SCI Ensign Carem Sulev

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Ensign

Character Name: Ensign Carem Sulev

SCI Ensign Carem Sulev

Postby Emile S » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:31 am

SCI Log, Stardate 11602.10

''What have I got myself into...'''

The young Cadet was laying on his bed. He had just finished reading the most recent logs and reports to be up-to-date with what was going on aboard the ship, and he was completely overwhelmed. This was unlike anything he expected. Going from studying apes on the surface of a beautiful planet enjoying a luxurious flora to having more than a dozen death on the ship along with a terrorist prisoner, an uncapacitated captain and a terraforming weapon nearby was an abrupt transition.

He stood up and walked to the food dispenser. ''Sencha green tea, warm, in a wooden cup, please''. Upon reception of his beverage, he thanked the computer, as he always does, and sat at his desk, briefly going over the content displayed on the screen before ending all programs. His brain was tired from all this reading, the gravity of the current events growing into an headache.

Carem was worried about this assignment. The Hyperion was, after all, a warship, designed for combat. But him, he was an anthropologist, straight out of the Academy, trained for A&A duty. Not really the best fit for a science officer. What if he didn't have the knowledge to find a solution regarding astrophysics? Does he even have enough leadership? Suddenly, he felt unworthy of his task, condemned to crumble under the pressure. A sentiment unfit for a trained Starfleet officer.

''Nonsense'', muttered Carem to himself before taking a sip of tea, gently holding the cup with boths hands. He crossed his legs and adopted a better posture, inhaling and exhaling deeply. He spent the week working with and getting to know the science division of the ship. It was filled with more experienced scientists specialized in multiples fields. Carem knew working with them wouldn't be a problem.

That reassured him, for he knew he'd have a lot to do in the following days. The morale on the ship was low. Everyone seemed to have been emotionally involved in the crisis caused by Adria, as proven by the events in the brig. Everyone, including him. The loss of so many crewmembers were a shock to Carem, who was informed upon his arrival on his ship. Surely, a first assignment couldn't have a more brutal start unless he'd be amongst the dead. The danger of the Starfleet lifestyle finally checked in. And Carem could confirm: he was not prepared for it.

''Maybe I should speak with senior staff'', he thought. But that would wait.

He dressed in something comfortable and made his way to the holodeck. After an half an hour meditation, he'll have to research wich is the best way for the ship's sensors to localize the Genesis device. It's an odd enough machine, luckily it won't be too hard of a job...
Last edited by Emile S on Thu May 12, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCI - Ensign Carem Sulev - USS Hyperion

Commander

Re: SCI Cadet Carem Sulev

Postby Einar S » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 am

fantastic intro log and I really look forward to meeting Sulev :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:38 am

Really great writing, I love your style! A perfect introduction, Emile, keep it up. :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

Stardate 11602.23

Postby Emile S » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:46 pm

SCI log, Stardate 11602.23

The incessant rain was pouring over the sequoias and the tall trees of the jungle, cascading on the large leaves and palms. The interaction between the falling water and the diverse flora created a soothing white noise, for all the elements of nature communed into a single one.

Among the peaceful storm, Carem Sulev was sitting on the ground in a meditative stance. At first glance, his eyes would seem half-shut, but really, they were wide open. He didn't mind the weather, for he was part of it all.

Out of the chaos of the rain appeared a man. He seemed old, older than a star. As he got closer to him, Carem could embrace the man's traits. His skin was dark, as if even a blade couldn't get through it, and his hair and clothes had a ceremonial aura. Everything about him was archaic, yet Carem felt he belonged to now.

The old man stopped one meter in front of the scientist, before sitting down in the exact same position. He grabbed Carem's hands, reading them with his own. The man was warm, yet it didn't feel like Carem was touching someone. It was closer to holding an animated hand made out of clay. After a moment, the man stopped and closed his eyes. He began breathing in a rhythmic fashion, just as though he was following the beat of a drum.

All of a sudden, he opened his eyes and began chanting loundly in a long forgotten language. His eyes were staring straight into Carem's. The cadet couldn't look away, as he saw himself dive amidst the infinite darkness of the elder's pupils. His consciousness slowly changed as his senses lost their use one by one.

Instead of a rainforest, he was seeing a multitude of geometrical patterns in constant evolution. The notion of time slipped away from his mind, for the entirety of history, past and future, was vibrating through him. He could not determine whether it was the old man's chant he was hearing, or simply the subtle motion of all things in the Universe as life unfolded before him. With each passing second, Carem felt like he lived a millenia, acquiring instantaneous knowledge and understanding of the ways of the cosmos.

Out of the fabrics of the experience resonated the deep sound of a gong. The cadet fell back into his body.

He opened his eyes.

The rain had stopped, but droplets were still dripping from the trees. Carem stood up and stretched, breathing deeply. He looked at the time.

He had been meditating for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

''Curious'', he thought. ''Usually, I only go this far after nearly 10 hours''. Well, he did have a rough couple weeks.

''Computer, terminate program.'' The rainforest left its place to a holodeck, and Carem made his way to his quarters.

The Hyperion was on its way to the planet ''Blue Horizon'', where the crew would spend its shore leave. Sulev was pleased to go on vacation so quickly after being assigned, but given the intensity of the ship's activities, he knew he would not get the chance to go mellow so often. Still, it was a great occasion to visit (and learn about, of course) a new planet. It would also give him some time to work on the frequency modulation synthesis program he started shortly before joining the Hyperion. He was eager to finish it, for he had not played music since his academy days.

He entered his quarters, got a cup of tea from the replicator and sat at his desk. His computer's screen was filled with data. He sighed and closed it.

Over the past few days, upon his arrival at Starbase 375, Carem has been working around the clock on the new system that was beginning to take form in the Badlands following the detonation of the Genesis device. It was, indeed, the first time that such an event proved to be successful, and the cadet was honored to have witnessed it. Hell, he even was the one to mark the new Anatonia system on the map! The data he provided Starfleet managed to keep him busy for almost the entirety of their stay at the Starbase. Well, him and a crew of more experienced, higher-ranked scientists with better specialization. He did contribute to the research, but eventually, they thanked him for his discovery, and assured him that he will remain updated periodically. It did bug him for a while, but after a bit of socializing with Ensign Stark and Captain Rome, he got over it. After all, he was a young cadet.

Experience would come. That, he was sure of it. And he aspired to get to know the rest of the crew better. He knew there was a lot he could learn from them, on every level.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 pm

I heard the distinct sounds of didgeridoos while reading that. Very nicely written, Emile :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Ensign

Postby Emile S » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:34 am

Thanks! Didjeridoos are like the cowbells of wind instruments, the more you have in your life the better!

Commander

Re: Stardate 11602.23

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Emile S wrote:The incessant rain was pouring over the sequoias and the tall trees of the jungle, cascading on the large leaves and palms. The interaction between the falling water and the diverse flora created a soothing white noise, for all the elements of nature communed into a single one.

What a wonderfully atmospheric first line. You had me hooked from the start, Emile. Nice writing!

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Agreed, absolutely stunning writing! Nicely done, Emile, keep up the fantastic work - it's a joy to read.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 pm

fantastic writing! I can't wait for more :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Stardate 11603.03

Postby Emile S » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:38 pm

SCI log, Stardate 11603.03

Carem had misplaced his foot and lost his balance, plunging onto his certain death, before a tanned hand grabbed his harm strongly and pulled him back on track.

''Watch your steps, friend! We wouldn't want to come pick up your body tomorrow morning, we all have better things to do'', said the guide jokingly with a nudge.

Laying his eyes in the crevasse a few hundred meters down, Sulev knew he would've had plentiful of time to realize that his life would have ended here if Tarim didn't save him. Grateful, he thanked him and the two got back to their hiking.

The Da Vinci Falls were, of course, a major attraction on Blue Horizon, and it would be easy for anyone to have access to a very friendly exhibition to see the wonder from all points of view. But Carem wasn't a big fan of institutionalized tourism. For him, in order to truly witness an event or a location, you had to experience it as it really is. So, he showed up in a small village, dressed for hiking, and had breakfast with a few locals. It didn't take long before Tarim walked up to him, asking about his attire. Of course, Tarim knew the whole falls like the back of his hand, and was eager to show a Starfleet officier areas not open to the public.

Carem's interest for the falls was genuine. Reading about Blue Horizon on his way to the terraformed planet, he discovered that there is a lot on it that was worth a look. Nothing out of the extraordinary, of course. The planet's ecosystem was carefully crafted by arguably the greatest terraformer that ever lived, who granted it with a cleverly simple fauna and flora. But the Da Vinci Falls might have something special that wouldn't normally attract the everyday tourist.

They were now on their third day of hiking. Two more and they would reach the summit. The sun has set, and they were resting comfortably near a campfire, telling each other stories from their worlds, their culture, and sharing their thoughts about life and death. Surrounding them were the large leaves of the mountain's trees, and appart from the natural light of the night and the fire, a small amount of fireflies flew around. The distant sound of endless cascades of water was relaxing. After a few hours of talking and smoking, Tarim finally asked a question that was bothering him for a while.

''Say, Carem, you're a science officier, but you ain't like the other science folks that I've seen before, right? I noticed the way you look at things, how you gently pressed these leaves we saw earlier, how you stick your hand in the mud.'' He raised his head. ''There's something about your interaction with what's around us that's very unique for someone at Starfleet. This is a beautiful, yet very simple planet, compared to some alien worlds you've probably seen. So, tell me, why are you so fascinated by this? Why didn't you just take the grand tour like everyone else?''

Carem remained silent for a moment, contemplating the possible answers. He put down the pipe, and addressed the guide.

''Well, there are many ways I could answer that. I can think of one that I'd define as more 'epistemological', more research-oriented. And another one that might be a little bit too intense for tonight, I dunno.'' He chuckled. ''Which one do you want?''

''I want both'', replied Tarim. Carem smiled, and reached for his PADD in his bag.

''Here. I've had a few friends at the Academy who were very into mycology, you know, the study of fungus, mushrooms. I happened to write to one of these friends, just to catch up. And when I told him that I was on my way to Blue Horizon, for shore leave, he sent me this.''

He handed Tarim the PADD.

''Turns out that he did a paper on how the humidity and moisture caused by the falls caused the growth of a certain type of fungus that was never observed before. He doesn't know if it's gonna be mold, or a mushroom, or whatever, but if I can get my hand on some, he says it would greatly help him in his research. He thinks it might have a link with the planet's terraformation, and he wants to prove it. He might get promoted, and all that. Fascinating, isn't it?''

Tarim yawned and handed Carem back his PADD, nodding.

''Cool stuff. But I can see that you're not only here to find some weird 'shrooms. When you look around, smelling the fresh air, you look grateful! That's what I really want to know about.''

Carem looked up to the stars. ''I know what you mean. I dunno. I guess I'm just happy not to be on a spaceship. I'm not sure if it's my place, up there. Have you ever been to Earth?''

'' As in Terra from the Sol system? Nop'. My family moved here soon after the planet was terraformed, and I was born here.''

''Well, I have. It really is something to wander along the plains of Africa, thinking about how our ancestors, the very first humans like you and me, managed to learn and adapt from nature, all the way to us, now, playing with the very core of matter to suit our needs. I spent a good amount of time with a tribe related to the Rubber Tree people, I don't know if you've heard about them, but I learned a lot of things during my time there. It changed my perception of what humanity really is about. It's hard to explain.''

Tarim left the log he was sitting on and laid next to Carem.

''I've seen a few Starfleet people like yourself, from when I worked in town last week. I don't recall seeing anyone as young as you.''

''I'm not that young, you know!''

''That's not what I mean. The bigger ones, the captains and commanders and whatnot. Some of them might be roughly your age, yet I can tell that a lot of them are much older than you are now. From what I hear, you haven't been on this ship for long. Starfleet is a thing of adventures and discovery. You say your trip to Earth changed your life, made you learn a lot about yourself and others. Think of all you can learn through your missions! Your journey on that ship has just begun, buddy, and trust me, you'll grow a lot more with time.''

''I guess you're right, Tarim. You're very wise, you know?''

''Ask my grandma, I bet she'd disagree!'' They laugh. ''Come on, hand me that pipe, then we can sleep! We still have a few thousands meters to climb!''
Last edited by Emile S on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion