SCI Ensign Carem Sulev

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Re: SCI Cadet Carem Sulev

Postby Einar S » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:01 am

a truly brilliant log! well done :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Character Name: Ensign Carem Sulev

Stardate 11603.21

Postby Emile S » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 pm

SCI Log , Stardate 11603.21

Sulev removed his shoes and socks as soon as he stepped into his room. The cold of the floor under his feet felt refreshing and made him feel comfortable. He sat at his desk and noticed he had received a message.

''Hello Carem,

I hope you enjoyed your shore leave; I bet Blue Horizon is a dream to visit! I'm looking forward to going on the planet myself and give those fungi a look myself.
We received the data you sent from the sample, which is on its way as I type this. I can't thank you enough for giving us a hand with this, even since it was all theoretical, but I knew you'd be interested in this mystery!
I'll let you know how it turns out, and I am of course in your debt.

Additionally, congratulations on a damn fine assignment! The Hyperion, that isn't for everyone, and I must say I didn't know it was your type.

I wish you luck on your mission. Have fun, and stay safe!

Ensign Lou Cloutier''

Carem smiled and turned off his computer before diving into the exctasy of his bedsheets. He felt like he had not slept since forever. The Warp jump occured without any major incident, but the cadet had to monitor the whole thing very closely. He was not used to keep his attention on monitors for such a long time and was suffering from a slight headache. Nothing a good tea and some fresh air in the holodeck wouldn't take care off...

The PADD sitting on his desk lit the room faintly. Carem sat and reached for it. Captain Rome wanted everyone in the observation lounge. Looks like the tea will have to wait.
SCI - Ensign Carem Sulev - USS Hyperion

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:13 pm

Some absolutely fantastic logs recently, Emile! Keep it up, they're wonderful to read.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:58 am

James is right, love reading these :) keep up the good work
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Stardate 11310.15 /Stardate 11610.21

Postby Emile S » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:42 pm

____ log, Stardate 11310.15

''I'm telling you, man! None of it is legal!

Wearing a handmade beanie with a dirty tanktop, it would be hard for a lot of folks to take him seriously. But Carem knew him well enough to know better.

''Do you have any examples of events that seem suspicious?'', asked the curly-haired cadet.

''Dude!''

His friend walked up to his armchair, staring into his eyes.

''The insurrection I wrote a paper about, the one that got rejected because I was allegedly 'misinformed'? They liquidated them all, and suppressed the media! Try and learn about it, and you'll only find a random note about a colony torn by a civil war some hundred years ago, but that's bullshit. They have been at it for hundreds of years, I'm telling you!''

''Right.'' Carem seemed amused.

''Oh, and what about this ethnologist that was supposed to do this lecture right here at the Academy a few years ago? Francis, you were there, you must remember!''

He adressed someone sitting on a couch further back in the dorm. Francis was slim, dark-haired with a hazy stubble. He was reading a book by a long-time forgotten Russian author, Mikhail Bakunin. He raised his eyebrows and looked at the two other students, his head still facing the pages.

''Yes, Max. That was three years ago, I remember it all too well, and I do not wish to tell that story again.''

''But, Frank!'' Max walked towards him. ''You have to tell Carem! He hasn't heard it yet!''

Frank sighed, placed a bookmark into his book and put it down. He stood up and walked towards Carem, sitting in the armchair in front of him. He grabbed the product on the table and rolled himself a cigarette.

''We were a commitee of Academy students devoted to offering an... 'alternative' source of information. The administration didn't really care. You know, we're all encouraged to get involved politically. Anyway, they left us alone until we asked an ethnologist called Alexander Lovell to do a lecture about the slaughter of the indigenous people of a recently discovered planet. He had just published an extremely controversial article on the matter that created a lot of ... For a little while.''

''What happened?'', asked Carem, extremely intrigued.

Francis licked the paper and, with the cigarette, pointed towards the window. He and Carem walked next to it while Max quickly turned on a perfuming device before joining them. They lit the cigarette, exhaling through the window.

''Well, on the day of his arrival here, the whole commitee was ready to welcome him. Only, as soon as he got out of his shuttle, we were surrounded by security guards. And I mean a lot of them. They claimed that Lovell was under arrest, but wouldn't tell us his charges. They told us to get back to our dorms., We would, but Lovell was being grabed by two men wearing all black. They were punching him. So, of course, we protested. Things got heated with the guards, and they beat us up. I was expelled for a year.''

''Fucking fascists'', uttered Max.

''Wait, I don't get it... When was this? Three years ago? My mother is a teacher, here, surely I would have heard about it!''

''Ask her. She's a Starfleet officer. She knows there are things beyond her. She'll probably tell you he was an extremist, that story makes everyone happy.''

Max sighed and walked towards the nearest bottle of booze. He poured himself a glass.

''I'm sure they do their little secret operations on a daily basis, and Starfleet intelligence knows about it. But so do we, and we will tell all the United Planets!''

He stood on the table and raised his fist, in a drunken stance.

''The ruling elite has played us for too long! They are the poison of the Federation, making its blood curdle and corrupt its principles of peace and equality. We, the common folks, the peasantry, the proletariat, have the real power, and we will not be silenced! Their violent mascarades shall crumble, for the pen is mighter than the sword!''

Frank violently pushed Max off the table and into the armchair beside, the bottle falling on the floor without breaking. Max laughed at first, but his smirk quickly disappeared when he saw Frank wasn't playing games.

''Maybe you should shut your mouth and write a little more'', said the older cadet. ''This newsletter isn't just about political awareness. It's about exposing the truth. That Starfleet is far from democratic. Their mission isn't exploration nor discovery. They're just as bad as any other kingdoms. They do things behind their people's back. They pull the strings of the world according to their plans, breaking every law they claim they stand for. It is nothing but a mascarade.

Silence. Francis picked up his book, and began walking towards the door.

''Why are you here, Frank?''

He stopped, and turned towards Carem.

''You keep saying 'their', 'them', 'Starfleet', as if it was something out there. But aren't we Starfleet? We're Starfleet cadets, this is Starfleet Academy, this is why we're here. To be part of it. So tell me, Francis, if you resent it so much: Why are you here?''

The older cadet looked down, formulating his answer in his head. He smiled.

''Because I believe in it. I believe in the Federation. That's why we must fight.''

Sulev looked confused. Francis kept his smile.

''I don't have to convince you, Carem. You'll find out the truth yourself. Experience is the best teacher.'' He turned to Max, then back to Sulev. ''Editing starts next week. Please hand me your papers before friday.''

Frank walked out of the room. Carem was standing, still staring at the closed door, reviewing the conversation in his mind. Max left his armchair, picked up the bottle on the floor, and went into his room. Although he strongly disagreed with a lot of Starfleet's politics and actions, Sulev was confused by Frank's allegations. He knew a few writers on the newsletter were a lot more radical than he was, but he didn't know it was the case of the editor-in-chief. A good night of sleep would help him clear his head. He'll have plenty of time to read about the arrest of Alexander Lovell after tomorrow's classes.

SCI Log, Stardate 11603.21

While most of the senior staff was busy with the quarantine procedures regarding the Hyperion's enigmatic guest, Carem was still sitting at his post on the Bridge.

When he wasn't making sure Commander Lyon didn't noticed that, in his haste to put on his shoes, he also forgot to put on sock, the cadet would stare into the abyss of his scanner. He knew something big was going on, and he felt like he was missing out. The idea of slipping out of his post to take a look did cross his mind, but he was needed. He had a job to do, and he intented on doing it well. Everything in its own time.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:49 pm

a fantastically written piece Emile! Love the setting and the idea of a radical youth newspaper at Starfleet Academy. Hope to see you revisit these years more :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:29 am

This was a joy to read, Emile. I hope we see more of his Academy days soon!

Ensign

SCI Log, Stardate 11605.02

Postby Emile S » Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 pm

SCI Log, Stardate 11605.02

PADD,field kit, tricorder... was he forgetting anything?

It was the first time since his assignment to the Hyperion that Sulev felt like he was ordered to do exactly what he'd trained for. His brain was on warp 9, going from programming nanoprobes to laying eyes upon the cellular structure of a Vendorian, and then going from that to scanning for potential Romulan threats.

And now he was packing for an away mission on a planet he didn't know much about.

Boy, was he glad to be alive in such a fantastic period of time!

Carem had been so busy that the issues bothering regarding Kette, their Vendorian guest, slipped off his mind. Perhaps that was the key to efficiency when on a starship: keeping busy.

He looked around the room ; he didn't seem to be forgetting anything. He sat down on the floor, crossing his legs and closing his eyes. He began breathing slowly, inhaling and exhaling with a precise depth. Focusing on nothing but his breathing, he remained in this position for about a minute and a half.

He needed to clear his mind, which was clouded by so much action. And he was happy he did, for he was going to forget his combadge on his desk. He looked at it for a moment, before pinning it to his uniform. He wanted to feel pride into it, but as long as he was gonna wear this Cadet outfit, he wouldn't feel like he'd made it yet.

At least the crew never made him feel like he wasn't part of the team.

Carem took his things and made his way to the turbolifts. He halted as the door opened in front of him. Turning back, he forgot another piece of gear.

He grabbed the phaser, set it on ''stun'', and left the room.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue May 03, 2016 11:43 am

I think it can be established that Sulev is an invaluable member of the team :) great log Emile!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Stardate 11605.09

Postby Emile S » Mon May 09, 2016 6:11 pm

SCI Log, Stardate 11605.09

The « away » mission didn't exactly go as planned. Despite Sulev's orders being to « take this opportunity to explore the planet », he spent the whole trip indoors, sitting in a chair next to the CO and the rest of the away team. Doesn't leave much room for scientific research.

However,he was glad to have been there. The location was incredibly interesting and he thoroughly enjoyed examining the architecture of the place. The captain seemed confident, which reassured Sulev about facing a bunch of Romulans. He never met one in person before and their reputation ran before them.

But when senator Rolan stormed into the room, the exciting ambiance turned red pretty quick. He clearly didn't come with good intentions, ready to hear captain Rome's points.

And when the conversation gpt a bit heated, the young Cadet prefered to go get a drink. Walking up the drinks table was, along with going to the bathroom, the greatest way to avoid an awkward situation.

Carem poured the hot beverage in his cup, satisfied to take a break from the Romulan's threats. All of a sudden,Rome himself appeared next to him.

« Blue alert ». What was a « blue alert », again? Gosh, Sulev couldn't put his finger on it. He remembered that it applied to multiple situations. Which one applied to now?

He barely had the time to walk up to Rome and the crew before the tickling feeling of being beamed up on the ship.

That's when Carem knew things weren't right. He rushed to his station, which was occupied by the ship's new cadet, Mr. Goodman. They candidly traded place ; Goodman was keeping his eyes on the Romulan ships.

The training took over the stress. Carem knew exactly what to do. He felt ready to face whatever was going to happen.

Even though maybe he wasn't.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion