Captain Jonathan Rome

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.

Captain Jonathan Rome 11609.26

Postby Einar S » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:46 pm

OOC: With Andrew James as Thalev Idrani

U.S.S. Scimitar
Stardate 10507.13

11 years ago…

Jonathan had been in Main Engineering till late in the evening going over repair reports. He had embraced his position as Chief Engineer despite his mere rank of Ensign with open arms, but sometimes he felt it was too much for him. Especially being part of the senior crew at his age, his lack of experience….his untainted morals.
He had disagreed with the Captain’s course of action, drawing the scorn of the other senior officer and the wrath of Captain MacAllister. Do we need to kill it? he had asked, no pleaded as they came across the sentient amoeba-like lifeform in the Beta quadrant. It had latched onto them for power, suckling on their impulse manifolds like a hungry newborn. They had tried everything as one system after another died, the mains fried and batteries died. But they had time! He told him, he could keep the ship running until they found a way to communicate with it. They had more time…..but they had killed it. To save the lives of the 326 crewmen on board and probably the next ship to come across it. And the next. But it didn’t sit right with him. It probably never would.

He stepped into the mess shall on the akira-class vessel he had learned to call home and ordered a large cup of coffee. Not that Klingon filth the Captain seemed to like, but real Columbian roast. Or as real as the replicator could mimic. As he got his cup he looked over the room, hoping to spot a friend among the beta crew but not spotting anyone….well no one really friendly. Lieutenant Idrani, the ship’s Operations officer was there, his face buried in a PADD and probably drinking one of his nasty worm juices. But he needed to talk to someone, and the Smurf would do.
“Mind if I sit, sir?”

It was actually a ground millipede and beetle tea. It was known to help with stress. After the mission they'd just been through, Idrani needed it. He looked up from his PADD. Of all the people to have interrupted him, he wouldn't has expected it to be Rome. They hadn't exactly got on well in their short time serving together so far. Still, he had no objection, "Sure, but I'm off duty, so it's just Thalev." His two antennae twitched a little as he took another sip of his delicious brew.
Jonathan nodded and sat down tentatively “Thank you, sir”. He took a sip of his coffee and attempted to collect his thoughts before speaking. “Sir. I wanted to ask you something……”
No doubt the young upstart had chosen him for advice as he was clearly excellent at his job and in his duties. He put the PADD down. "Of course."

"Do you agree with you think killing that thing was right?" He asked calmly.

The blue man put his drink down. "Well, it's what the Captain ordered." He realized he probably didn't sound very convincing. Captain Trigger-Happy often liked to shoot first and ask questions later. The questions he asked later were usually about which bottle of rum to open next.
Jonathan reigned in his frustration, not with the Lieutenant….well not only with him, but with their jobs, responsibilities. “I know what he ordered, I was there…..but do you think this is why we’re out here?”
Idrani realized how much this was bothering the young Engineer. "Well, why do you think we're out here?"
“Well sir. To explore new worlds, to meet new lifeforms and build friendships…..since I got on this ship, we’ve fought Cardassians (he refused to call them spoonheads like his fellow officers seemed to do), killed raiders and seen a whole generational ship die because we wouldn’t hand over our warp core. Now we’ve killed a sentient being…..this is not the Starfleet I signed up for”
"Sounds like this isn't the universe you signed up for."
Jonathan looked up from his coffee and resisted the urge to flick his finger at the nearest antenna. “Sir – I…that’s not what I mean. It’s just, I thought Starfleet’s mission was one of peace. Especially after the Dominion war”
"Thalev. Not Sir." He paused. "You're right that Starfleet's mission is one of peace, but sadly I've come to realize that doesn't always happen, or one person's idea of peace, or the cost they'll pay for it, is different than another’s."
“Death cannot be the cost of peace” Jonathan said, irritation creeping into his voice. “We’re not Klingons”
"Well, let's analyse what happened. You're the Captain. What would you have done?"
Jonathan bristled at that and took a sip of his coffee. “I haven’t done Command training”
Idrani simply shrugged. "What would you have done?"
“I….I don’t know. I’m an Engineer, not a Command officer. Doubt I ever have to make those decisions”
"Starfleet's mission is one of peace, but sadly not everyone feels the same way. The amoeba-like creature, for example. I don't know if it could have been handled better or not, but it ended up being us or it. Starfleet wants peace, but as the Dominion war showed, it isn't afraid to fight when necessary. Why do you think they make ships like this," he said, gesturing around with his hand, "Akira class war ships?" He took a sip of his drink. "I come from a species of warriors, yet sometimes I ask myself the same question you are. I'd rather be with the side that wants to promote the ideal of peace, even if it doesn't always work."
Jonathan glanced at his coffee, having lost all appetite. He knew the Smurf was right, but he didn’t like it. “If I do make Command, I’d like to bring us back to exploration. Missions of peace and relief. Not all this death. And it definitely won’t be on a war ship”
"Same here," he replied. "I'd never take a command position on a war ship like the Scimitar."
Jonathan could only nod at that. Perhaps there was hope for Starfleet, if he and the Lieutenant could be of one mind after all.

“I’ve taken up enough of your time, sir. I’m needed back in Engineering”
Idrani nodded. "See you around."
Jonathan stood up and headed for the exit. Perhaps he was naïve, but he didn’t feel at home on a ship with so much blood in its hands. Perhaps he never would.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: Captain Jonathan Rome

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:56 pm

Hahaha, Idrani and Rome really Aristotle'd those predictions. Nicely done, you two :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:14 pm

I've missed those two together!

Postby Einar S » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:01 am

thanks guys! It was fun revisiting the past :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:34 am

I love seeing a more... humble... Rome. :)
More of this, please!

Captain Jonathan Rome 11610.03

Postby Einar S » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:32 am

Jonathan dragged his feet into his Ready Room at the end of a very long day. Took off his jacket, vest and boots and laid them on the sofa. "Computer, beer"

He grabbed the tall glass of synthale from the replicator before sitting down by his desk and placing his feet up. He had been in a meeting with Commander T’Prel for the past six hours, going over everything that had happened on that planet, what he had learned from the Archive and trying desperately to come up with a plan for the Diplomatic Corps to move forward without further contaminating the D’rellians…from themselves.

It was a tricky situation, Federation lawyers were doing memos and the office of alien affairs was in a crisis meeting apparently. The planet needed to be put under protection, but without revealing why. The Romulans knew why, but the Klingons, Breen, Tzenkethi, Orions, Tholians…..they wouldn’t dare attack a planet in Federation space normally. But if they knew….the D’rellians were a big target now, but as long as no one spoke….Starfleet would need to establish a listening post close to the planet and close to the border. It would raise questions, or stir tensions.
He took a long sip of the beer and took a deep breath, flexing his toes. This was supposed to be a nice, fun mission. Something he had dreamed of since he was a raw Cadet. First Contact with an alien species. Of course it had to happen that they were indeed not really venturing into space for the first time, but an ancient space faring civilization with hidden secrets and much to lose. Everything to lose.

More beer.

And they couldn’t tell the D’rellians that the kemocite must never ever be mined. From his discussions with the Ministers after Nael had returned to his ship and returned to Romulan space, he had reiterated that. He couldn’t tell them what he had learned in the cave, but they agreed as they had told him earlier the crystal was sacred and must never be mined. But if they only knew what would happen if they did…if someone did. And he couldn’t tell them. Starfleet had put a gag order on him and his crew, level four Security clearance. He would tell Roj, Danann and Jo, even Strax. But that was it. As far as the rest of his crew were concerned, the first contact mission was a success and now it was time for the Diplomatic corps to take over. At least this time he didn’t have to lie to his whole crew again. And that gave him some relief.

But there was the matter of the new Romulan scout ship. The ‘Defiant Romulan’. Starfleet was interested in the scans made by his Science and Tactical officers and had already been handed a copy of their reports. If the Empire had a new class of ships, Starfleet needed to know. Because he knew there was a new conflict coming. Nael had believed it, and Jonathan now did too. They would fight.
“Death cannot be the cost of peace” he said out loud, remembering a conversation with an old friend.
“What would you do?”
“What I have to, to preserve the peace. As I always have done.” But it was a lie. He wouldn’t fight another war like the last, there was another way. But somehow that also felt like a lie.
He emptied his beer and activated his terminal. So he wrote the report and sent it to Lyon, Danann, Feyna and Strax before he took a blanket from his closet and laid down on the sofa to finally sleep.

