CO Captain Sara Sumner

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: CO Captain Sara Sumner

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 pm

SD 11612.01 (With Aoibhe as Princess Riani)

The knock came in the middle of the night shift while the corridors of the Bremen were dimmed, and most of the primary crew were settled in their (or other poeple's) beds.
Riani tradition dictated that no-one rise from their beds til day break, so the Princess Ria was wholly unattended as she stood, back straight, elbows bent and hands clasped lightly at her navel awaiting the opening of the Captain's door. She wore a fine dress, purple of course to denote status, and inlaid with thousands of tiny precious stones. Her small crown sat atop her gathered white hair, like a miniature castle perched on a snowy hill.

Her face was passive but alert.

Sara woke with a start as the chime rang. She had been dozing on the cough after what had become one of the more emotionally draining evenings of her life. The living room was still half strewn with debris from an earlier tantrum shortly after the dinner fiasco, and she had fallen asleep while cleaning up.

"Computer, time," she mumbled.

"The time is 0315 hours," it said.

"Fuck all of that," Sara sighed, rubbing at her eyes as she willed herself to her feet. She opened the door to find herself confronted with approximately the last person she wanted to see, though the lack of retinue gave her some pause. She was still only in her athletic undershirt, tattoos bared, and she didn't like that she felt under-dressed in her own quarters.

"Princess," she greeted cooly. "If we're going to have an argument, let's take it elsewhere; my lover is sleeping in the next room."

Without preamble, Ria stepped past the threshold and into the messy living room. She surveyed the chaos and said nothing, keeping her judgements to herself.

"We have much to discuss. I have no desire for an argument, Captain Sara Sumner. They are tedious and counterproductive." She turned smoothly and faced Sara. "Have you marshaled your emotions?"

Sara only chuckled at first and ran a hand through her hair.

"I think I've managed to burn them out, so the effect is the same," she answered.

"Frank honesty," Ria observed with pleasure. She glanced around the room, spying a clear space in the sofa "It is traditional to sit during negotiation. Shall we?"

Sara took a few breaths, trying to switch gears in her head.

"Sure," she said, motioning for Ria to sit first.

Ria glided forward gracefully, her eyes cast for a brief but obvious moment towards the closed bedroom door. Her lover was in there, sleeping. That thought alone jarred her senses.
She sat and waited for Sara to do likewise.

"I believe we have much to learn from each other, Captain Sara Sumner," she began, her hands held neatly on her jeweled lap. "For instance, you require my assistance in controlling your temper in front of your crew." She waited to hear Sumner's response.

This wasn't a strong start to negotiations, and it took a great deal of self-control to swallow her renewed indignation and recall her earlier conversation with Raqiin.

"I have given that impression, yes," she conceded. "As I mentioned previously, this crew has had a difficult run recently. I let that distract me from my responsibilities as Captain and a representative of the United Federation of Planets, and I formally apologize for my inexcusable handling of our voyage thus far." Apparently it really was like riding a bike.

"The intricacies of rule do not come easily to those not born to the task," the princess conceeded.

"Further, the infractions of my crew during your greeting ritual are a direct result of my failure in diligence. I give you my word I will do better." Ria turned her body towards Sumner as the Captain spoke on. "That being said, striking any member of my crew for any purpose beyond self-defense is unacceptable. Any issues with their conduct are to be directed solely to me. Is that agreeable, Your Glory?"

"My Mother will be disciplined. Her actions, while justified, are regrettable in this instance. My Mother was simply reacting in my defense as I had wished she would, however, I will ensure nothing like that happens again." Ria, once more turned her attention towards the door to Sara's bedroom, thinking through her next thoughts.

"We are very different, you and I," she remarked, "however, our burdens are very similar. We are both women, both inherently capable of compassion and compromise and I hope, both comfortable speaking plainly as I have come here intending to do. I see you are respected by your crew, but I also see you struggle. I see your crew take their lead from you, as they should. But you must learn to mask your impulses better or you will lead them into chaos. When your men were speaking during the ritual greeting, I was incensed. The disrespect they showed was nothing short of total. Even their presense in the room was difficult to bare, but witnessing their blatant disregard for the honour bestowed upon them at their inclusion had a fire burning in my heart. Nonetheless, I did not react. I trusted my people to take care of the situation.

"You... you reacted, your people saw this and felt justified in escalating the situation further. I called my Mothers to heel, and they obeyed. Your man continued to protest as he was pulled from the room like a wild animal." Ria sighed.
"Rule is not easy, Sara Sumner, Starship Captain, nor is trusting your crew to know what your will is at any given time." She pulled her eyes away from the bedroom door and looked at Sara. "My Dam, before she passed, gave me a piece of advise I think you will value. 'Remain placid, and peace will reign. But if your right, your rule or your people are threatened, show the full force of your fury'."

Sara put her face in her hands and sighed, filled with a mix of annoyance and pity. The hatred Ria and her people held for men was clear, absolute, and completely learned. For a human, and indeed many other species, it was uncomfortably familiar, and Sara had little idea how to deal with it. This was unacceptable by any fiber of her being, and it baffled her how Raqiin could be alright with accommodating such hatred.

She stood up and made her way towards the replicator.

"Coffee, Turkish, straight," she ordered. Today was starting early, it seemed.

"I do not rule," Sara said as she turned back to Ria. "I lead. A ruler beats submission into their subjects. A leader instills confidence in their subordinates. A ruler assumes superiority as a right. A leader accepts leadership as a paramount responsibility."

"Tell me, princess," she continued after taking a sip of coffee. "When was the last time you has an honest, open conversation with a male who did not fear violent reprisal?"

Ria picked dust off her skirt as she thought. "Our men do not fear retribution. They are simply happier in roles with diminished responsibility. There was a time when we existed in equality, but the men, in their irrational greed began to take over. In the place of compromise, compassion and empathy came anger, punishment and subjugation." She felt her own feelings rising at the Captain's judgement and counted to six on her fingers. "It is the interest of my entire people that power remains in gentler hands. Our men agree."

Ria examined Sara as she stood with her coffee. "I see the influence of men even on you now. Such a display of dominance... However... your question has merit. My answer would have to be that I have never had a open, honest conversation with a man."

"I'll make you a deal, then," Sara offered. "If you deign to attempt to speak openly and honestly with a man, I will make every effort to understand and accommodate your people and their ways. I'll even segregate the crew in certain areas of the ship, make a public apology, and arrange another meal. If any males interrupt it, I'll punch them in the throat myself."

The purple princess failed entirely to hide her amusement at the Captain's words.

"I am pleased to agree to your terms. Do I, or do you get to choose the man?"

"I'll let you pick, of course," said Sara, following a mouthful of coffee. "If you choose a member of my crew, I only ask that you refrain from hitting them. I'd hate to have to put a princess in the brig." Maybe.

"I will speak to him alone. That way my Mothers won't be tempted to react to what he may say." She made a small wave of her right hand, her second and fifth fingers pressed together.
"I feel our time has been worthwhile, Captain Sara Sumner." Ria stood in one graceful motion. "It would benefit us both if word of our negotiation, or agreement, didn't spread."

"Not a word," Sara promised, lifting her small mug of coffee in salute. "I'm glad we've been able to come to an understanding. I apologize once more for my inappropriate behavior."

Ria stepped past her, taking one last anxious glance at the bedroom door before turning to the exit.

"Remain placid, and peace will reign," she repeated, and swiftly left.

Sara waited for the doors to close and took another sip.

"But if your people are threatened, show the full force of your fury."
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:36 pm

oh yes. This
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:53 am

SD 11612.01 - Supplemental

Sara frowned in thought as she stared at a slowly-rotating holographic design, her eyes following its contours.

"Computer, expand image twenty percent and slow rotation to, uh, let's say three RPM," she instructed. The ship's computer acknowledged, and the projection, a model for a new style of dress uniform jacket, adjusted accordingly. Something was off, but Sara couldn't quite decide what it was.

The design itself looked fine: reinforced shoulders and elbows, gold-plated fastenings running down the front-left, a high, straight collar, and all in textured semi-glossy vinyl. The color scheme also looked fine, with the reinforced sections colored according to department, along with a classic chevron front-and-back that peaked just below the breast, and the classic white filling in the spaces in-between. She had waffled significantly on the jacket's trim, but kept that white as well, and remained mostly satisfied with that decision. Still, something was off, and watching the model wasn't helping.

"Okay, let's try something different," she offered to no one. "Computer, display the model on a life-sized projection of myself."

"Please stand by for measurement," the computer instructed. Sara sighed and stood, arms held out to the side.

"Measurement complete," it informed. "Chest, eighty-three point five centimeters, b cu-"

"Yeah, I don't need a readout," said Sara, rubbing her eyes in mild annoyance. The computer chirped once more before displaying a doppelganger of Sara dressed in the jacket design. "Enable tactile feedback."

She stalked slowly around the model, grabbing the hemming at various places and checking the fit. Still nothing.

It didn't help that Sara was exhausted. She hadn't been able to get back to sleep after the Princess' visit, and had begun work on the design shortly after. Now Alpha shift was rapidly approaching, and there was no amount of caffeine that could alleviate the tired in her bones. It was going to be a long day.

"Let's give the mannequin a little attitude," she declared.

"Please specify."

"Show me some poses."

A list of preview images poppup up next to the model, and Sara scrolled for a moment before deciding on one with a smirk. The mannequin shifted mechanically into the pose, shifting its hips to one side and resting a hand on the outer side.

"There it is," Sara purred, grinning as she saw what was missing. "Switch to manual editing."

Sara moved to the figure's side and grabbed the hem of the jacket, carefully stretching it down to just above the knee. She carefully shaped the newly formed tails to conform to the Starfleet chevron and took a step back, grinning at the outcome. This was much better: no more whitewash or stuffy fabric, and finally a sense of style.

"Awesome. Save changes as design template hip-hugger one," she instructed.

"Design saved."

"Send a read-only copy with modification science three to Lieutenant sh'Hruvek with attached message: 'Thoughts?'"

"Message attached. Sending file. File delivered."
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Postby Shawna F » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:24 am

Quick, do we have any artists who could totally draw this??
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:51 pm

Cue Aoibhe, stage left
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Einar S wrote:Cue Aoibhe, stage left

Nope. You guys won't let me use "fetch" as an adjective.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Aoibhe Ni wrote:
Einar S wrote:Cue Aoibhe, stage left

Nope. You guys won't let me use "fetch" as an adjective.

Fetch that! I do!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 pm

I'll try and get a rough mock up done this week, but I can tell you now the fasteners will need to go.

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 am

So, I'm still pretty new to the whole learning to draw thing, but I think this gets the idea across. The dark parts are colored according to division (red/teal/gold). Combadge is on the left (viewer's right), with rank insignia over medals and commendations on the right. The little bar that holds the medals has the ship's registry number (NCC-12428 for the Bremen).

This ended up be more in line with male proportions, but it shouldn't be hard to imagine a more slender version for feminine figures.

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Oh, I like it!
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen