"A Rock and a Hard Place", Mission Arc #12

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

"A Rock and a Hard Place", Mission Arc #12

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:35 pm

TO: Commanding Officer, Sara Sumner, USS BREMEN
SUBJECT: Priority One. EMERGENCY

An Ion storm of unimaginable proportions has been detected forming six lightyears away from the Deneva system. Astrometrics places it at Level 14, something that has never been encountered let alone speculated at, and its destructive properties put it at an extinction-level event for the inhabitants of Deneva. Evacuation has already begun of the three inhabited planets, but there are over 300 million people to evacuate and only 38 hours until the storm hits - it is already affecting transporters which is impeding the entire process.

Vessels on the scene estimate that over 200 million people will still be in-system when the storm hits. Not to mention what the loss of Deneva Crystals would mean to the Federation Energy Development projects.

Commander Parkinson, head of Theoretical Particle Wave Analysis, has come up with a plan and the Bremen is the only vessel near enough and strong enough to carry it out. If you're ever heard of Trilithium, you know that it's an incredibly unstable and dangerous compound that is slow to synthesize. It takes almost 6 months just to create several micrograms of the compound - We have collected every scrap of it from the Alpha Quadrant, the result of thirty years of work, and have loaded it into a single Trilithium-based photon torpedo. The nearby Eridani nebula has unique properties which we've been advised will destabilise the ion waveform and disperse it; Your orders are to fire the Trilithium torpedo into the Delta Leonis star, the gravitational shift from the resulting supernova will push the storm off course, sending it further towards the Galactic west and into the nebula.

The Torpedo is being transported to your location at Starbase 16, retrieve it and carry out your orders. You have less than 24 hours.

God speed, Captain.

Admiral Alan Jacksmouth
Fleet Command, Alpha Quadrant Operations

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Mission Briefing SD 11604.21

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:28 pm

TO: Senior Staff, USS Bremen NCC-12428

All departments prepare for departure.

OPS/NAV: Get clearance from Station Ops and clear the moorings. Once we're clear, set course for Delta Leonis, maximum warp.

CTO/TAC: Make sure the package is ready to load and arm at a moment's notice.

MED: Keep me updated on the evacuation, Doc.

CSO/SCI: I'm sure Commander Parkinson knows his stuff, but the basis of science is peer review; look over the data and run some simulations if you can. We can't afford any surprises or miscalculations.

aCEO: Mac, break out the cheetah blood. Our girl's not getting much time to rest, I'm afraid; we'll need best possible speed.

We've been through a lot this past week (and beyond), and there are plenty distractions floating around. Just remember that nearly 200 million lives are at stake. We'll all need to stay sharp, but I'm confident in the lot of you. Let's deliver this payload and go home.

That is all.

Captain Sara Sumner
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11604.28

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 pm

OPS/CSO/SCI: I need to know the status of that M-class planet as soon as possible.

NAV: Keep us on position to fire that torpedo.

CTO/TAC: Stand by with the ordinance. We don't have a lot of time to deliberate, either way.

MED: Doctor, in the event we detect advanced life, we're going to need your expertise.

I'm going to tell you all now that we may have to do something distasteful in this situation. There are upwards of 200 million lives at stake, and it would take something extraordinary to make me willing to sacrifice them. In any event, you are encouraged to file any objections you feel are necessary. They will be duly noted.

That is all.

Sara Sumner
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11605.05

Postby C. J. Short » Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 pm

OPS/CSO/SCI: Monitor the ion storm and verify that the supernova is having the intended effect.

NAV: Keep us well clear of the storm, Cadet.

CTO/aENG: Just to be thorough, make sure launching the modified torpedo didn't have any unintended effects on our systems.

MED/TAC: Please see to our guest's medical and lodging needs, and deliver a report to me about them as soon as possible. I want to know why they were there, and for how long.

That is all.

Captain Sara Sumner

Return to U.S.S. Bremen