SCI Ensign Anthony Goodman

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Anthony Goodman

Re: AUX Ensign Anthony Goodman

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Ensign's Log, Stardate 11608.02 (with Cadet Maalku Afiza)
Note: takes place before the last sim session

Goodman had been off duty for two hours by orders of the Captain. It was night, yet the Ensign had no intention of going to sleep knowing that the long range sensors were glitched during Quantum Slipstream travel. Who knows if that could dangerously affect the ship, so he felt the need to fix this problem before it was too late. He kept pacing around his room, trying to find a way to do this without actually disobeying direct orders. After another minute walking in circle, he stopped, smiling at the thought that just appeared to his mind.
He pressed his commbadge decisively.
"Goodman to Afiza. I hope I haven't woken you up, but...would you join me for a drink in the Mess Hall while bringing a PADD?" He was sure she understood what he meant.

Afiza sipped her synthale and looked at the PADD again, wondering how they would be able to get the sensors to realise that two points of space were being pulled together. The rest of her shift had been filled with various routine maintenance tasks, it was never-ending but necessary. During her time at the Academy she had been notorious for her motto "Engineers don't sleep, they lubricate and then run a full system diagnostic." She was lubricating just now, the diagnostic would come later when she got back to her quarters and put her feet up.

The commbadge call gave her a little bit of a fright, not expecting anyone to be in contact at this time of day. She smiled when she heard who it was, "Afiza here, I'm already in the Mess Hall, just having a drink and a read of our little problem before turning in. You're welcome to join me."

Goodman was glad to hear her voice and see that she was a workaholic like him. Even though only a few days passed since they first met, it looked to him that every day he interacted with her, he found positive traits of her personality, and he couldn't wait to share more adventures and stories with the cadet. Of course, given how she reacted during their first conversation, he now knew that there were some topics that were best left undiscussed, at least for the moment or until she was actually the one who decided to talk about them. Besides, there were some subject he probably wouldn't discuss as well, so he could see her point.
But that night their dialogues were certainly not going to be about trivial matters: they had a problem to fix, and procrastinating wouldn't do them any good. Maybe after a certain point they could take a break...but not after trying out some solutions, that was clear to him.

"That's great, stay right there...I'm on my way."

Anthony entered the semi-empty mess hall to find Afiza sitting near one of the windows, staring at her PADD, with an empty glass beside her. He asked the bartender for a classic shot of espresso, and quickly caught up with her.

Forewarned of the approach of the Ensign by the shadow she looked up and smiled at Anthony, "Glad I wasn't the only one still thinking about this." She handed him the PADD, showing the results of a couple of simulations she had run earlier. "They're still doing the same thing, it isn't the sensors that are faulty as far as I can tell, it's that they can't tell the difference between the origin point and the destination point because the space is being pulled together into one spot. Have a look though, like I said, theory isn't my strong point and I'd rather have your opinion on it."

"I think I may have the solution for that," Anthony said while looking at the animations on the screen. He then turned to her. "The thing is, sensors are usually calibrated based on common speeds, like impulse and warp," the Ensign added while gesticulating, as was common for his culture. "Quantum Slipstream, on the other hand, is a bit tricky. It's a relatively new form of travel for Federation ships, so the calibration and other values of the sensors might fail in that situation. However..." he said while preparing a simulation inserting new data on her PADD, "I came up with this idea earlier tonight: what if we tell the sensors to refresh at a much higher rate? In fact, let's push them at the highest possible values..."
Anthony started the simulation, both of them eagerly watching the small device for a sign of success.
It worked.
A sense of satisfaction and relief covered Goodman, but he knew that simulations don't necessarily equate reality.

Afiza took the PADD back and looked at the data produced by the simulation, examining it closely while Anthony delighted in his solution.

"Awesome, but we still need to test this on real equipment after applying the new values." Anthony looked at Afiza with a more serious expression. "The Captain explicitly ordered us to rest..." he paused, making sure she knew what he was going to say next. "I understand completely if you want to stop here and continue this conversation tomorrow. I don't want you getting a reprimand or something".
He was sure she wouldn't care: she would keep going until the problem would disappear completely.

"Anthony," she sounded a little concerned, "this solution might work but it's going to cause an awful lot of problems. It's going to eat into computer function, possibly slowing down some other systems. It does help bring the sensors back to full working order post-jump but it's definitely not something we want to keep running."

"How about..." she paused for a moment and thought, "why not just turn off as much of the sensor array as possible immediately before jumping then fire up the sensors with the higher refresh rate to get them back online as quickly post-jump as possible?"

She tried it, tweaking the setup on the PADD and flashing it though a simulation. The returning data showed a similar result to the previous however computer function was not as severely compromised, meaning other departments weren't going to have a hairy fit at them. Satisfied there was a possible solution she smiled at Anthony and showed him the PADD, "I think we'd better run it past the captain and XO before we start fiddling around with anything. Plus I have no idea when we're going to use the QSD again, if we get approval to try it we can set it up to run automatically the next time it's used."

Afiza figured he'd be disappointed that they weren't going to just have a go there and then but orders were orders and with the changes they were planning on making it would probably be better get the go-ahead before starting.

"Your solution does sound better," Anthony said after listening carefully to her suggestion, "plus I had another idea to perfect it: I can add an algorithm that will dynamically scale the sensor range, and their power usage as well, based on the data they collected." He realized he had to better illustrate his project, so he took a short breath to prepare for the additional explanation.
"So, let's say that at time index 1 the sensors operate at maximum power, let's say "100", and find nothing unusual or potentially unusual," Goodman started with a passionate tone of voice, looking at Afiza, "then with this algorithm in place the sensors are instructed so that since they know nothing's there, there's no need to extend the range to that location for a while. That means that when we reach time index 5, the power now will reduce to, say, "90", and will keep lowering until the ship is clear from that particular area. However," Goodman added while lifting his right index, as to gain more attention, "because we know that in space anything can happen, especially in dangerous areas, the sensors will periodically rescan to power 100 just to make sure that nothing changed in that timeframe. This would apply only when using the QSD, of course. Do you think all of this might make sense engineering wise?"

Afiza grinned, "Let's try one thing at a time shall we? Let's see if the initial solution works first, then we can work out a way of making it more automatic." His enthusiasm was potentially infectious but they had to make sure the problem was fixed by their idea before they started making it more complicated.
"Yes, you're right", Goodman acknowledged.
She checked the time, there was still just enough to get a decent sleep as they had been ordered to do and they'd potentially solved an annoying issue, not bad for a night's work she figured.

"I'm going to call it a night," she said, standing up, "once we've run the solution past the Captain we can get it set up for the next time we have to use the QSD. From there, so long as it works, we can start making it more intuitive and effective." She put a hand on his shoulder as she walked past, "Thanks for your input, I couldn't have seen the solution without that scientific brain of yours making things so much easier for me to visualise. Good night."
He smiled at her, slightly surprised by her friendly gesture, and watched her leave.
"Good night to you too!"
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:54 am

Nicely done, guys! It's always exciting when new players take so well to the idea of joint logs :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:07 am

I agree with CJ. You two also seem to sync well and I suggest you keep at it :)

I look forward to receiving your suggestions in game !
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:48 am

Ensign's Log, Stardate 11609.22

The Academy, first year.

Goodman was returning to his room immersed in his thoughts, without caring for the outside world. He made that trip from the lecture hall to his quarters so many times already, his brain was on autopilot. What he had in his mind was the same old story, lived by billions of other people on the galaxy simultaneously: the new girl he met in class caught his eye very soon, and they even appeared to have some kind of chemistry together, as they sat beside regularly, grabbed lunch together, talked and laughed about all kinds of different topics. But as expected by him, she was already with another man. What's worst was that they'd been together for a couple of years. In this typical situation, Goodman would normally think about it for at least a couple of weeks, and then reluctantly decide that the best course of action would be to back down.

But this time, it was different.

He had been receiving mixed signals from her: for one thing she never talked about his boyfriend, and she was the one taking the initiative by inviting him to join her for lunch, talking to him via the communicator and going out of her way to say "hello". Is she just being nice? How long is this going to last? Am I going to ruin everything as usual?

Those were the main questions running on the young cadet's mind, and no amount of time was ever going to be enough to answer them, or even a single one, for that matter.
He was a scientist, and scientists think rationally.
But love, like the concept of a feeling in general, is irrational.
He had to do something -- talk to her, for example, but he knew there was a great risk of destroying the beautiful yet fragile relationship they were developing.

He smiled at the thought that, in a way, his predicament was like one of those hard "lateral puzzles" he used to try and, usually, fail, where the solution was often something completely out of the ordinary and illogical. And although a solution probably existed, this time what he had in his hand instead of his trusty pencil, was a pen with permanent ink. Whatever he decided to put on his sheet of paper that was his life, would have been permanent, with no possibility of changing his answer.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:52 am

that was great! as always these academy logs are so much fun to read :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Ensign's Log, Stardate 11610.06 (with Lt. Cmd. Danann)

With a PADD In his hand, Goodman entered the mess hall while looking at the various equations displayed on the screen. He was wearing his uniform, as usual, with the blue highlights of his division reflecting the color of his eyes. Approaching the bartender at the counter, he looked away from the screen for the first time since he entered the room to order his drink.
"Gin and tonic please, with lemon and ice".
He was about to lower his gaze again, when he noticed Danann on the right. She was wearing her uniform, the jacket open and informal, her curling red hair loose and wild now that she's was off duty.
"Oh, evening, Commander. What are you having?"
Danann turned at the sound of the familiar voice, her plan to go over and chat to the hot civilian Bolian chick who'd recently joined the ship, put on hold for now.
"Goodman, hey," she greeted as the barman slid her over a double shot of whiskey. She gave him a nod of thanks and took a sip, turning to lean her back against the bar. "Don't see you in here often."
He slightly turned his head as to indicate his awareness of what she said.

“Yeah, you’re right...but I guess once you join Starfleet there’s always plenty of excuses to work on the next assignment, the next project, orders...”
“However”, he added while putting down his PADD on the table and smiling, “if I knew you came here often I would have reshuffled my schedule sooner”. He didn’t notice immediately that his comments sounded “flirty”, as he would rarely be in such a mood, especially with a superior officer. He would blame it on the alcohol, but he hadn’t even started drinking. Perhaps by knowing her rather characteristically light-hearted personality he knew that she wouldn’t take offense from that.

She paused, with her glass held halfway between the bar and her mouth, her eyebrows raised in surprise. Throwing him an impressed look, she laughed. "Nice line, Goodman." She allowed her glass continue on its journey, and took a sip as she appraised the young Ensign. For a moment, she considered seeing how far she could get... since her shot with the Bolian had been interrupted, but then remembered her track record with cute, younger, Italian men and decided otherwise.
"You settling in OK?" she inquired, her tone deliberately neutral.

“Yes, thank you for asking”, he answered while starting his drink. “Since I joined the Hyperion I feel...different, a new man. It’s also helping me distract from some stuff I have in mind.” Both figuratively and literally, he added in his head while thinking of the still unresolved, strange telepathic trace that someone left him some time before. He paused for a second to savour his gin and tonic. “I’ve also met some great people aboard this vessel... like a certain Irish Commander.” Goodman said while staring at her and smiling for a second time.
"Ok, tiger, you're cute, but not that cute, yea? You're gonna need a few more pips and, I dunno... about ten more years before you can get away with over complimenting a superior officer." She winked at him.
Goodman put his hands forward with a smirk. “You’re right Commander, I apologize...but ten years seems like too much time, doesn’t it? Anyway”, he changed the subject slightly, stepping down off the throttle, “do you have any particular interest in sports, music, holodeck programs...? It would be nice to spend some off-duty time together, someday. That is, if you won’t find that inappropriate and you would appreciate my company, of course.”

Danann did her best to hide her amusement. She had to give the guy credit, she had been harshly correcting him on the bridge not twelve hours previously, and he'd already got the wind back in his sails.

Tony had shown no interest in her at the beginning... in fact, he'd actively disliked her, she mused, as she swirled her whiskey. Was this what she'd looked like when she'd started to pursue him? Cause, in fairness to Goodman... this was kind of adorable.

"You know what, Ensign? Sure," she chuckled. "How do you cope in zero-G?"

“Not so bad, actually,” Goodman responded, happy to see that the conversation was actually proving productive. “Just don’t ask me to do it on a full stomach or after some drinks... and what about opera?"
Danann's brow arched.
"Although," Goodman continued, "now that I think about it, you don’t seem the type to sit idly for three hours...” he asked, hoping to be contradicted.
"I'm not," she said, immediately disappointing him. "Fact is, my upbringing wasn't all that refined... So... if I can't eat it, drink it, ride it, or fly it, it's probably not gonna be in my wheelhouse." The ensign lowered his gaze, half-expecting a similar answer, mumbling “Oh well, never mind that.”
She finished her whiskey, slammed the glass on the bar and grinned. "I gotta see a man about a horse. I'll be in touch about that holodeck thing..." she patted him idly on the shoulder, chuckled "opera, hah!" and made her way out of the lounge.
He stood on his seat, raising the hand holding his drink to make his farewell.
“Ci vediamo, Commander!”
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:48 am

haha that was a great read! Well done Antonio and A!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

Re: SCI Ensign Anthony Goodman

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Ensign's Log, Stardate 11610.19

The situation was critical: there was no light on the ship anywhere, except from those handy portable flashlights that were scattered throughout the Bridge, all systems were inoperative, crewmembers were starting to feel the effects of triolic radiation and nobody could give an explanation on what was going on. And yet, Ensign Goodman managed to control himself and focus on his duties. He himself was surprised about this, especially after seeing the chaos around him, more experienced officers succumbing to the pressure. Perhaps the radiation still hadn't affected him, as he couldn't hear all those voices the other people were reporting. In any case, he was intent on outsmarting the Hyperion's computer. He felt that he was close to a solution...it was just a matter of wording, one correct request to save the day.

But something more than anything was in his mind: Niamh's wellbeing.

She clearly seemed extremely distressed, even though she was trying her best not to look so. The radiation must have had a terrible effect on her, and Goodman was constantly on the edge of leaving his post to give her some moral support, some comfort. But he had a job to do, and the ship's systems had to be restored. Nevertheless, he felt in his heart he had to do something for her. He enjoyed his time in the mess hall with her and was looking forward to improve their relationship. Who knew what would happen next?

Suddenly, Anthony had an idea. What if I ask for her help?
With her command codes he could have had access to the core systems, improving the chances his method would have some kind of effect and at the same time keeping Danann focused. He was going to kill two birds with one stones, or, as the Italian variant said, take two birds with one bean. Much less bloodshed involved.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 am

very good log Antonio!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:32 am