Hyperion Arc #12 - A Brave New World

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Hyperion Arc #12 - A Brave New World

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:00 pm

The went through the pre-flight checklist.

"Booster," called Flight Director N'k.

"Check," came the reply.

"Retro."

"Check."

"Fido."

"Check."

They went through the list, ending with CAPCOM. Green across the board.

"Mission control, we are go for launch," he announced.

In the capsule, Commander Mo'n eyes the systems indicator lights.

"Green on my end," she called in.

"Copy that; ignition in 10."

Mo'n tried not to hold her breath as the countdown went, clutching tightly to the armrest of her chair. Directly behind her sat Commander Eno.

"Deep breath," he said in his best life-coach voice.

"Fuck you," Mo'n chuckled. The humor was well-appreciated.

"3... 2... 1..."

The rocket, which had been shuddering considerably, suddenly became much more still as the main engined fired, shooting the craft rapidly off the ground thanks to it's light-weight construction. The low-friction coating on the nose cone was going its job as well.

Mo'n kept her eyes on the lights, one of which began to blink.

"We've got a warning on one of the secondary boosters," she announced.

"Copy," called Flight Control. N'k looked to Retro.

"We can afford it," answered the Retrofire Officer.

"Retro says you're green," N'k relayed.

"Copy that," replied Mo'n, taking as deep a breath as she good, considering the g-forces. She let her eyes cheat to the window, watching the pastel clouds rapidly give way to the darkening sky.

"Launch plus twenty," called Eno, and Mo'n reached for the stage-one separation switch.

"3... 2... cut it."

She flipped the switch and felt the capsule shudder as the lover half of the delivery vehicle fell away. There was a slight kick as the second stage fired. The turquoise sky continued to give way, and the stars became clearer by the second.

"Twenty seconds to low-D'rell orbit," Eno announced.

"Looking good," called Flight Control. Mo'n counted the seconds, the sky now fully black and speckled with countless stars and distant galaxies. It wasn't her first time, but it took her breath away as if it were. If this worked, those stars were about to seem a lot closer.

---

Mo'n and Eno went through the pre-warp checklist, their orbit now firmly established.

"Kynar'et to MC, we are initiating the warp core," called Eno.

"Copy that," came the response.

"Deploying field coils," called Mo'n. Three arms neatly unfolded themselves on the outside of the capsule, a smooth cylinder at the end of each.

"Got your destination calculated?" called Mission Control.

"Roger that, Nendra is dialed in," answered Eno, referring to D'rell's third and farthest moon.

"Flight Control has you green; you are go to initiate the warp field."

Mo'n craned her long neck to look back at Eno, wearing a nervous smile.

"Ready?" she asked. Eno gave her a smirk.

"Let's light this stick, Commander."

Mo'n took a deep breath, looking to the large blue switch in the center of the control panel.

"Initiating warp in three, two..."

She punched the switch, and the capsule was filled with a soft whine as the field coils spooled up. The craft aligned itself with its destination, and the coils fired.

The universe seemed to stretch around them, the field of stars and galaxies stretching around them. Mo'n held her breath as she watched her life's work unfold before her eyes, space flying past at an incredible speed, or at least appearing to. They weren't breaking the light barrier, she reminded herself. They were simply going around it.

Fifteen seconds of travel felt like hours, but the universe rapidly righted itself as the warp field collapsed and the capsule engines fired. The capsule entered Nendra's orbit, and she looked in utter amazement at the surface of the one-distant astral body. There had been manned missions to the first two satellites, but budget cuts and politics had prevented D'rellians from seeing Nendra in person. The probe images hadn't done her justice.

Tears began to spill from her eyes, pooling against her cheeks. She brought up her gloved hand and wiped the liquid away with an attached sponge before looking back to Eno, giving a sniff.

"We did it."
Last edited by C. J. Short on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Mission Orders SD 11607.25

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:13 pm

TO: CO Captain Jonathan Rome, USS Hyperion NCC-77989
CC: Senior Staff, USS Hyperion NCC-77989

Captain Rome,

At approximately 0230 hours this morning, Starbase 23 detecting a warp signature of unknown design originating from the D'rell system near the Romulan Neutral Zone. D'rell is home to what had been a pre-warp humanoid civilization that the Federation has been observing from afar for some time. This means First Contact protocol is in order, and I cannot think of a better ship to send to welcome out new neighbors into the galaxy than the Hyperion and her exemplary crew.

You should know, Jonathan, that D'rell is politically unstable according to our last reports, so approach them with caution. Try to stay hidden, and try to limit your initial contact to those at the highest levels of D'rell government. Contact with an alien civilization could either unite or divide, as you know, but the reason I am selecting the Hyperion for this assignment is my faith in your ability to read the situation well.

Finally, you should know that the Romulans are likely aware of this warp signature as well. The nearest Romulan system, Unroth, is under Imperial control, and I don't expect them to respect the exact boundary of the Neutral Zone.

Finish your repairs and get underway immediately, Captain. I'm sure we'd both prefer that the D'rellians meet the Federation first.

Godspeed, and good luck.

Admiral Vera Hill
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Mission Briefing 11607.25

Postby Einar S » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:13 pm

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
HYPERION SENIOR STAFF PRIORITY
COMMUNIQUE TO: All Senior Staff, USS Hyperion NCC-77989
CC: Commander Rojer Lyon, First Officer, USS Hyperion NCC-77989
FROM: Captain Jonathan Rome, Commanding Officer, Hyperion NCC-77989

STARDATE: 11607.25

ALL: Starfleet has registered a warp signature in the D’rell system, bordering the Romulan neutral zone. The fourth planet’s population has until now been marked as pre-warp and it is up to us to make first contact. Due to the proximity to Imperial space, we might face competition. It is imperative that the Imperial fleet does not reach the system before we do. These people would benefit from learning from the Federation rather than become servants of the Empire.

According to our observations, D’rell is a politically unstable planet, much like Earth was at the time of first contact for humans like myself. We must approach with caution and First contact protocols must be adhered to. That means no subspace or other forms of communications to the planet except from me or Commander Lyon. We will speak to leaders of high government only after we have established which government, or governments, to approach. Until then we stay hidden and observe and initiate contact only when I deem it appropriate.

This is a great honour for this Captain and his crew. First contact missions are reserved only for the finest crews, and you certainly are that.

Keep up the good work.

XO: Roj, as soon as Engineering gives the go-ahead, contact the station and request departure.

OPS: Mr. Stark, prepare mission reports on the D’rell people and hand out to senior crew. Prepare our departure.

NAV: Commander Danann, you have been reinstated as Navigation officer. Take your station and get my ship ready.

TAC: Mr. Douglas, since Commander Feyna has requested a Leave of Absence you will assume her duties as acting Chief Tactical Officer. I don’t expect us to run into any fights, but due to our proximity to Imperial space please run some drills and have the ship ready for battle.

CMO: Doctor, if you have time I would like to receive updates on the crew of the Herald.

SCI: Ensign, please attune our long range sensors and mask our signatures. I want us to observe from distance undetected.

ENG: Cadet Afiza, please work with Naviation and prepare the ship for warp. Familiarize yourself with the Quantum Slipstream Device.

AUX: Cadet Goodman, please report to my ready room.

Captain Jonathan Rome.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Mission Briefing 11608.01

Postby Einar S » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:55 am

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

STARDATE: 11608.01

XO: Commander, please oversee first contact procedures for the ship.

OPS: Mr. Stark, I am still waiting on those reports.

NAV: Commander Danann, you have been reinstated as Navigation officer. Take your station and get my ship ready.

TAC: Mr. Douglas, please have Science assist you with keeping an eye out for any Romulan activity.

CMO: Doctor, please compile medical and cultural reports on the D’rell.

SCI: Ensign, now is the time. Long range scans. Using the parameters Starfleet gave us. We don’t want to trigger any alarms over there.

ENG: Cadet Afiza, I want a report on the D’rell warp flight. The ship, its crew, the reactor. Who knows, we might even learn something here.

AUX: Ensign, assist with Science and Tactical duties.

Captain Jonathan Rome.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Post-mission Debrief 11608.01

Postby Einar S » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Lapse is 12 hours. In that time, a more permanent cease-fire is in place. According to planetary reports, the explosion wasn't authorized by one faction, and was the action of a rogue D'laran commander. The planet seems stunned. D'laran troops will begin to withdraw.

The Mo'a appear to have been instrumental in getting the ceasefire negotiated.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Mission Briefing 11608.08

Postby Einar S » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:14 pm

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

STARDATE: 11608.08

XO: Commander, hail the Romulan vessel. Warn them that they have entered Federation space and to turn back immediately.

OPS: Mr. Stark, I need updates on the situation below.

NAV: Commander keep the ship hidden.

TAC: Mr. Douglas, show the Romulans our teeth. Run a level 5 diagnostic on our torpedo launchers. That should get their attention.

CMO: Doctor, I await your report.

SCI: Ensign, tell me what scanning equipment the D’rell have. Can they detect weapons fire?

ENG: Cadet Afiza, I I await your report.

Captain Jonathan Rome.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Mission Briefing 11608.15

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:50 pm

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
CC: Captain Jonathan Rome, Commanding Officer, Hyperion NCC-77989
FROM: Commander Rojer Lyon, First Officer, USS Hyperion NCC-77989

STARDATE: 11608.15

OPS: Mr. Stark, continue updating me on the situation below.

NAV: Commander, keep the position you've been maintaining to prevent the inhabitants from seeing the ship.

TAC: Mr. Douglas, be ready, these Romulans are sneaky and I expect you to be sneakier.

CMO: What could we do to assist the D'rellians medically if needs be? See what you can determine, short of nabbing one for medical confirmation.

SCI: Keep an eye out for other gate-crashers that might want to join the party at some point. And confirm for me the borders of our respective territories and let me know who's not where they should be.

ENG: Cadet, keep all systems at the ready.

Cmdr. Lyon
XO - Cmdr. Rojer Lyon - USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Mission Briefing 11608.22

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:15 am

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
CC: Captain Jonathan Rome, Commanding Officer, Hyperion NCC-77989
FROM: Commander Rojer Lyon, First Officer, USS Hyperion NCC-77989

STARDATE: 11608.22

OPS/NAV/TAC/CMO: Be ready for our away team once I have spoken to the Director of the space program.

NAV: Commander, you will be my second in command while we are on the surface, I will rely on you to keep me well advised.

TAC: Keep your primary team of mixed security, but have a secondary team comprised of a single species in case the locals are skittish.

OPS: Have your second keep monitoring the situation on the surface.

CMO: Once I have spoken to the Director, we should have a location for the medication. Have your staff be ready to assist with distribution if the Director asks for assistance with that.

SCI: Continue monitoring the approaching Romulan vessel and advise me when they are 30 minutes out.

ENG: Cadet, keep Engineering running as you have at your usual high standard. We may have need of all the power the systems can generate, so have it ready.

AUX: Ensign, monitor the security and tactical situation while we are on the surface.

Cmdr. Lyon
XO - Cmdr. Rojer Lyon - USS Hyperion

Commander

Mission Briefing 11609.05

Postby Einar S » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:39 pm

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

STARDATE: 11609.05
XO: Commander, please wait for me to join the away team. We have a slight change of plans, I will catch you up to date.
SCI: Ensign, you have the Bridge. Commander Strax is on standby if needed. Keep my ship in one piece please.
AUX: Keep your eyes on the Romulans. I want to know if they send a shuttle down or transport to the planet.
Away team: Please show outmost respect and care. Take your leads from me and Commander Lyon. Until we establish a proper dialogue with these people I expect professional showing.
Captain Jonathan Rome.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Mission Briefing 11609.19

Postby Einar S » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:31 pm

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

STARDATE: 11609.19

XO: Commander, please return to the ship and inform Starfleet command of our situation. Do not mention the kemocite, just that we have company. Have this mapping issue resolved. Make scans of the planet, I want to know the details of their kemocite deposits and other things we might have missed. Take everyone with you except Mr. Douglas, he’ll be staying with me.

Keep me appraised of the relief efforts and Doctor Rousseau’s progress. Give her all the support she needs. I will be busy in these talks, so the ship is yours.

TAC: Mr. Douglas, you are with me. There will be no weapons at the talks, but I trust in your hand-to-hand if the need arises.

OPS: Mr. Stark, keep a constant lock on us. I want immediate transport IF I call for it.

Captain Jonathan Rome.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Next

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion