SCI Ensign Anthony Goodman

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Aoibhe Ni
Commander
Commander

Re: AUX Cadet Anthony Goodman

Post by Aoibhe Ni » Mon May 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Well, that is also beautiful, of course, but I was thinking more of...how easy it is nowadays to just ignore your problems and isolate yourself instead of doing something about them."
That is a fantastic line, Antonio. Bravo!

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
Character Name: Anthony Goodman

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Thu May 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Cadet's Log, Stardate 11605.25 (with Isabelle Rousseau)

Goodman was nervously pacing around Sickbay, waiting for further instructions by the medical staff. While the tests from his physical didn't show any particular issue, his behavior made the Vulcan nurse suspicious, as the cadet refused to respond to specific answers on his health status. He had never been a good liar, and he realized that sooner or later someone was going to find out about his experiences. Probably sooner, he thought.
Immersed in his thoughts, Goodman barely noticed that someone was calling for his attention. It was the Chief Medical Officer of the ship, Dr. Isabelle Rousseau.

"So, Mr. Goodman." Isabelle walked up to the cadet, looking over a PADD with a bare minimum of his medical records on the screen. "I've been speaking with Dr. Sobak, and she tells me that you've left out some information in your physical, which is supported by the fact that we don't seem to have very much information in your records. I plan on contacting your old doctor for more information, but in the meantime, can you help me fill in some details?"
Goodman stared at her for a moment, unsure on how this would turn out. He didn't want to relive those memories and likely further examinations, but part of him thought that this behavior would undoubtedly lead to trouble.
"Of course, doctor." he said, postponing his decision for the moment.
"All right," she said, pulling up a chair and having a look at his physical results thus far. "You're in good physical health, but I don't seem to have much in the way of history here. Let's start with some basics... any childhood illnesses, birth defects, major injuries or surgeries?"

His plan didn't work. She immediately asked a question he didn't want to answer.
"No, none of that", he replied after a moment, nervously. "Actually...yes, for the last two things", he then said, visibly shaken, his eyes staring at the wall.
He clearly didn’t want to talk about it, but it was a vital part of his medical history, and she needed to know. She gave him a reassuring look. "It’s ok, I won’t disclose it to anyone without your permission; but I will need as much as you can give me. Tell me about the injury first..."
The young cadet kept silent for a while, almost thinking about leaving. But then he remembered his recent experience on the Holodeck. Time is running out. Maybe this was the time to act.
"Coma.", said with hesitation. "I was in a coma last year. We were conducting an experiment and then...the explosion, and the fire." He stopped again, the words hardly coming out of his mouth.
"So, you received injuries from the explosion and fire that were severe enough to put you in a coma?" Isabelle asked, taking notes on the PADD. "And what parts of your body did that affect? Any brain injuries?"
"I don't know the precise extent of my injuries", Goodman said directing his head to the other side of the wall and placing his right hand under his chin, "but the doctors did say that my brain was affected." He finally stared at her, and continued: "My...friend...a Betazoid, left me some kind of telepathic trace. The doctors at the Academy aren't sure exactly what happened, but this thing is giving me nightmares, strange visions..."
Goodman paused again, then said quietly: "Dr. Rosseau...what happened that night is still under investigation. Yes, the investigators cleared me of any wrongdoing, but someone wants to reopen the case, saying that I led my friend to die. I don't want the Captain to know, at least not now."
She listened to what he had to say, eyebrows raised when he spoke of the telepathic aspect of his story. "First.." she said, considering how to proceed. "I won't say anything to the Captain about the investigation if you don't want me to. I will honour medical confidentiality on that."

"Now, this.. trace you spoke of. If it's affecting you in that way, it may be deeply embedded in your subconscious and could be difficult to remove. Another telepath can probably help you, but it would have to be someone with strong enough abilities, otherwise it could take too much out of them." She paused, thinking of what else Goodman had said. She could hear sadness in his voice as he spoke, and wondered how long the cadet had been carrying his grief without being able to talk about it. "Your friend, the one who left the trace.. is she the one who died?"
Anthony didn't want to hear that. He didn't want to be reminded of his regrets, his fear.
"She is not dead. At least, I don't know. Nobody really knows. They said they never found the body, that she just...disappeared." he said, clearly uncomfortable. "I need to find her, Doctor. She might be the key to all of this. Perhaps these...visions can lead me to her."
Isabelle nodded. "Then maybe the visions are there for a reason. I won't be able to help you find her, but I would like to know if your coma and subsequent surgery might have caused any lasting physical effects. I'll need a detailed scan of the affected parts of your brain. I'm sure you've been through plenty of testing after your coma and surgery, so I will leave it up to you whether you'd like to get a new one done here, or if I should request those records from Dr. Teris. In either case, having a recent scan would provide me a baseline to work from in case you have any problems."
"I would be lying if I said it would feel comfortable," Anthony replied after a moment, "but I also know of your reputation as a great doctor." He raised his head slightly, looking at her, feeling slightly encouraged by her words. "If you feel that a new scan is necessary, then go ahead. You might as well start now."
"All right." She stood up and activated the biobed console screen, punching in a few commands to set up the scans that she needed. "Lean back, this will only take a few minutes."
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Einar S
Commander
Commander

Post by Einar S » Thu May 26, 2016 5:07 pm

very good you two! Color me excited!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

James Greenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Post by James Greenman » Thu May 26, 2016 5:14 pm

That was a great log, both of you. I love the intrigue, mysteries are some of my favourite things!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:05 pm

<<I hope this counts as last week's log, I didn't have the time to write this earlier unfortunately>>

Cadet's Log, Stardate 11606.06

"Computer, what time is it?"
"The time is 19 hours, twelve minutes."

Goodman sat in a mess hall's chair with a PADD in his left hand and a fork in the other. It is a common habit for officers to catch up on work while eating, especially during ongoing situations, and the human cadet certainly wouldn't abandon this tradition now, when he had a problem to solve. Well, more than one, he thought. But now it wasn't the time for his personal affairs to interfere, he had an interesting puzzle waiting for him on his PADD display. Indeed, puzzles were actually one of the reasons Goodman chose to pursue the Science specialization career; that feeling of closure, the thrill of finding a solution, they were just irreplaceable to him. His meal, which consisted of spaghetti, had already gone cold, although he managed to eat most of it. His mind was focused on the garbled characters and numbers which the computer managed to translate into the Federation Standard alphabet, while in his head he tried to come up with any sort of word, or a meaningful series of numbers, by visually moving the characters on his screen and see if he could make sense of anything.
At one point he felt to be very close to the solution: the shapes on the screen started to take form, in an imaginary way, to the point of spelling something... Faith?! Damn it...

He couldn't help it. He couldn't stop thinking about her and the whole situation. This is going to be a long day, he thought. And he was back to square one.
Last edited by Antonio Buonomo on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

James Greenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by James Greenman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Great log, Antonio! And you have right up until the mission starts to get your log out, so worry not, it counts. :)

One thing though, if the puzzle he's working on there is the unknown signal that the MR Herald picked up, it isn't Cardassian.

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:09 pm

James Greenman wrote:One thing though, if the puzzle he's working on there is the unknown signal that the MR Herald picked up, it isn't Cardassian.
Oops... Thanks for reminding me. I'll fix it now :)
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

James Greenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by James Greenman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Antonio Buonomo wrote: Oops... Thanks for reminding me. I'll fix it now :)
Perfect! Great stuff. :)

Einar S
Commander
Commander

Post by Einar S » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:37 pm

well done Antonio! Great log
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Cadet's Log, Stardate 11606.13

Three months ago

It was a beautiful day in San Francisco.
The sun was setting, and from where Goodman was positioned, it looked as it was going to dive into the water, beyond the Golden Gate Bridge, in a spectacular show of colors that split the horizontal axis between warm and cold. When the sky was clear, as this was the case, that was a common view for the people of the city, but not so much for the young cadet: Starfleet Academy was a major undertaking that severely limited the time to appreciate the little things in life. He did have some free time, of course, but he usually spent it with his friends or on extracurricular activities. But this day, it was different: he wanted to stay alone for a while and reflect on his life, his career. Time always seemed to run faster when one is focused hard on studying or working, and Goodman was afraid of what would happen after his graduation.
What am I going to do then? What if I fail to graduate? What if I don't get assigned to a ship? Will I ever return here?
Those were only a few of the questions on his mind, sitting on a patch of grass with his legs crossed. At some point, he heard the faint sound of some footsteps behind him and he noticed a recognizable shadow on his right side.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Goodman turned around to face her friend and colleague Faith, standing over him in her cadet uniform and a smile on her face. He smiled back.
"Indeed. I should get here more often, but with all the things we need to do..."
"There's always some kind of excuse. We all have stuff to do, but sometimes it's good to just...do nothing and reflect. And this is my favorite place to do it."

He was surprised by her response. She didn't look like the type of woman who would do something like that, at least according to what he knew of her.

"Is that so? Then...I should really get here more often!"

They both started laughing.
Faith then crouched beside him, alternating rapidly between looking at the sky and the ground, her expression changed to a more serious one.

"Anthony, listen..."
Before she could add anything, however, her speech was interrupted by the rough sound of her commbadge.

"Cadet Gage, please report to Admiral Vorast's office immediately."

Faith sighed. "Duty calls...never mind, I'll see you later Anthony."
She left, and she would never continue this discussion again.

<Note: I intentionally used the exact same sentence that I used in a previous log for Faith's first lines>
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion