SCI Ensign Joseph Hitch

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Re: SCI Ensign Joseph Hitch

Postby Einar S » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:12 pm

haha he sure did, but that's in character :) Actions have consequences and that's what makes the game fun
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:51 pm

I can just imagine Joseph and Adalberto staring each other down, waiting for the other one to break. A true battle of the minds.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:35 am

meh, I have rank on my side. No need for a battle haha ;) But he did put you on record so it's the CSO's problem now
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Sun May 08, 2016 2:18 am

So, the current situation is not the best for myself or the ship as a whole. As it turns out, we were the true cause of the ion storm, and thus we were the reason we were forced to kill all of those innocent lives on that planet. While one of a more emotional mindset would wallow in shame and guilt, I will simply focus my thoughts on the task at hand and continue to work as hard as I did before, perhaps with a deeper intensity even. I do not know if this is my supposed guilt manifesting itself but I can only hope my future actions would not result in another disaster of this caliber. I did not come onto this ship as a soldier, I came in order to forward my career in science, and to engage with new technologies and scientific concepts currently unknown. The interactions with vessels belonging to other races could also lead to the acquirement of fruitful knowledge , and hopefully my own personal discoveries would be able to aid them on their missions as well. Although in light of recent events, such as the Federation confiscating Kesh's matrix as well as deleting any data related to the matrix, and them imploring us to destroy that planet, I am beginning to distrust our superiors, such as the Admiral Bantree, who was the one issuing these orders to us. They have endangered Kesh's life by taking her away from some of the people who had the most experience with modifying the matrix that currently stores her, and who were able to keep her brain stable and healthy. This log shall be inaccessible to all, except those who can enter the password, Cerebellum.
End Log.

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Sat May 14, 2016 3:48 pm

The life. What is the truest value of a human life? Also known as the trolley problem, my paradox is such, is it better to save ten people and let one die, but in my scenario, there are 100 000 people who die. An entire civilization, teeming with possibility, to one day become a spacefaring nation, is gone. With only a single representative left, we have destroyed cultures, discoveries and entire history, all in the name of a greater good. This is a most philosophical dillema, and being such a logical mind, I could never hope to tackle it. Yet knowing probability, there should one day come a time when such problems have solutions that can leave both sides safe content, or perhaps one day when changing history is considered normal, this moment will be the first one they visit. Whatever happens, I believe that guilt shall be a major emotion in the minds of my fellow crewmates. Thankfully I am able to suppress them and focus on my work, yet I can not help but feel that there was a better way to tackle this problem. End Log.

As Hitch put down the Padd on which he wrote the log and sat back in the bar that he had spent the last several minutes writing his log. He thought to himself, "If emotion is so valuable, then why does it interfere so much with someone's actions so much? Although, at times emotion causes humans to work harder in order to avoid these emotions. So, despite at times boasting about the benefits of emotion, why do they try so hard to avoid the bad, and not the good? Is that not hypocritical? I may as well try to do the same, and keep my mind off of this matter." And so he got up, and began to wander around the station looking for something new to do, realizing how human he had become. He knew what to do. He began to track down anyone using hyperbole or incorrect statistics, and correct each an every open of them. That was the Vulcan Way. He would never admit it though.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sun May 15, 2016 1:19 am

He knew what to do. He began to track down anyone using hyperbole or incorrect statistics, and correct each an every open of them. That was the Vulcan Way

This made me laugh.
This was done solid writing, Tim. Nice job!

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: LOG!
Sent: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:42 am
by Aoibhe Ni

Hitch was sitting in his cabin, doing research on his own personal console, which he now had access to after that strange event with the captain. He meant what he had said, he did think someone else was watching over them, and he was glad to be allied with someone also involved in the matter. But what mattered now was his research. He had identified the Lee as having identified the planet as not populated with any intelligent beings, however it very much was at the time when the Bremen destroyed it. Now he was tracking down any crew on it, to see if they had received any large sums of money or gifts, or perhaps an out of the blue promotion in the past 20 years, in exchange for altering the information. If it was altered, that means that someone did not want anyone to know of the beings on the planet, yet if it wasn't, that means 100 000 people appeared on that planet out of the blue. The more likely option was obviously the bribe. Yet what would they have gained? If this was recently that means that people would have noticed the changes, and if it was a long time ago, that means that the person had to predict that there would be both an ion storm caused by the actions of the Bremen, and that the Admiral would wish the planet to be destroyed. It would have been too precise of an action, unless we were dealing with a clairvoyant double agent, the worst kind. Hitch rubbed his temples, this was getting difficult. He drank his Earl Grey tea and pondered who this mole was, why he did this, and more importantly, how he or she did it.

Hitch was distracted from his thoughts by the sound of his door chime. It was late, well past acceptable visiting hours.

Confused at the fact that someone was breaking a fundamental curfew rule, he accessed his panel and used it to relay his voice to the visitor outside,"Who exactly is this? It is well past visiting hours, breaking such a rule is illogical due to the repercussions. I would advise you leave your name and department and return at a later time, somewhere during visiting hours."

"Your application of logic is incomplete," the young Vulcan woman observed. "Shifts on the Bremen, as in the majority of Starfleet vessels, are continuous in nature, each covering one third of a diurnal cycle." She paused. "My arrival at this hour should indicate to you the urgency of the matter I wish to discuss. However, if this fact is not apparent to you immediately, perhaps you are not as promising a candidate as we had surmised."

"However, you had not mentioned you were here as part of business, you only rang the chime, indicating you were here to visit. For all I knew this was only a social visit, but you have now indicated this is in fact part of your duty and Bremen shift. It would have been more logical to state your business first, instead of just chiming the door. Also, the face that I found a flaw in your argument indicates I am most likely intelligent enough to qualify for this position. But first, I require more information."

The Vulcan woman stood in contemplative silence. She had her orders, and they were paramount. Her own opinion of the man behind the never-opening door was an unimportant factor in her calculations at this time.
"I wish..." she said slowly, so that he understood her full meaning, "to speak to you... on a matter of some import."

Hitch nodded, and opened the door, letting in the Vulcan woman. "So, what is this matter of importance that requires both my expertise and the breaking of the curfew rule?"

The woman stepped lightly into Hitch's room, glancing around for a moment before walking deliberately over to his seating area and standing in front of his sofa.
"Your actions on the station have drawn the attention of my superiors, Ensign. They wish to relay several questions to you." She paused, tilted her head and examined him. "How do you feel about the actions these rebel Bajorans took yesterday?"

"I believe that the actions of the Bajorans were acts of terror against the Federation , and that in performing the attacks they caused harm not only to Starfleet crew, but also to innocent civilians as well. This attack was likely the most illogical course of action they could have went with, seeing as this will most likely make future negotiations more tense and will bring distrust to their rebellion."

"Indeed..." she replied, her face expressionless. "What would you have done... in their place?"

"Simple, set up negotiations with the Federation to try to come to a compromise to solve their problems and resolve any grievances. Violence may be an answer, but it is very rarely the correct one."

"And if that failed...?"
"Try to resolve the problems on my own, take matters into my own hands."

The woman feel into an impatient silence. After a few heartbeats, she pressed on. "Elaborate?"
"I lack sufficient knowledge in the topic, but were I a rebel, I would try for resolve things with my government before making any attacks."

"Perhaps," she responded, "they have already done so. And have been left... disappointed."
"If so, I would simply take my business elsewhere, and not deal with a controlling government."

Her pointed eyebrow raised, perplexed. "Very well." She moved to the door. "A remarkably... measured response, Ensign. You are to be commended. Finally. May I ask your opinion of Starfleet?"

"I consider it a fine organization, and I am glad our species gets to be part of such a scientific discovery focused society. Although, when we were forced to destroy the planet due to a Federation error, that being the fact that 20 years ago, that planet was listed as being uninhabited by intelligent beings. So I hold it in high regard, but mostly as a whole."

“Error...?” she inquired softly. “Which planet do you believe was destroyed in error, Ensign?”

"The error being the fact, that 20 years ago, a Starfleet ship was recorded as visiting the very planet the Bremen destroyed, and had stated that there was no sign of intelligent life on it. There would be no way for the planet to reach such a high population in merely 20 years."

The Vulcan woman turned crisply on her heel and examined Hitch. "Your conclusion...?"

"Starfleet should be more careful with its decisions, seeing as in this instance, they decided before they fully investigated their situation, and that led to the death of an entire planet's population. If they had checked the planet, they would have found life. Why there was life means that either the planet was instantly colonized in the last 20 years, or the incompetence of the crew who first examined the planet 20 years ago."

"There can be no other explanation, you believe?"

"Occam's razor. The most logical explanation must be true. The logical explanation being that someone made a mistake, that someone most likely being a ember of the crew who visited the planet 20 years ago. There is another explanation, but it is more illogical than the first. Sabotage."

The Vulcan woman nodded once, reaching her own conclusion. "Very well..." she replied simply. "Thank you for your time, Ensign. You're a credit to Starfleet." She turned to leave.

Closes the door behind her. Looks into the security feed in his room and begins to run a face recognition software. "Let's see who has taken an interest in me."

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:01 am

Careful, Ensign, I feel this kitty could bite ;)

Nice log!
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Hitch sat in his quarters, thinking about his current situation. The Vulcan he was tracking was intelligent, not just so, but she somehow knew that he would be at the bar, or more logically, she had provided multiple locations near the docking berth with a similar data module, knowing that Joseph would have to logically visit one of them in his search for her. Whoever this operative was, she was incredibly thorough. This would be a problem. An opponent matching him in intelligence, but with additional resources would make it difficult for him to find her, and who knows how many ties to Federation officials she had. There was always the chance that the incident with the Bajorans was merely an unfortunate consequence but she had first visited him when the Bajorans were already on the ship, so her planting the virus on the hard drive would have obviously led to the escape of the prisoners, which with her being as thorough as she is, could not have been accidental. If she was ready to endanger the lives of the people residing on the Starbase, all to hide information about her, perhaps she was not as associated with the Federation as inferred. Normal Federation officers were much less eager to ignore ethics, unless of course...Yes, quite possibly yes. There is one organization within Federation that was not so bound by ethical values. Section 31. They were well known for being an elite security detail, which would explain the thoroughness of the Vulcan woman, as well as her ignorance of ethical standards, and that would explain why he was visited. If Starfleet had been worried about his actions during the Bajoran attack, they would have sent an agent not bound by ethics to speak with him, and determine if he was a security risk. This was the most logical answer to the question of her identity, but only time would tell. He would have to present his theory to Captain Sumner as soon as possible, before the Vulcan woman chose to cause anymore damage.

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:29 am

As Hitch stood in Astrometrics, he pondered the exact meaning of the sounds that emanated from the frequency he had just tuned into. Perhaps it was some sort of code, or the audio in the frequency was scrambled in such a way that would require an extra device. As he focused his mind on the succession of noises, he memorized the frequency, and disconnected the module, and re-synced the computer console back to the Bremen. He would have to do some research, and it was best not to take up too much time in Astrometrics, as another Officer could require use of it. Hitch opened the door, and left to get a meal to replenish his mental energy. As he walked towards the lounge, he could not shift his thoughts from the frequency, and what exactly those sounds meant. Opening the door, he walked to a food replicator and ordered himself Tea, Earl Grey, Hot and a Pastry, French Toast, Chilled. He had heard of these Earth delicacies heifer, and had always wished to try them, and in a time of restoring one's energy, perhaps it was best to indulge in new experiences. He did not know the exact psychology of this, he would have to consult someone in Medical about that, but for the time being he was eating French Toast, Chilled and drinking tea, so no need to overthink it, although being a Vulcan, it was a natural instinct to. Instincts are not things to shut off, even in Vulcans, for they are more than emotions, they are a key element of survival. Take away emotion from the Federation, and it would work five times as efficiently. Take away instinct however, and all the things that come with it, curiosity, survival, exploration, and the Federation would collapse. These were strange, abstract thoughts, that seemed to only come to mind ehen he ate a pastry. Perhaps that is why the country France, on Earth, was known for its artistic tendencies. Or perhaps shifting focus from an urgent assignment caused the Vulcan mind to grow philosophical. But the mere mention of the problem returned it to his mind, and the strange sounds once more sounded off in his brain, as he felt his whole mind shift. He was in the mind scape once more, and another tower now stood in this city, new and modern, an importance experience, that would affect his mind just a bit, but affect it still. One that was shaped like a mug of tea, with a piece of toast in it.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen