SCI Ensign Anthony Goodman

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Anthony Goodman

Re: SCI Ensign Anthony Goodman

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Ensign’s Log, Stardate 11610.30

Something was finally happening.

The ship started moving thanks to the brilliance of Maalku, Danaan and the rest of the bridge crew. Of course, Goodman was part of that unit, but he felt his contribution was disappointing. In fact, he risked almost destroying everyone's work with his idea of resetting the power allocation by interacting with the ship’s computer. He did manage to get an approximation of the location of the phenomenon's source which could result in the unravelling of the mystery, but it wasn’t enough for him. He was a man of science, and knowledge was his diet. He couldn’t stand being unable to give any kind of explanation for something in the universe.

He was also once again concerned with the behaviour of the Irish Commander sitting at the navigation station.
She seemed annoyed by the playful message he sent to her console, and the whole situation seemed odd: there were moments in which she played his game and happily accepted Goodman’s flirty comments, while other times, even in the distance of seconds, she was instead cold and detached, possibly scared, a feeling that seemed extremely unnatural for someone like her.
There was something going on with her that went beyond the radiation or the stressful situation the entire crew was in, and he had a feeling that it was dark and disturbing. He couldn't quite point the finger at a cause yet – after all he’d only known her for a couple of months – but he would surely confront her about it after the crisis was over.
He thought that it couldn’t possibly be related to what he might have said or done, as he never crossed the lines of decency or respect. He had always been a gentleman with any woman.

He felt a strange sense of intrigue when he realized that he was more interested in finding the solution to this mystery rather than studying the data gathered from the nebula.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:47 am

Nice writing, Antonio!
Can't wait to see what Goodman thinks up next.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:12 am

yes very nice writing :)

but perhaps sending flirty messages can be done when the crisis is over yeah? ;)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Einar S wrote:yes very nice writing :)

but perhaps sending flirty messages can be done when the crisis is over yeah? ;)

Haha, well...he is young and he's Italian, it's only natural to him :P
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Ensign’s Log, Stardate 11611.01 (with Lt. Cmd. Danann)

After the eventful crisis was over, Anthony thought that the relaxed journey back to Starfleet would give him the right opportunity to finally spend some more time with Niamh. What happened in the previous hours upset the Italian man, but not for the same reason as the other members of the crew; he didn't feel the effects of the radiation, but the conn officer most certainly did. He heard her faintly saying a familiar name.

Antonia?

He couldn't remember well, and in fact it was even surprising that he managed to hear that at all amidst all the confusion on the Bridge. His musical training paid off. Still, it didn’t take a counselor to understand that the name carried a lot of pain to her.

Goodman was standing in front of her quarters’ door, with a bunch of flowers taken fresh from the replicator. White roses. He looked around hoping that no one was around, and he was on the verge of pressing the door chime when he had last minute doubts, his finger frozen an inch from the button. He wasn’t sure how she would react, whether she would respond to his questions and if the whole thing would be considered appropriate. After all, he was an Ensign, and presenting himself at her doorstep with flowers on his hand could probably create a series of awkward questions.
But he cared about her. If there was something more he couldn't tell yet, though he was anxious to find out.
He heard the sound of the turbolift on the other side of the deck slowly approaching its destination, and he decided that it was too late to back out.

He pressed the button after a long, deep breath.

"One second!" he heard her call out from inside the room. Moments later, the door swung open to the sound of her command and Anthony saw the source of the delay. She came to the door, her face shining and red-cheeked, her long, red, curling hair a mass of chaotic flames. She mopped her brow with a small towel and tossed it over her shoulder as her breathing slowed. The towel landed behind her, on the grey carpet next to an exercise pad.
She looked the young Ensign up and down, her eyes alighting momentarily on the flowers with interest.
"Lt Desoto is next door, Goodman," she informed him with a knowing wink before leaning on her own doorframe with a tired thump.

He was expecting some kind of witty remark from her, yet he was still surprised, and stood still for a few moments.
“Erm...actually I came to see you...but I could always come back another time if you’re busy”, Anthony said, slightly embarrassed.
Niamh's eyebrows raised, and she opened her mouth to speak, but before she could, she heard the Turbolift doors halfway down her corridor activate. She sized the young Italian up as he stood before her, flowers in hand. This was probably the most adorable thing that had happened to her in many years, but, the last thing she needed was to be the centre of more gossip, she thought. So, grabbing the front of his tunic, she pulled him into her quarters and closed the doors. Goodman almost tripped over due to the force of Niamh’s hands.

Her main living room was warm, cozy and dimly lit. Her furniture was soft and covered in deep red and purple cushions. In the corner, there was a prominent display case filled with half-bottles of exotic liqueurs and spirits. A glass, recently used sat next to a bottle of whiskey.

Niamh turned from the closing doors and threw him a half smile. "What's up?"

“Actually, that was what I wanted to ask you,” Goodman started. “You seemed to be pretty distressed by the visions you had during our trip to the nebula. And the Doctor told me that the hallucinations were mostly related to previous events and memories. And I remember clearly you pronounced a name, Antonia, I think”. He could see already in her expression that the name was correct. “Now, since our ship doesn’t really have a counsellor yet...” He paused for a few seconds, as to switch to a lower tempo, thinking of making her more comfortable. “Do you want to talk about it?”
Niamh was struck by how odd this encounter was. A man who was a virtual stranger was not, as she had suspected, here to ask her out - a reasonable assumption, considering, yknow, the flowers, and his message earlier - but was seemingly here to offer her a shoulder to cry on instead. She bit her lip and pulled her curling hair out of her eyes, fighting the urge to run her fingernails across her jugular.
"Antonia was... my daughter," she told him plainly, her innate honesty displayed even as her heart broke a little more. "Named... after her father who has since disappeared." She remained where she stood, a few feet away from him. "Is that what you were wondering?" She held his gaze with a dignity she didn't often display.

Anthony was speechless.
For one thing her honesty was astonishing. He wasn’t really expecting her to open up so quickly, moreover with an Ensign. That could only reinforce what he always thought, however: if you never try, you will always fail.
And then the choice of her words...”was”, implying the worst. How could anyone keep going after such a loss?
He felt like any response would be wrong and worthless. But he still had to say something.
“I...don’t know what to say. I’m so sorry”. He went for the obvious. She looked like she'd heard that a lot.

Goodman moved closer and touched her hand. She quickly folded her arms, cleared her throat, and glanced past him at her drinks cabinet.

Goodman pressed on regardless. “I want you to know that you can always count on me if you want to vent, talk about it some more, or just talk in general.” While talking, he kept wondering whether his name would make her uncomfortable. “And hey,” he added trying to lighten up the mood, “I still need to take you to the opera, someday”.
"Yea, like I said, unless I can eat it, drink it, or ride it..." she moved back to the door and leaned with a heroic amount of nonchalance against the bulkhead. "I've been through worse with less, Goodman, I'll be fine. But, yea..." she looked at the flowers still in his hand, "thanks for checking on me, yea? It was sweet of you."

“Worse?” He asked her, sceptical. “That sounds hard to believe, if you don’t mind me saying that”.
"Not all of us were born inside Federation borders, Goodman," she replied simply, her hand reaching up to scratch at the side of her neck.

He handed her the flowers, feeling disappointed by her sudden moment of introversion. He didn’t believe one word of her feeling “okay”, and he would have continued, hadn’t Niamh not-so-subtly signalled that the conversation was over.
He walked to the door and turned around staring at her. “Take care, Niamh.”

"Good night," she threw him a half smile, "...see you on the bridge," she responded as she turned away from him and thumped the door control. As she did, her hair moved, and he caught sight of the series of twirling, interconnected clockwise and anti clockwise, black spirals that adorned the length of her bare back. The two lowermost seemed rather freshly tattooed.
The door opened quietly, and Anthony remained still for a few seconds before stepping out of the room, as it locked again.
With the door closed, he leaned on it holding his right hand on the lower part of the face, thinking hard on what to do next, and whether all of this was a bad idea. He wanted her to be happy, and he would love to stay by her side while facing this situation. As a friend or a lover? Only time and their hearts would tell, but the latter seemed to be a compromised option, at least for the moment. It wasn’t Goodman’s fault, however. He was proud of his Italian origins, of his name, his family. Danann had to understand that.

He was so focused on his thoughts that he didn’t even notice that a crewman was crossing the corridor.

Inside the room, Niamh's expression sifted, her gentle smile cracking and disappearing. She let her knees bend and she slid down the length of the bulkhead, her fingers raking though her hair as she landed gently on the carpet. She bowed her head, heavy as it was with the weight of her memories.
She'd be doing so well, dammit! She'd been getting her spark back!

But now, experiencing the aftershock of their last mission, she felt it all as if it was new again. Only, this time, instead of total silence from both of the people she'd lost, she had the voice of the daughter she'd never had the opportunity to hold, rattling around in her tired mind.
She looked at the flowers on the floor beside her, wondering what had prompted Goodman's visit. Oddly, she realised, having him show her so much compassion, made Tony's complete silence all the more unbearable.
Last edited by Antonio Buonomo on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 pm

a cracking log you two! nicely done :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:51 am

nicely done you guys :-) Just so you know though Antonio, Izzy would have only told you that Danann's medical file is confidential and she can't divulge any information without Danann's permission. For future reference.
CMO - LtJG Velina Tailor - USS Atlantis
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989 (Decommissioned Vessel)
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 (Decommissioned Vessel)

Lieutenant JG

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:26 am

Babette C wrote:nicely done you guys :-) Just so you know though Antonio, Izzy would have only told you that Danann's medical file is confidential and she can't divulge any information without Danann's permission. For future reference.

I wouldn't have asked sensitive information. In the log, I wrote that Goodman heard from the doctor that the hallucinations involved, most of the time, previous memories, nothing more detailed than that ;)
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 am

gotcha :-)
CMO - LtJG Velina Tailor - USS Atlantis
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989 (Decommissioned Vessel)
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 (Decommissioned Vessel)

Lieutenant JG

Postby Antonio Buonomo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:00 am

Ensign’s Log, Stardate 11611.07

The chilling sound of the Hyperion’s drive became like a constant low frequency sine wave in Goodman’s head.

He was on the Bridge in the Science station, staring blankly at the monitor, daydreaming. He had been doing that with an alarming rate in the last days after his emotional encounter with Danann, and couldn’t think of anything else.
Suddenly, he heard something different that woke the conscious part of his brain. The faint sound from one of the tiny speakers ahead of him signalled the end of his shift. He slowly got inside the turbolift, his attention still focused on what to do with her.

“My quarters,” the Italian ordered the computer. Sometimes he would be more formal and declare the exact deck number, but the system was intelligent enough to recognize the command regardless.
The high-tech elevator stopped in between to host a crewman wearing the gold uniform. He didn't recognize her, although he could feel the same for possibly half the members of the crew aboard the ship. They briefly greeted each other while she announced her destination to the turbolift.
She kept staring at him for the rest of the descent, and while he noticed that, he tried his best not to let her know, trying instead to wonder why. It wasn’t an “attraction check”, but rather a look of curiosity and indecision. When the doors opened for her stop, she stepped out smiling and said: “See you, Goodman!”

Anthony’s polite smile quickly turned into apprehension. How the hell does she know my name, he thought. He was terrible at remembering people, but her face was not familiar in the slightest. Given the fact that she was quite good looking, he would have remembered her.
Before he had the time to respond to his own query, the turbolift reached his deck. An Ensign from the Engineering division was waiting at the door. He looked surprised and excited when he saw Goodman, even though the two never met.
“Way to go, Ensign!” he said while winking at him.

Once again, Anthony was confused at what was going on, how these people even knew who he was. Maybe they looked at the list of Bridge officers, he thought. But it still wouldn’t explain their reactions.
“Wait, what do you mean?” he tried to reply, but the engineer disappeared quickly behind the turbolift doors.
Goodman had another mystery on his hands, and he loved those, but this felt much more personal and irritating.
He started pacing towards his quarters as quickly as possible without running to avoid any further contact, but he couldn’t prevent to be seen by another three crewmembers who were in the corridor. They all looked at him in the same curious and intense way as the previous two, and there was something vaguely familiar about one of them: he could swear he’d seen him somewhere else recently, but couldn’t remember where and when.
After going past them, Anthony finally reached his quarters and immediately went for his bed. He laid down on it, and his mind began to wander again.
Ensign Anthony Goodman
USS Hyperion

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion