Officer Ajya - former SF Intelligence, AWOL.

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Officer Ajya - former SF Intelligence, AWOL.

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:58 pm

The water pooled deep and broad during the monsoon on this world, she'd discovered, but it was pleasant nonetheless and explained why all the native huts were on stilts.

She'd assumed on first beaming down that they were to protect against some fierce predator which, while capable of taking down one of the muscular, long-legged locals on dry land, was nonetheless powerless against the climbing poles attached to the south side of each, separate palafitte. She saw now, as the warm rain continued to pour from the heavens for the third week in a row, that her initial assumption had been incorrect. The waters rose daily, lapping to new heights around each hut.
An easy mistake to make, she decided on reflection. While she was an expert in base humanoid behaviour, she was no anthropologist.

Ascending the poles had taken her some time to master. And even now, with her slight frame and weak, human hands, her level of exertion on climbing up to her own hut was subject to much amusement among the younger tribespeople. The laughter only intensified once she'd added rudimentary steps along the length to aid in her climb.

Accepting as they were by her alien features and strange ways, she didn't speak much to the planet's native population. While the universal translator helped, she found that their language was too complex to properly communicate any of its inherent nuance in her native Portuguese and she was often left unsure if they were being deadly serious or merely joking. Despite this, she knew that when she climbed, the younger children would giggle in groups and call her "stubby legs".

At first, she'd taken their derision and amusement to heart. She was not one to be mocked lightly; Iberian fire burnt deep in her chest. But, gradually, she realised, despite all her flaws she had one, great advantage; during the monsoon, these tree-dwellers were stranded high in the canopy, suspicious and discomfited by the water surrounding them.

Gazing across the deeply flooded land, she smiled, curled her bare toes around the rough-hewn edge of her open-air platform, stripped to the waist and dove. She entered the water like a dart, surfacing some way away with a flick of her long, dark hair and a knowing smile on her tanned face. She fancied she heard a few of the tree people cheer, but the rain was drumming too loudly on the water around her for her to be sure. She laughed and swam with all the glee of a woman alone and in control of an entire planet.

Some time later, she pulled herself, tired and gleaming, onto a rudimentary floating raft that she'd anchored in place when the computer in her now submerged Starfleet-issue housing unit warned her about the impending weather anomaly. She lay and rested on the gently bobbing platform for some time, aware that all her technology remained safe and dry under the rising water. The warm rain beat onto her bare skin and pooled in her navel.
The sun was now sinking below the horizon. Soon the rain would clear and the sky with its dazzling mix of colours would become visible - just as it did every night.

She held her breath.

It started slow. A wisp of colour in the corner of her eye. Then another, and another and before long, she was treated to a dazzling light show. Azure blended with violet. Chartreuse flirted in cheerful bursts with fushia. A deep, sultry mauve swirled in a cosmic dance with coral. And then the stars began to appear. This was what she had been waiting for. The chill of the evening was nothing to her as her dark, khol-lined eyes peered skyward, watching for a sign; just one small speck of light out of place, a tiny pin-prick of orbiting, reflected sunlight that might indicate a starship overhead.

The raft bobbed in the darkness, and Ajya waited. She knew he'd join her some day.
She just had to wait.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: Officer Ajya - former SF Intelligence, AWOL.

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 pm

Evocative!
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 pm

tell me more!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:37 pm

That was a thoroughly delightful read! Nice one, Aoibhe :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks, guys. :)

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Cix Jordaïn - former Admiral, SF Intelligence, AWOL.

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:55 am

As far as smuggler havens go, Vanairys was a rather meek trafficking post on it's way down, an inconvenient detour off the vast and intensively used corridor that ran out of the Federation, between the Cardassian Empire and the Talarian Republic.
The lesser quality of current post-war substances made them easily perishable in Talar prime's hot and humid equatorial cities, so prices had collapsed. Starfleet technology was still in demand, ofcourse, but increasingly hard to come by. Raktajino, enriched and compressed into tablets, remained the only economically viable commodity to be traded through here. Illegal on Talar, cheap to aquire along the corridor.

Easy. Boring.

Therefore, Menarosz Cot'Y had been all too eager to push the envelope when an old friend called on his services for something out of the ordinary.
Actually, his client had asked for something rather normal. Plain, but clean. He sipped his hot, spice laden tea and waited for months while the requested pleasure shuttle gathered space dust in its rented berth at the base.

"Would've made a fine getaway spot." Cix thought as the station grew larger on the magnificent backdrop that was this glowing blue nebula. Too bad it rested too far off the regular tourist routes. And outside of Federation space, which was a factor, of course. Even for the rich folk.

Months had passed since Twissel. The resounding success in bringing their entire civilization back to prime space had brought a distinct peace to Jordaïn's mind. Even the collateral, although non-zero, hadn't been too much. Aside from the people that had sadly perished when Bremen surfed the blast wave, the damage had been minimal, negligible.
Alas, the other part of his self imposed quest had failed.

Kesh was gone, forever this time. Yet, he felt closure instead of sadness. Maybe he shouldn't have tried to get Suder back in the first place. Still, having in depth knowledge of what was possible behind the scenes, he felt morally obliged to have a go at it. Transport merging had long been proven viable. It was just very much illegal, too. Good thing Adalberto didn't get the chance to put a copy of her in that matrix of his. She would have never accepted life as a facsimile...

Snapping out of his reverie, the graying El-Aurian dialed the comms to announce his arrival and asked for final clearance. Half an hour later, he parked the Type Eight twentyfour thousand kilometres in from the system's single Jovian planet's Lagrange 3 point, where Vanairys hovered silently.

"Welcome! Most welcome!" the merchant joyfully exclaimed when his guest finished materialising on the pad before him.

Looking around, it was rather obvious that Cot'Y had had ample time to spend on decorating his shop, office, lair, whatever. Soft padded patterns in pearlescent lapis blue and jackfruit yellow velours adorned the walls, with passages and corners framed with black, silver-stitched, silken curtains. The plush carpeting underfoot nearly had Cix in doubt over whether to take off his boots. He just kept them on and shook his old friend's hand while returning that broad smile.

The man sure was happy to see the El-Aurian visiting. Well, anyone, really. The few folk that still trafficked through Vanairys tended to restrict contact to audio communication, at best, and used only transporters for their contraband wares.

"Come, sit! Tea? You must be tired. You look it, at least, haha. Mhm. Forgive me, been awhile since the last friend I met. Food, perhaps? A woman? Not for free, I'm sorry. Thin times, you know how it goes, eh. How have you been? Sit, I insists!"

Cix sat down in the white faux leather sofa and respectfully accepted a mug of hot brew from the merchant's green skinned maid, acknowledging her presence with a nod and a thank you. Her quick scampering at that benign gesture could have raised a question by itself, but the older man had come here for a reason, thus he let it slip. As soon as his host had satisfied his rambling needs, he put down his beverage and got straight to the point.

"Our exchange will go as followed: my end of the deal is parked a safe distance out towards the star. You lead me aboard my requested asset and fly both of us out. There you can inspect the craft and transfer command of the yacht to me, including the amount of gemstones we had agreed upon. Minus ten percent, which I will allow you as interest, I am late after all. Then, I proceed to remove the Starfleet biometric locks from the shuttle to complete our exchange."

Menarozs pulled an uncomfortable, reluctant face at his old friend's demands and sighed.
"Do I really have to come out there? You parked inside transporter range, obviously. I am a merchant, time is precious to my venture, and..."
Cix shrugged and rose from the sofa with a nod.
"So is mine, Cot. I can take my business elsewhere if you like."
"Hey! Hey... alright." the blue guy sighed. "Just don't take too long, okay?"
With a content smile and a curt nod, Jordaïn agreed.
"It'll be over soon."

"So-o-o-o, what do you think, eh? Pretty, isn't she? Bit of luxury, too, here and there. Warp eight, as per request, snazzy one, this... Okey dokey then." Menarozs inhaled sharply, eager to get back. "Your stones are on the dining table, minus those generous ten percent of course. Kylah has them on the station, counting them again, I'm sure! Not that she'll get any of it, haha. Perhaps a moonstone, if she does well tonight, eh! Nudge nudge, wink wink. Right, can we wrap this up? I just don't really trust that green bitch with such a pile of untracable valuables, is all."

The fugitive El-Aurian calmly turned towards him and stepped closer, toying with something between his hands. He smiled and thanked Cot for the tea, affectionately pinching the Bolian's left shoulder. He spoke low-pitched, almost hoarse.
"I have to get going as well. Stuff to do, people to find, et cetera. It was fine knowing you, friend. Pity it'll have to end like this."

"What?" the merchant's confused expression quickly gave way to a gaze of terror when the handheld flux coupler sliced its way through his chest plate, both its spiked tips piercing the Bolian's heart.
Cix held him firmly, easing Cot'Y's faltering body backwards onto the transporter pad as his eyes glazed over.
"I'm sorry, old friend, I really am. There is no other way."

Making sure he covered his tracks, Cix Jordaïn waited patiently, standing at the broad rear window of his new yacht, until the was convinced the Type Eight carrying the remains of his friend had completely disintegrated upon entering the system's star's upper reactive layers. One final nod, then he fired up his new, speedy vessel's core, turned the boat around, pointing it straight at Federation side of the trade corridor, and entered the tracking code to Ajya's locator beacon.

The bright warp entry streak blended well into the background of illuminated blue emission nebula dust. Beautiful. Would've made a fine getaway spot.

Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Oh my god.
Cix is bad ass!!

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:49 pm

wow! I love that old bastard
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Return to U.S.S. Bremen