Captain Kesh Suder, deceased

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Captain Kesh Suder, deceased

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 am

The Commodore stood in the Bremen’s Engineering bay, hands clasped lightly behind his back while his team went through the main computers. His dark, Betazoid eyes and the small Zakdorn pouches on his cheeks showed a rare blend of races, but a useful one for his line of work. It was rare that he spent any time outside of Operations, however he couldn’t pass up the opportunity to finally be rid of the last vestiges of this accursed ‘Matrix’ - the chance to finally have Suder back in their hands was never to be scoffed at either. She’d proven a….useful ally.

Finally, after about thirty minutes of standing around and assuring everyone understood that Starfleet Medical were going to be doing everything in their power to restore Kesh Suder to her natural place in the Universe, Lieutenant Kelley stepped over to him flanked by a few of her fellows. In her hands was a small box, a standard holographic memory module. The lights on top showed that it had a stable and fully loaded matrix.

Carefully, he took it off of her and nodded.
“Purge the Bremen’s systems of the rest. No trace. Anywhere. if there’s an isolinear chip on board with mention of the word ‘Lorriana’ I want it removed”

His team merely nodded and set about their work; they were used to carrying out tall orders.

Stepping quietly out of Main Engineering, Rowan Delar found a deserted passage and tapped his combadge, the chirrup of a connection sounding loud in the empty corridor. His communicator only went to one place, it was the only person he’d ever need to call.

“Suborn transporter control and beam me directly to the Admiral.”

A few short moments later, he disappeared in a haze of blue light.

-------------------------------------

The trill of an incoming transport made her pulse race. She knew this visit was inevitable. But still, fear and nerves caught in her throat as he materialized before her. She sat straight at her desk, feeling her emotions as honestly as she could.
Nothing, she knew, would get past her visitor. She observed the various trappings attached to his uniform, Commodore, this time? she noted.

Rowan nodded his head to her in greeting before placing the memory module down in front of her before standing at attention, offering her due deference.

“Admiral. The purge of the Bremen’s systems is proceeding, they should be complete within the next two hours. Kesh Suder has been...acquired.” He spoke quietly, his eyes glancing at the module on her desk.

“Very good,” she offered, clearing her throat and wrestling her nerves into place at the back of her mind. “Did you experience any resistance?” she asked as she leant forward slowly and gently lifted up the matrix.

He shook his head, the Bremen crew had been remarkably absent. He’d factored that into his strategy.
“Inquisitive people, for the most part. I expect that they’ve tried to hide information away, Captain Sumner shows all of the signs of having done so, but my team won’t let a single chip pass. We have sufficient methods to root out hidden data.”

“I’ve assured the crew that Suder will be taken care of by Starfleet Medical. There’s a team prepared to investigate her regeneration, although that wasn’t the primary dictate for this operation - the Lorriana Matrix has caused too many issues, it’s too dangerous, and it will be destroyed.”

“You mean it hasbeen destroyed.”

A touch of a smile ghosted across Rowan’s lips. “Of course, Admiral.”

Still standing at attention, he continued with his report. “My department’s projections show that this puts us at one-hundred percent completion of the Lorriana purge. Now, we just have to figure out what we’re to do with our guest.” His gaze once more slipped to the memory module.

“Perhaps we should ask her.” Bantree’s hand gingerly touched the small control screen atop the matrix, activating it.

Inch by inch, Kesh Suder coalesced beside Rowan, silently staring ahead. “She's not as… tall… as I remembered, ” Bantree observed.

“Death will tend to do that.”

The Admiral watched Rowan for a moment, a chill traveling slowly upwards from the base of her spine.

“Computer, activate vocal subroutines.”

Kesh's lips parted. “Please state the nature of…” Her face contorted in confusion, “state the nature… please… please state… state please,” she closed her eyes tightly, “Please help.”

Rowan felt the revulsion echoing through Admiral Bantree’s emotions, mirrored somewhat in his own. This was...an abomination - the only word that he could use to describe it. The living are far too selfish where the dead are concerned.

“Captain Suder, do you know where you are?” He spoke to the hologram, his eyes looking over the image standing next to him, his voice flat and emotionless, not trusting himself to let them show.

“Please…” Suder spoke, showing no sign that she was replying to, or even aware of Rowan. She shuddered, gasped in abject panic. All emotion suddenly drained from her face as the matrix in which she resided made several intuitive repairs.
Rowan nodded. Much better.

“Captain Suder, give me a status report.” He mulled it over, thinking that a formal approach might be best to get information from this construct.
“Current status… currently undetermined. Current location… equally unclear. Request additional data.”
Bantree watched silently.

“In time, Captain” Rowan continued calmly. “Confirm status of memory engrams, what percentage of the base neural matrix is intact?”

Kesh tilted her head in silent thought, looking wistfully at a spot somewhere over Bantree’s head. “Memory files are ...99% present and accessible. Personality subroutines present, but inaccessible, I’m… unable to assess level of damage. This body is unacceptable. This is not my body. This is not my body.” Kesh looked Bantree in the eyes, giving her a cold stare, her lips slightly parted, her face a mask of blank bewilderment. “This is not my body, Admiral Bantree.”

Rowan glanced across at Bantree, giving her a questioning look. “A fitting example of why we’re doing what we’re doing. The dead should stay dead, this is...disquieting.” He continued quietly, offering the Kesh clone a brief grimace. “I think she wants to hear more from you, Admiral.”

Bantree shuddered, unable to speak, unable to think. It was like seeing a ghost. She was frozen.

Suder remained focused on the Admiral, waiting for a reply, an explanation. She was perplexed. Her memories informed her that in the past, when confronted with a situation that made her uneasy, she'd get angry, demand answers, knock heads together, but now that visceral compulsion to strike with both fists seemed to have left her.
“I can't hear your thoughts,” she observed, her voice flat. “Admiral, you seem visibly distressed, but I don't sense any emotions from you whatsoever.” She turned her gaze to Rowan. “I can't hear your thoughts, either. What has happened?”

She got no reply from either.

“‘The dead should stay dead’”, Kesh repeated bluntly, watching Rowan with her dark eyes. She ran the phrase through her mind, mouthing each syllable over and over like a prayer.
“The dead…” her hand lifted to her own face, feeling the smooth skin, running her fingertips across her own cheek, lips, chin, neck, all undamaged.

“I suffered third degree burns to my chest, neck and face.” Her hand rested on her clavicle, tenderly stroking her own perfectly rendered skin as she spoke. “Fatal trauma to the chest cavity. Ribs shattered, multiple lung perforations, blood gas critically low, cranial trauma acute …” her voice took on a tinge of urgency as she carried on, “Doc, you've got to help her… Get her on an infuser, immediately, go, go… nurse, activate sterifield… dermal regenerator, we need to close that chest wound. Doctor, we're losing her, her synaptic pathways are failing, we need to -” Kesh blinked. She fell silent, contemplating.

Rowan grimaced slightly, seeing no help from the Admiral. Her emotions were a jumble, he could sense the filaments of fear and anger and disgust coiled in her mind, freezing her mouth. Turning away from her, he faced Kesh and spoke instead.

“You died, Kesh Suder. You are dead. Your current state is thanks to your friends onboard the USS Bremen, they tried to resurrect you and ended up with you stuck in this...state.” He said, unable to keep a touch of anger from coming through in his tone. What they'd done was monstrous.

“We’re going to try and help you, if we can. If you want to be helped. We need your cooperation.”

He watched her and waited for a response.
She bowed her head slowly, her face disturbingly blank.
“I'm not ready to go.”

Rowan nodded, then turned to look at Bantree. “I think that's consent enough, don't you, Admiral?”

Bantree managed a weak nod.

“What happens now?”, Suder asked. “I want to see my crew, my family. They need to know I'm not… that I have survived.”

Once more he turned to face the holographic woman, a brief glimpse of sadness flittering across his face. When he spoke, it was quietly.

“I'm sorry, Captain Suder. You're still dead.”, he noticed that she seemed more lucid, and went further. “Right now you're nothing more than a series of coded memory engrams overlaid onto a holographic matrix, you're...a facsimile of the real Kesh Suder. The Bremen crew were trying to reanimate you, overlay a neural mesh onto a cloned body, but they failed and now you're stuck.” He said, as if apologising for something.

“What happened to my body?”
Bantree shuddered and managed to speak. “There was a memorial, on Earth. Your remains burnt up in Earth's atmosphere, Captain. It was… a fitting tribute.”

“Then there is no other Kesh Suder. Therefore, I am the real Kesh Suder.”

He glanced at Bantree briefly, knowing that there was much she didn't - couldn't - know. “Right now you’re roughly four Gigaquads of data in a holographic memory module. There are options from here, however, but none of them are pleasant.”

“Options…? Elaborate.”

Rowan glanced once more at Bantree, then faced Kesh again. “No. Suffice to say, there is an equal chance that you can be restored to a body, or that your memory engrams will become lost forever. There won't be a second life for you after that.”

He pondered over the choices he'd given her. In his own mind death was the preferable option, life as a holographic simulation was terrifying to consider. He suppressed another shudder of revulsion.

“Copy me.” Her tone made it clear that it was an order, not a request. “Copy me and hold the copy in stead lest the reanimation process fails”

“Impossible,” Bantree breathed.

“She's right. It's remarkable this worked as well as it did.”
Kesh turned her attention to the carpet, appeared to mull through her choices before losing focus, her image flickering for a moment.

“Your memory engrams are already starting to degrade now that you're activated. The process that the Bremen crew used isn't perfect, with each copy there would be less and less of your original neural matrix - you have one shot until permanent, noticeable degradation occurs and you start losing what makes you more than just a hologram.” Rowan explained, starting to tick off points on his fingers, his voice quiet as if discussing with a terminal patient what options were left. ”Within a week, you'd be no better than a library program, spitting out action replays of all Kesh Suder’s memories. Within two, there would be nothing more than basic personality imprints. Within a month even that will be gone.”

Suder nodded, her medical background proving to be helpful in understanding what he meant. “Then, deactivate me, and work fast. Involve the Bremen Engineering crew; they are responsible for this, they should see it to the end. Enlist Commander Adalberto, Doctor Kymar… Henry Sumner… I trust them. They are resourceful and discrete.”

Rowan’s brow narrowed slightly, he didn’t appreciate being told what to do. “Trust me, Captain Suder, we will be bringing in every available resource. The methods we have are untested, but we are confident that we can repair the damage that was done to you.” he said with just a hint of pride. He had no intention of involving the Bremen again after the colossal mess they’d already left him with.

“I insist,” she replied, looking away from Rowan with cool disinterest.

He simply nodded, turning back to Bantree. “Then with your permission Admiral, we should begin immediately. I will transport Captain Suder and her memory module to the Augustus.”
“Yes, yes, of course,” Bantree breathed, having recovered a little. “Godspeed, Captain.”

Without much more adieu Rowan reached over and deactivated the holographic module, the image of Kesh Suder shimmering out of existence without a word. He felt a slight weight off of his shoulders as he picked it up and tucked it under his arm, addressing the Admiral again.

“By your leave, Admiral. We will be in contact again.”

He waited for her dismissal before turning and leaving the room, striding out into the corridor and once more finding a quiet corner where he could tap his comm badge, opening a direct link to the Augustus.

“Suborn transporter control and bring me home.” he spoke to the air, and a few seconds later dematerialised with practised precision, reappearing shortly into a small office room, the single window looking out onto an empty starfield.

With care, he placed Kesh’s memory module onto his desk next to a stack of neatly arrayed PADDs, then reached up to pluck the commodore’s insignia from his lapel and toss it onto the floor. The ruse was done, it always felt like a noose when he wore pips that weren’t his. That finished, he sat down in the worn leather chair, clasping his hands together on the desk as he stared at the module in front of him. So much trouble, so much work. But it would pay dividends, or at least help clear up the mess, it was all a matter of turning every situation to your advantage - his years of studying Aikido had taught him that, a good basis for the training that Section 31 had subjected him to. Rowan tapped his comm badge again.

“Set course for the Gamma Epsilon cluster and engage. Notify me when we’re in range.” He heard the confirmation chirp before the comm closed itself.

Sitting up, he pulled the terminal over and splayed his fingers out across the keypad before setting to work tracking down three very specific Starfleet officers.

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Re: Captain Kesh Suder, deceased

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:49 pm

:O
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 pm

she's in it now
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Einar S wrote:she's in it now

Hasn't she always been...?

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed May 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Ethics and Morals, written with Aoibhe Ni as Kesh Suder and James Greenman as Kymar Dremel

viewtopic.php?p=5624#p5624

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed May 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Yes!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:27 pm

viewtopic.php?p=5852#p5852

Guest Starring Henry Sumner. :)

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:40 pm

With Einar as Tony, set prior to Henry's assignment to the Rho

The Majel was a fairly typical Mercury-class Federation freighter, at least on the outside. The hull had grown increasingly patchwork, which had been hidden somewhat by a growing decal running the length. Civilians had a lot more leeway with that sort of thing, and Henry had often made sketches of potential paint jobs for the ships he'd served on.

The typical nature of the ship was only skin-deep, however. The Majel had begun to garner a reputation for delivering its cargo ahead of schedule. Clearly, the ship had someone talented working in the engine room. One of the 'best and brightest,' in fact.

Henry managed to make his way onto the ship and down into the engine room, where he lay in wait. It was the middle of the night by the ship's schedule, but Henry knew his target. He would find some reason to skip sleep, some project to occupy himself. That was part of the lure, he figured; above all else, the Majel kept Tony busy. Occupied. Safe.

The door slid open, bathing the warp core controls in light before a man stepped through the hatch, before he could close the door Henry stood up from the shadows.

“Good god!” Tony exclaimed as he dropped his coffee cup and PADD. “Goddamnit Henry you sick son of a bitch…you nearly scared me to death!” He took a moment to calm his breathing and collect his thoughts as Henry stood there, dressed in civilian clothes and several days unshaven. “So? You found me”

"At the behest of a mutual friend," Henry stated. "Honestly, I thought it'd be a bit harder, but then you sent that message to Raqiin. Also, Tony 'Stark?' Really?"

Tony sighed, he had tried to shroud his call, but if anyone wanted to find him, they would put the best hacker he knew on the job. And that was Henry. “It’s a classic, not many people read classic comics these days….and it’s quite fitting if you ask me”. He bent down and picked up his PADD and coffee mug. “This engine room was missing coffee stains on the deck plating…..what’s up Henry?”

"Your presence and expertise is requested on Selma II," Henry offered, casually looking over a modified plasma manifold. "We're rebuilding Kesh."

Tony said nothing for a while, watching Henry run his hand over the welded together equipment. “Got it from a Xindi trader at our last stopover. Some modification was needed but she purrs like a Selat”. He walked over to the engine core and brought up the status display. “Rebuilding her, huh? About time she found that partition….but why do you need me?”

Henry gave the manifold a gentle thump, and seemed satisfied with the installation.

"Nobody knows her holomatrix like you do. It's, uh, starting to break down. If we're going to transfer it to a physical body, we're going to need someone who can keep it together," he explained.

"Also, she asked for you, specifically. Told me to tell you that 'the universe is a cold place without friends,' which I'm sure is a meaningful callback to something.

Tony glanced over at his friend. Friend? “She always says that”

“Tony - If you ask me, which you didn't, I'd say you should do it for yourself. We lose enough lives to the void; you deserve to be able to drag one back with us."

He walked over to the walkway to the core controls and sat down. “What’s the plan? She wanna break some laws and replicate a living being to posess?”

Henry gave a slight shrug, leaning lightly against a nearby console.

"Kymar is meant to work out the method, but that's why your input is needed. We're not sure what the best route is, but I think it's safe to say that the legality of this project isn't particularly stressed. But legality and ethics aren't the same thing. I don't want to be part of a project that sees undue suffering any more than you do. If we determined that we can't accomplish that, then we can walk." Henry sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"She's not ready to go, Tony. She still exists because of your efforts. All I'm asking is that you help us make sure it sticks."

"She's too stubborn to die you mean"

"Same coin," Henry remarked. He watched Tony quietly for a moment, hands in the pockets of his heavy jacket.

"How are you holding up?" he asked, switching tracks.

“You know me. I keep moving” Tony said, putting his own hands in the pockets of his overalls. “I keep busy with the Majel”

Henry gave a nod of understanding. Burying himself in projects was basically how he'd survived his teenage years.

"You talk to, uh... what's her name... Danann?" he asked, arms folding.

“How is that any of your business?” he asked back defensively. In fact he hadn’t. He couldn’t bear to face her, it would only hurt. “My personal life is that, personal.” Tony walked over to the nearest console and brought up a subroutine he was running in the navigational scanners. “Taemin is in the area, Henry. I’ve been keeping an eye out”

If Henry felt at all chastised, he didn't show it, nor did he seem particularly concerned about the mention of Taemin.

"So should I tell Kesh that you're gonna leave her hanging because you're chasing her cosmic twin while everyone else is content to let her go? Or should I go with the whole too-busy-running-from-your-past thing?"

Tony sighed and looked at the Majel's core, with which he'd become intimately familiar.

"If there’s even a chance… who am I to say no?"
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Ooh :D
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:37 pm

If they need an expert on Kesh's holo matrix, they could come to me as well. I was on that assignment, and it was my top priority at the time. Great log!

Next

Return to U.S.S. Bremen