Tomorrow would be better. Because it had to be.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Character Name: Ensign Carem Sulev

Postby Emile S » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:38 am

Wonderful log, Einar! I absolutely love to get to peak in what's going on in Rome's mind!
SCI - Ensign Carem Sulev - USS Hyperion

Postby Einar S » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:58 am

thank you Emile!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Captain Jonathan Rome 11610.03 -Supplemental w/NAV Danann

Postby Einar S » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:59 am

Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Captain Jonathan Rome 11610.17

Postby Einar S » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Jonathan let out a grunt as consciousness crept back. He could feel the cold against his cheek first, then his hands against galvanized metal. He didn't need his eyes to know where he was. Jeffrey's tube, but where? And how? Last thing he remembered was that voice, that growl. Then the ship lurched to a stop and....he awoke here.

Did he crawl here?

He sat up carefully, taking care not to knock himself out. He knew the ins and outs of this ship like the back of his hand, but travelling in the dark was dangerous. Dark? There was a power, light. The ship had power. He was remembering. And he had light. He reached down for his wrist where the torch was attached and flicked it on, bathing the narrow access corridor in light.

He checked himself over, he was bleeding from somewhere.

He reaches up to his brow, yes. Cut, not deep. He'll be fine.

Possible concussion?

"Help me". The voice again. He forced himself to remain calm. It was not real. Eva Arrani was dead, long dead. "Help me Jonathan!". He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He hadn't been there to help her. The Tzenkethi had taken her from him.

He had pushed her away from him to keep her safe, but because he wasn't there when she needed him she had died on that terrible day at Sigma Rho. He had wowed revenge after that, killing...slaughtering thousands of Tzenkethi in his warpath. Under the flag of the taskforce named in Eva's honour. He had made Jo murder for him. They were animals anyway.

If she knew, she would be ashamed of him.

"Stop it. You are not Eva, she was strong and powerful and not afraid" he said calmly, more to convince himself than that thing out there.

Which way was the Bridge?

He moved the torch around. There, access hatch 50018B. Deck 5, section 1-8 Beta. .

Why had he come here?

He tried aiming the torch to his left, then his right. Which way? Over there, a junction. Should lead him to the next section. He moved to his hands and knees and pulls himself forward. He's sluggish, his head hurts.

Almost there. What did it want? He tried to make it all make sense. Fear? Why?

He raises his arm and aims the beam of light at the junction.

Movement. Fast. Gone

"Who's there?" he calls out, his voice betraying his confidence. "Identify yourself, crewman!"

No reply.

He taps his badge, double chirp. No signal. He's cut off from the rest. But he's not alone down here.

He reaches down to pat his leg, yes. The phaser is still there. He grabs it and sets it on heavy stun.

He moves ahead slowly and awkwardly, holding the weapon while aiming the torch. The blood is getting in his right eye. He can't lose focus.

He reaches the junction and sweeps the adjoining tube with his torch and phaser.

No one.

But there's something else. Claw marks. Big.

He's afraid.

"Jonathan please, you must come!"

"Stop using her voice. Tell me what you want!" he almost growls.

"Jonathan....Jon please, find me"

The voice seems to fade as if its getting farther away.

He should follow. He knows it's not really her...but something wants him to follow. He's more afraid than he dares admit, but he needs answers. He was led down here, or placed down here. He needs to play this out.

He goes left.

He tries hard to focus as he follows the voice.

Right. Down. Left. Right.

Access hatch. He grabs the actuators and twists. He pushes the panel away and aims his torch in. Yellow grids, the holodeck.

He swipes the torch left and right. He's alone. He crawls out and stretches his legs.

His voice echoes. No reply.

He places his weapon back on his waist and adjusts his torch. Wider beam, better.

He looks around for clues, anything.

He walks closer and feels the blood in his veins turn to ice. Clawmarks. They form words.

Last edited by Einar S on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion