SCI Ensign Anthony Goodman

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Einar S
Commander
Commander

Re: AUX Cadet Anthony Goodman

Post by Einar S » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:19 pm

that was very good Anthony!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

James Greenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Post by James Greenman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Nice log, Anthony! Keep it up :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
Character Name: Anthony Goodman

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Cadet's Log, Stardate 11606.20
One day ago

Anthony stood in the middle of an anonymous street surrounded by a group of people who were shouting at him various unintelligible words. His uniform appeared worn out, with noticeable stripes of dirt on various spots of it, and half of his face was covered in blood. Everything around him appeared in a blur to him, creating a strange, dark slow motion effect. At some point, he slowly turned around, the crowd appearing as dark silhouettes, the buildings just semi-flat monochromatic shades of black and grey. Then, through the numbness of his limbs, he felt something in his right hand: he was holding a phaser, and it was set to kill. It was at that moment he figured out there was something he needed to do, something he was supposed to do. He slowly walked forward, until he saw a man crawling on the ground, desperately trying to get away from there. He couldn't quite figure out who he was, given the fog that started surrounding him, severely limiting his vision, but that man seemed familiar to Goodman. And when he finally approached him, he turned the struggling man around to see his face...only to realize that it was himself!

The young cadet's reaction wasn't one of surprise, as he somehow expected this. His doppelganger however was smiling, and started talking in a normal tone of voice, despite his apparent injuries.
"Well...here we are."
They both stood still for several seconds, as if they were looking for the next line in their phantom scripts.
"Do you know what you have to do?"
Goodman nodded, staring at his copy for a while before pointing his weapon at him. But before he could press the button to shoot, he pointed it at the sky, and a sound started to emerge from the foggy background.

"The time is 0700 hours."
Goodman opened his eyes, puzzled by the strange dream he just experienced, wondering if it was the effect of his incident or just another nightmare.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Einar S
Commander
Commander

Post by Einar S » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:33 pm

great log Antonio! Love the mystery :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:27 pm

<I apologize for skipping a couple of logs :(>

Cadet’s Log, Stardate 11606.27

Goodman was on the bridge of the Hyperion during so-called “crunch time”. From his station he could see several crewmen scrambling around and some staring at the viewscreen in disbelief for the effects of the mysterious bio-mechanical component affecting the other ship they were sent to investigate, the Herald. Strangely, however, the Italian cadet was not nervous; in fact, he showed a faint smile of excitement that he tried to suppress before anyone could notice it. It was this the sort of emotion he expected while at the Academy, the thrill that guided him on what he considered to be the true quest for humanity: contributing to society while constantly improving.
He was also surprised by his first actual conversation with Lieutenant Commander Danann. He didn't expect a senior officer with an important rank to have that kind of exuberant behavior...sometimes even at the point of being unprofessional. And yet, he liked it, and although he noticed something odd about this at first, possibly due to her medical issues she had while in sickbay, he was sure that he made a good first impression, and perhaps in the not-so-distant future they were going to become friends.

But now he definitely had more pressing matters at hand, as he thought gazing back at the screen, but still with that smile on his face: because in the end, he thought, it's not just the journey in itself that mattered, but also the people you experience it with. And he definitely had good feelings about this crew.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Note: Takes place during the refitting period, before the new mission arc.
Cadet's Log, Stardate 11607.20 (with Cadet Maalku Afiza)

With the Hyperion being refitted and repaired after the events of the last mission, Goodman felt that it was the perfect opportunity to socialize with the rest of the crew; after all, since he took service aboard the starship he didn't really have much time for that. He entered the mess hall in a relaxed, but at the same time excited mood, with his usual uniform on. When he noticed the environment around him, he smiled, thinking that it had the right amount of people inside: not too crowded, yet there was a somewhat "warm" atmosphere, possibly due to the general positive mood of the crew enjoying some long overdue R&R.
Not long after those thoughts, he noticed a fellow cadet he probably missed before, with the unmistakable Bajoran traits covering her nose.

Afiza had finally finished her latest shift, these repairs were long and tiring. She was grateful for the extra help from the repair crews at Starbase 379, still they were working around the clock to get everything completed in a timely manner which left very little time for anything else. That was until now. Now she had not just a sleep break but a whole shifts-worth of time free after it. That's why she was in the mess hall, getting a good meal and a welcome rest.

The happy buzz in the room was a good accompaniment to the hasperat she was eating, sure it was a bit stereotypical but it was a comfort food and after the last mission she needed a bit of comfort food. The replicator did a decent job at re-creating the dish, her mouth was suitably burning, but it wasn't as good as home-made. She resolved to make some herself when she had a bit more time. The pudding planned that was rather less stereotypically Bajoran, a large chocolate sundae - a love of which was passed along from one of her classmates at the Academy.

Although there were many people milling around she did catch the eye of another cadet in the room and she smiled warmly at him.

Goodman at first wasn't sure if she was smiling at him because they knew each other or just as a natural form of courtesy -- his mind was terrible at remembering people he barely met --, but after glancing at her meal, he thought that it would be a good opportunity to brush up his knowledge on other cultures; that was the reason of being there, after all, and more in general, it was also one of the most important points of joining Starfleet.
She looked rather attractive as well, something which intimidated him slightly as he was usually shy with women, especially after what happened with Faith, but that didn't stop him to at least say hello to the young cadet.

"Is that hasperat?" Goodman said walking towards her table and smiling back at her.

Afiza nodded and chuckled, "A bit obvious isn't it? I just wanted a little slice of home and this stuff isn't too bad for being replicated. Ever tried it before?"

"Actually no, I haven't", replied Goodman while sitting in front of her. "But as you may know, my culture has a sort of obsession for good food, so I usually stick to my favorites".

Remembering her mention of home, the cadet added: "Are you feeling homesick?"

"Oh, no... not particularly," Afiza shook her head, "I'm not really one for homesickness but after recent events it's just nice to have something comforting. Some of us are pretty food obsessed too, either that or religion-obsessed which is a lot less appetising, nothing like a good hasperat to make things feel better - grab a fork if you want to try it."

Afiza pushed a spare fork across the table towards him, "Like I said, it's pretty good for replicated but my grandmother's recipe is definitely the best on Bajor, I really must make it some time."

Goodman silently picked up the fork and hesitated slightly before cutting a small bite of the dish to try. He didn't usually eat from someone else's plate, but today he felt it was a good occasion to relax his strict habits.

Seconds after putting the utensil in his mouth, he smirked and blushed. "Wow, this is hot...I like it!". He did read about the spicy taste of hasperat, and Goodman usually enjoyed such foods.

"You know..." he continued while eating, "if you like this I can suggest you quite a lot of Earth recipes to try".

"I'm impressed, not many people who try it like it quite this spicy," Afiza grinned, "but those recipes sound interesting. I know some Earth foods, chocolate for example."

Suddenly she realised that she was sharing food with someone and hadn't even bothered to introduce herself, "I'm sorry, I'm Maalku Afiza, Engineering Cadet. I should have said earlier. I only came aboard before our last mission, I forget I've not been here for ages it already feels like I know everyone in some way. The ship has a great atmosphere about it."

Goodman felt the same way, and his facial expression changed to reflect that.
"Oh no, that was my fault, I apologize. Anyway, I'm Anthony Goodman, Science division, nice to meet you. It's rare to find a Bajoran in Starfleet, I would love to hear your story someday. That is, if you want to share it, of course."

"Nice to meet you too," Afiza frowned slightly at the mention of her story. It wasn't the first time it had been commented on, she had been asked several times in the Academy why she had chosen this path. She supposed anyone from the races who were a minority in the service would all get this question on a frequent basis, it was just the way things were. Bajor was a member now, for right or wrong the decision had been made and the formalisation complete. In her opinion, her opinion didn't matter, it was done and they should make the best of it.

"There isn't much to tell," she shrugged dismissively, "Starfleet has some of the best toys in the quadrant and I like tinkering with big, powerful toys." It was the easy answer, there was much more going on at home than she cared to admit but she tried to avoid even admitting the thought of it let alone speaking about it.

Goodman felt that he made a mistake. He shouldn't have asked this, he knew Bajorans were usually hesitant of talking about personal matters, why would she be any different? She was clearly upset by the question, he could tell.
"I'm so sorry..." he said after a couple of seconds of awkward silence. "I didn't mean to intrude. It's all my fault".
Embarrassed and feeling guilty, he quickly stood up, clearly intent on moving away before things got even worse.

"No.. no, I'm sorry, I should be used to the question by now, it's just that being a minority race I get it all the time, I didn't mean to take it out on you," Afiza chastised herself mentally for getting defensive over it. She realised he was going to make a quick escape, "I hope we get to work together at some point. You can tell me about those recipes I might like. It was good to meet you."

He stopped for a second with his hands on the chair, thinking that perhaps the situation wasn't as uncomfortable as he imagined. He smiled, softly. "I would love to do that. Well...I'll let you finish your hasperat in peace. I'll see you around."
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Einar S
Commander
Commander

Re: AUX Ensign Anthony Goodman

Post by Einar S » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:17 pm

that was a great log you two! I look forward to seeing their friendship evolve :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Antonio Buonomo
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post by Antonio Buonomo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Ensign's Log, Stardate 11608.01

Goodman was about to finish his usual cryptic crossword puzzle in his quarters, lying comfortably on his bed, his eyes staring both at the ceiling and the PADD in his hand. He was still dressed in his Starfleet uniform so that he could be ready should an emergency arise. The Hyperion was on a new mission, after all, and since he got promoted to Ensign, he knew his responsibilities were only going to become more intense. Plus, he absolutely enjoyed that new, shiny pip on his collar, something which he hoped would be just the first of his career.
Everything seemed to run very smoothly for him -- the transfer to a state-of-the-art ship, the promotion, new friends, bright new colleagues...

Maybe it was all too perfect, to the point that it felt artificial, as if he was just part of a game, a character acting by a writer's command, watching every single step. This wasn't the first time that Goodman had this feeling, and since he joined the Academy it became something of a recurring thought. He always believed in free will, but he also had these kind of thoughts when things seemed to go too well, as if he didn't actually deserve all of this. He couldn't bear the possibility of this being true. Psychologically, his independence was very important to him. He also knew, however, that proving this theory would be either impossible or extremely unlikely, at least in the current conditions.
All of this inspired him to solve the last word of his puzzle, which coincidentally was MARIONETTE. Goodman stared at the PADD for a few seconds, going through his mental speech once again, and then decided that it was time to return to his duties, leaving all the negative thinking at the door, at least for the moment.
Last edited by Antonio Buonomo on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

C. J. Short
Commander
Commander

Post by C. J. Short » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Maybe it was all too perfect, to the point that it felt artificial, as if he was just part of a game,

Cheeky :P
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Einar S
Commander
Commander

Post by Einar S » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:11 pm

impostor syndrom. Really good log and I get what he's feeling. Good log! :) keep it up
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion