Ensign shanx wolf

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Cadet

Ensign shanx wolf

Postby Robert St john » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Ensigns log

this is my first week on the Hyperion and there's not much really to say but I'd like to share Prometheus class ship the crew is great currently we are leaving a starbase heading to wolf 359 if I remember corectly but other then that I'm learning a lot in my new medical position
<end log>

Cadet

Ensign shanx wolf joint log with CMO

Postby Robert St john » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:50 am

Star date 11611.07

Isabelle was in her office, finalising her latest medical reports and going over the patient roster for the day. It was shaping up to be a busy day, with several routine physicals scheduled, a surgery, and the usual appointments and random hubbub. In other words, a normal day in sickbay. She finished up her paperwork and stood and stretched, going out into main sickbay for her meeting with Dr. Wolf, one of her newest staff members.

Ensign wolf was in sick bay admiring the fact that he was on an actual starship. He checked into sick bay and waited for his CMO. While he waited for his CMO he spent his time brushing up on some medical techniques.

"Nice work." She watched as he closed his patient's wound with a dermal regenerator. The patient, a young tactical cadet, had managed to get a deep laceration in his leg during weapons training that morning. "I will be observing you as you make the rounds today. Do you have any questions for me?"

He shook his head. "No questions as of right now. I will continue my rounds, and if I have a question I will ask."

"All right. So, Bed three has a broken ulna, preliminary exam showed a clean break, but the arm was twisted when she fell so the bone is out of alignment. She's been given pain meds and will need the bone realigned and set. Bed Four has a chronic case of PTSD from the Tzenkethi war, this latest episode has been triggered by a hallucination of a tzenkethi inside the nebula we just passed through. Please get a complete patient history and recommend a proper course of treatment. And Bed Nine.. " she consulted the PADD again, "is in for her six month pregnancy checkup."

"Alright I will get started right away."

Isabelle nodded, stepping aside to watch as Dr. Wolf chose which patient to work with first, waiting as he gathered his tools.

"Ma'am, can you give me a hand with realigning and resetting this bone I just want to make sure I do it right."

"Of course." She punched a few buttons on the biobed control panel, and a holographic diagram of the patient's bone appeared above her arm, showing the break midway between the elbow joint and the wrist. She manipulated the readout with her fingers, turning the image of the break in three dimensions, showing clearly where the bone was misaligned.

"All right, so as you can see, the bone is out of alignment here.." she said pointing to the location of the break on the diagram as the patient and Dr. Wolf looked on. "and we'll have to also rotate it here.." She took an osteotractor off of an equipment cart sitting next to the patient's bed, placing it gently around the broken arm. She pressed a few buttons to activate it, and waited as the forcefields inside of the device slowly moved the bone back into position. A minute or two later, it beeped, indicating that it was ready. She checked the diagram, zooming in to make sure that the bone had been moved back into place correctly. "Looks good. Doctor, go ahead and set the bone." She removed the osteotractor and put it back onto the cart, then took a bone regenerator from the same cart and handed it to Wolf.

Wolf grabbed the bone regenerator and started regenerating the bone. As he was doing so, he asked, "So how long have you been the CMO on the Hyperion?"

"Let's see.. " she said, thinking about it. "I've been CMO for about a year now. Since right before the Tzenkethi War."

"A year, wow. So I guess you seen your fair share of breaks and sprains." As Doctor Wolf was talking the bone finished regenerating.

"I have.." She nodded. "Breaks, sprains, surgeries, even a plague; lives saved, and some lives lost.. It's a tough job, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else." She thought back to when she first came on board, a wide-eyed cadet just two years ago; it seemed a lifetime ago now.

She looked over the scan as Wolf finished up. "Looks good, the bone's knitted perfectly." She nodded to the patient and gave her a smile. "It'll take few days for the swelling to go away completely. Please make a followup appointment for about a week from now so we can check on it. And come back in if you have any problems or need a refill on your prescription." She turned back towards Dr. Wolf as the patient left. "Ok.. let's move on to the next patient."

Doctor Wolf walked over to bed nine and asked the patient, "How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing okay, Doc. Not as much nausea as before, but my back hurts and I can't remember the last time I was able to see my feet.."

"Ok, any other pain besides your back?"

Isabelle looked on as the pregnant officer went through a litany of aches and pains, mostly minor, with Wolf checking them off dutifully on a PADD as he listened. He went through the normal scans, ending with the three dimensional holo-image of the baby, which never failed to amaze her in its detail. As she observed, she made more notes in his personnel file for her reports. Wolf seemed capable, but he had many things to learn in this job. The unpredictability of life out here on a starship meant that doctors had to be versatile enough to handle anything from a sprained ankle to a major outbreak.. and she hoped he would be ready.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: Ensign shanx wolf

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:38 am

For future reference, Robert, all your logs should go into a single thread. I've moved this one into your previous one. Logs you write in the future should be replies to this thread.

Other than that, nicely done, you two :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion