SCI Ensign Carem Sulev

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Re: SCI Cadet Carem Sulev

Postby Einar S » Mon May 09, 2016 7:18 pm

great log Emile :) keep it up!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: SCI Cadet Carem Sulev

Postby James Greenman » Mon May 09, 2016 7:35 pm

A really great read, Emile! It's a perfect example of those little snippets of our characters thoughts when we only have 10 minutes or so for a time lapse - beautifully done!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

Character Name: Ensign Carem Sulev

Stardate 11605.22

Postby Emile S » Mon May 23, 2016 6:07 am

SCI Log, Stardate 11605.22

''I'm really proud of you, son. Ensign, wow, that sounds... That sounds great!''

''Thanks, Dad. I know you mean it.''

On the small viewscreen, a middle-aged man raised his glass. Balding slightly on the top, he nodded at Sulev.

''I'm still amazed to see you in this uniform, you know. It's always been something very alien to me. But on you, it's very familiar. It reminds me of your mother. How is she, by the way?''

''Oh, she's doing great! She was very happy when I told her about it. Said we'll have to celebrate next time I come home. She's been worried about my assignment, so she's glad I'm going up the ladder!''

''What makes her so worried? Are you on a warship?''

The question let Carem a bit uncomfortable. His dad's opinions regarding the Federation's affairs were quite drastic, not unlike Sulev's. But if he knew what they just came back from doing, he'd be outraged.

''...I wouldn't exactly call it that. We prefer the term 'tactical' around here...''

''It's a warship, isn't it?'' The grown man gave his son a condescending look.

''Look, I'm doing a great job, over here. The crew is probably the best Starfleet has to offer, I'm in good hands on this ship. Listen, I have to go. I'll write to you soon, alright?''

His father sighed. ''Alright. I trust you. You're a brilliant young man, Carem. I'm proud of you. Good night, son.''

''Good night, Dad. And thank you.''

The communication cut, and Carem turned of the viewscreen. He leaned over the latest reports. Cadet Goodman was doing an amazing job at the science station. His knowledge of astrochemistry and his ability to read and go through scans far exceeded Sulev's, who was confident the newcomer would be much more efficent on the station than he was.

Satisfied, he turned his attention to a particular folder he assembled. Those included anything related to Kette.

Formed to be an A&A officer, Carem was ecstatic to finally put his talents and passions to use. His biggest regret regarding their last operation was how the focus of his attention got distracted from the Vendorian to the tactically risqué situation in which they got dragged into. Boy, was he glad to be leaving.

Now, he would have enough time to give these files a look. He was particularily curious regarding commander Danann's interaction with Kette, especially the withdrawal effects which were still very present in the senior officer. She had developped a physical dependence after a single encounter with the Vendorian's abilities, something that is mostly associated with a handful of powerful substances such as some particularily strong opiates. An altered state of mind preceeded the symptoms in a manner Carem had never seen before. He'd have to talk about it with Danann. It wouldn't be easy for her, but these extraordinary events had to be documented. Maybe they would explain the Commander's behaviors.

Carem understood the opposition expressed by certain members of the crew and deep down, he knew he probably agreed with most of them. But in the high of his recent promotion, he felt right at home under Captain Rome's command. The trust his commanding officer put into him created a sentiment of responsability regarding his duties. Maybe it was because of a lack of information, but until he witnesses anything to dissuade him from doing so, he'd follow the Captain's command.
SCI - Ensign Carem Sulev - USS Hyperion

Commander

Re: SCI Ensign Carem Sulev

Postby Einar S » Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 pm

great log, a lot packed in and done very organically. Loved it!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 pm

That was a great read, Emile. And I really like how Sulev's opinion of Rome has formed in a logical manner.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm

I agree, this was a fantastic log, a really great piece of writing and I absolutely love the insights into Sulev's thinking.

Ensign

___ Log, Stardate 11401.08 / SCI Log, Stardate 11606.06

Postby Emile S » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:42 pm

___ Log, Stardate 11401.08

''Free Lovell! Free Lovell!''

The medias will probably say that there was around a thousand people reunited in the middle of the planet's biggest city. But really, they were over 5,000.

Some signs said ''Unmuzzle our scientists'', others more drastic said ''United Corruption of Planets''. There was even one on which were simply written the word ''Fuck''. Carem was amidst the crowd.

He wasn't carrying a sign, but that didn't stop him from shouting his message. ''Free Lovell! Free Lovell!''

The arrest of scientist Alexander Lovell three years earlier had gone viral in the local area, which was filled with Academy students and similar faculties and research facility. Not everyone took for granted the official statement regarding the reasons behind it. And now that his case was advancing, he had a second chance to be released. People who followed the case and knew Lovell did not commit any crime decided to organize and campaign for his absolute absolution.

And today was the day the trial was taking place. Thus why they were there, to show a good portion of the population supported Lovell. Carem expected the protest to be quite peaceful, since mostly students and people from the science community were really into the movement. But a few members of certains extremist groups decided to infiltrate the protest to cause havoc.

Surprisingly, a lot of the expected crowd actually participated when they began clashing with the wall of security officers. Carem himself got carried away, throwing rocks and projectiles to the men in the red uniforms, who themselves were better equiped than the protesters.

Stun grenades and decharges began to fuse. Sulev recognized his friend Max, desoriented after a stunning blast. He ran to him and grabbed him by the jacket.

''Max, bro, we gotta get the hell out of here!'' Max couldn't even hear him. They barely had the time to turn around that they were stunned and detained by security officers.

SCI Log, Stardate 11606.06

Sulev's mind wasn't particularily on the scanners, nor was it on the navigationnal system in front of him.
He had a quick chat with Dr. Rousseau regarding whether commander Danann was in good enough shape to talk about her experience with Kette. Apparently, she was extremely confrontational whenever the subject was approached, and even though her mood could be stabilized to encourage conversation, Carem didn't like that.

He'll speak with Danann when she'll be ready. Until then, he was going to assist her at the NAV station. Spending time with her will be very interesting.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:39 pm

really well done Emile! These Academy days logs are fun to read :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Absolutely loving these logs, Emile. It's really interesting to see the Federation without it's Utopia-coloured Frosting, and it's definitely one of my favourite things to explore. Brilliant work!

Ensign

SCI Log, Stardate 11608.18

Postby Emile S » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 pm

SCI Log, Stardate 11608.18

When time is too scarce to spend a little bit of it in the Holodeck, Sulev turns towards the second best location for his stress management activities: the restroom.

For instance, he was currently in a cabin, remembering ancient meditative breathing techniques to calm him down, calm he truly needed.

At the end of their last mission, when they had a bit of time at Starbase 375, Carem tried to get as much rest as he could, but he couldn't help the feeling that occupied his thoughts. A feeling of anguish that kept him awake or disturbed his meditations.

He felt for the dead. He remembered the first time he laid foot onto the Hyperion, more than a dozen people had just died. And more followed. The crew assured him the situation was beyond extraordinary, but Carem didn't really feel as if things were different.

Hundreds of people, humans, Cardassians and more, died in the events surrounding the Herald's destruction. Sulev saw the numbers, and they shook him up. They shook him up good.

He always knew he wasn't a soldier. Hell, he even fought against certain tactical and political actions made by Starfleet and the Federation a couple years back. But the death of the Herald's crew, or the Cardassian's, didn't come from warfare. It came from... Out there. This thing, that they're doing. Exploring space, discovering new life and uncovering mysteries of the Universe. That thought helped him make peace with those events. Still, it didn't prevent him from looking out how hard it would be to be assigned to a more scientific-oriented ship, where his specialization in xenoanthropology and archeology would be more useful. He concluded that it wouldn't be worth the hassle, and he liked the Hyperion's crew. So, he went back to his quarters.

When he entered his room, he noticed a blinking on his computer. Next mission's briefing. He glanced at it... and jumped of joy!

First contact with a new civilization seemed like the exact kind of things he joined Starfleet for. Immediately, he retrieved all ethnological information he could get his hands on regarding D'rell and its civilization. This mission motivated him greatly, and it showed for the first part of the mission... Until the explosion.

When Carem saw the explosion on the viewscreen, his enthusiasm dropped significantly. Gosh, he hated war. The fact that it didn't come from the D'rell themselves was reassuring, but the Romulan vessel was the topping on the pizza.

And there was the young scientist, sitting in the toilet cabin, breathing in a curious pattern that calmed him down in the matter of a few minutes. He had just spent a little bit less than an hour determining the efficiency of the D'rell's scanning equipment. He sent his reports to CO, XO and the senior staff, as he did with his initial ethnological report which, he was sure of it, wouldn't get looked at much. The situation has gone tactical, and he'll have to play his part. Here. On the ship. Not down on the planet where he would get to do actual research on the D'rell.

Oh, well. Everything has its time. Sulev did understand how ''touchy'' the diplomatical situation was for every faction involved. His trust was again in Rome, Lyon and the rest of the Hyperion's crew. Sulev turned out to have an immense appreciation of his fellow crewmates. Their expertise and capacity to react perfectly in every situation were a huge inspiration for him.

Sulev wiped whatever tears were left around his eyes, splashed water on his face, dried with a towel and went towards the bridge.

He had his orders.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion