.

Broken tibia and fibula, the Gamma shift doctor said. Can’t walk on it for a few days, he added while working with the hand tractor to pull the bones back into place after injecting Rojer with blessed anesthetics. Some injections and the nice medication will make you all better in no time. Use crutches and come back in a day or two. Dr Rousseau will look you over then.

Don’t do something as stupid as trying to kick so your holographic opponent does a knee spike check in response, Rojer thought, angry at himself and the programmer. Damned program had those parameters included and he didn't know. It was a fluke. It happens. Not often, but often enough, the hologram had said before being deactivated.

He glared sullenly at the window looking out over the hull. One deck away from the bridge and he was missing everything.

“Computer, relay the bridge main viewer to the wall panel.” He heard the message from Adria, and he watched as the new world gets made. He started crying as the system’s name gets logged and shows on the screen.

Damned medication was making him emotional.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:39 pm

"Damned medication was making him emotional."

<3

Lieutenant

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Aoibhe Ni wrote:"Damned medication was making him emotional."

<3

:D

That's his excuse and he's sticking to it. At least he was in bed where no-one could see it.

Lieutenant

XO Commander Rojer Lyon 11602.22 (Joint log with NAV)

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Nurse Desto swiftly moved the medical trolley out of the line of fire. "Get the- get the-" she ordered, waving a frantic hand at a tricorder left on the neighbouring biobed. Two of the orderlies raced for it, both aware that they were putting themselves in the line of fire. But they were too late. The tricorder was grabbed before they reached it and moments later was seen flying through the air in the direction of the main double doors.

Nurse Desto once more tapped her comm badge. "Security! Security to Medical Unit Gamma!"

Danann gripped the side of the biobed that she'd been directed to on entering Sickbay several minutes previously. "No, no security... just..." she slurred, waving a little from the intoxicating effects of the alcohol, "... just fix my hand, for the love of god, will ya?"

--

The commbadge chirped, startling him a little from his reverie, sitting on the holodeck in his favourite Risan program. He wasn't even sure what time it was, but with the crew being on shore leave, he wasn't surprised it was not too long since they docked.

"Lyon," he answered.

"Sir, we have a situation on the station," came the duty OPS officer's voice.

"Are we talking level 5 diagnostic, or warp core breach, Ensign?" he said mildly.

"About a blown EPS conduit, sir," came the reply. "Or whatever level of emergency a drunken Irishwoman in Station medical would be," the voice continued uncertainly.

He glanced at Ethan. "Blown EPS conduit seems about right." Ethan just nodded, a bemused smile on his face. "Thank you, Ensign. I will attend to this personally."

Rojer heaved himself to his feet. "Sorry, love. Seems our heartsister has got herself into some trouble." He held out a hand and pulled the dark-haired man to his feet, and together they headed over to the station's medical facility. They even remembered to change into uniforms before leaving the ship.

---

"I said, NO!" The two men heard Danann order as the main doors of Sickbay parted.

"But it's procedure, ma'am... please, just calm down. It's just a few scans."

"The devil with your 'few scans'!" she retorted, making about as much sense as the universal translator could manage, "and hang your procedure!"

"Any anomalous readings need to be investigat-" Nurse Desto ducked as a PADD came flying in her direction.

"Commander Danann!" Rojer snapped when he entered the facility. "You may want to remember that you're an officer, not a hooligan." He glared at her, in the vain hope that it would shock her enough to submit to the medical staff's ministrations. Vain being the operative word. Ethan just stood there, looking disappointed in her.

"Ah, is it you two that's in it?..." she said, her bleary eyes travelling from one to the other. "...joined at the fuckin' hip, yis are," she grumbled incoherently. "My knights in shining armour, is it?" She straightened for a moment. "Are yis here to rescue them from me, or me fr'm them, eh?" She picked up another PADD, hefting its weight in her uninjured hand.

Nurse Desto looked at Lyon helplessly. "There's no doctor on call, sir. I have to follow procedure."

"Not at the hip," he said with a smirk. "And you can be glad we are in uniform. You interrupted some leisure time on the holodeck, there were swimsuits involved. We came to rescue them from you. Just let them fix you up and then you can go back to drinking." He shot the nurse a reassuring look.

Niamh frowned. "They want to scan me, Roj."

The nurse sighed. "I keep telling her, its standard procedure. I noticed something... amiss with her abdomen. I need to examine her further."

"You do not." Niamh gruffed. "You need to shut your pretty mouth and fix my damn hand."

"Your diligence is commendable, nurse, but in this instance you can skip the scans. Our doctor is well aware of the Commander's medical needs. If you want to keep your extremities, I suggest you just treat the cut and only that." He gave a sardonic smile. "Please. I will authorise whatever is needed."

Desto threw her small huddled staff a skeptical glance, then decided that the only way out of this worrisome situation was to agree with the two nice men.

"Yes sir." She advanced on Danann, one eye on the PADD she still held in her hand. "Let me see your hand, ma'am."

Niamh presented her sliced palm with an indignant sniff. The blood had started to clot and crack along the wound, and little splinters of glass could be seen here and there. "Was that so damn hard?" Danann asked into the tense silence.

"Thank you," he said to the nurse with a smile, watching her work. "Don't push your luck," he added warningly to Niamh. "This woman is only doing it so she can get rid of you. Let her finish and I will let you go back to drinking."

Niamh winced through her alcoholic haze, holding onto a comical, alcoholic dignity that only a practiced drinker can manage, as Desto tended to her hand.

"I'm off duty, Rojer," she mentioned, gesturing to her clearly non-issue loose fitting top with low cut back, and her casual trousers. "Your pips mean divil-the-nothing right now, yea?" She turned and looked at Ethan, attempting a smile. "Care to join me in a few jars?"

Rojer gave her a long look. "You may be off duty, but you are still an officer of the Hyperion, and as such what you do still affects the ship's reputation."

Ethan just shook his head in bemused wonder at her tenacity before turning to his husband. "Maybe we should go with her to make sure there aren't more injuries," he suggested mildly.

"Don't bother..." she said to Ethan before Lyon could respond. "Wouldn't want to spoil his precious reputation by associating with a station-rat like me."

Rojer bit his tongue, letting Ethan handle things. His voice carried easily to her ears. "His reputation already suffered when he married me, so no worries there." It was light-hearted, hoping to make her smile at least. Rojer made a sound of protest which Ethan ignored.

She pulled her hand back as Desto deactivated the regenerator. Danann examined her palm, satisfied with the repair work. "Besides, I don't need two chaperones killing the mood."

"As for killing the mood, you're doing well all by yourself," Ethan said mildly.

She handed the PADD she was holding to Ethan and set to rummaging in her pocket. "Here," she said as she passed Rojer unsteadily, "mind this." She slapped the small, velvet bag Rome had given her against his chest.

Rojer shook out the contents of the pouch, sighing at the medal that dropped onto his palm. That would explain the mood she's in.

Niamh carried on walking, her fingers lightly tipping bio beds, bulkheads and standalone medical units for balance as she made her way towards the main doors. "One big hap—... happy family yis are, aiy. Must been grand... "

Rojer started retorting but Ethan cut him off. "Don't comment on things you know nothing about, Niamh Danann. You're not the only one what had a fucked-up childhood or suffered loss. Go! Wallow in your self-pity." He paused to take a deep breath. "We'll be here when you want to crawl out of the whiskey barrel, or whatever bottle of green crap you're swilling."

He grabbed Rojer's arm and started dragging him from the room. "Make sure you're sober when you get back on duty, I don't want to end up running your department because you can't."

Niamh's face fell as Ethan spoke. "Can't even use my shore leave the way I want to any more, is that it?" she grumbled, glancing from one to the other.

"You can use your fucking shore leave any way you want," Rojer snapped before Ethan could stop him. "I'll be sure to have security on standby to get you from the brig when the time comes. Enjoy your time off." He stormed off, leaving Ethan and Niamh behind.

"When exactly did I join the Tal Shiar?" She threw Ethan a blustering look, challenging him to reply, then she waved a hand in the air. "Ah, who cares? Screw this." Then she left.

Ethan sighed to himself as she also leaves, without really giving him a chance to respond. "So much for an enjoyable shore leave," he said to no-one in particular before heading out of the medical facility himself. "Maybe Blue Horizon will be better," he muttered to himself without much hope as he headed back to the ship and what would probably end up being a fight in their quarters.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion