The Jaws of Victory - Interlude

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

The Jaws of Victory - Interlude

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:16 pm

“Have you ever grown your own food?” the woman asked as she strolled along the corridor, her young assistant trotting half a step behind.
“No, never had to. We've always had replicators, even as kids.”
She laughed. His implication was clear. He thought she was old enough to remember a time without such conveniences. “So did I, Dirk. But recreationally... in school, maybe you had a sweetheart who insisted on 'getting back to basics'?”
“No ma'am. I was never one for dating, really.”
“Hm...”
Silence descended as they walked, passing evenly spaced doors, recessed at regular intervals on either side. Little red lights blinked above some of them. Others, were decorated sparsely with steady green ones.

“I did, once,” she offered, realising he wasn't going to ask. “I dug potatoes at a summer camp for wayward teens. All that strain and effort and backache, for a few measley little pucks.”
“I bet they tasted amazing, though” he offered helpfully.
“They tasted like potatoes, Dirk. Potatoes taste of whatever sauce you care to put ON them.” She took one of the PADDs he'd been carrying. “My question is... if technology has come on so far... if we've taken all the effort out of feeding a vast federation of people... no more digging, watering, harvesting, chopping, cooking, dishing up... why haven't we made similar strides in interrogation...?”

The entered a room with a red light above its frame.

“Let's try this again, shall we...?”
Alexandria Lincoln looked sideways from her position in the corner. She was huddled up, trying to sleep. She licked her parched lips and warily watched her visitors. She closed her eyes and prepared herself.
“Ms. Lincoln,” Dirk said, pulling a chair to the middle of the room for his boss's ease. “We know he did it. We just need you to confirm it.”
“I've never heard of him.”
A monitor above the journalists' head activated as she spoke, analysing her tone, inflection, her heartrate and pupil dilation. All indicators pointed to “Truth”.
Dirk tisked. “Do you know how many times we hear that response? If you're gonna pick a cliché, Ms Lincoln, pick a good one. You're meant to be a writer.”
“I'm a journalist, not a novelist,” she croaked.
“You're hardly even that, let's face it,” Dirk replied, activating a PADD. He read from it. “Get the most out of your Horgon”, “This class one probe scanned a nebula. You'll never guess what it found”, “The beauty regimes of Starfleet's hottest humans”... need I go on?”
Lincoln pulled her knees closer.
“This story you wrote is a huge break for you. It could catapult you into the big leagues...”
“Fat good that did. It was all redacted before my editor had a chance to see it.”

“That was for the best,” the woman interjected.
Lincoln focussed on her, watching her approach the seat and fold her sinewy body into it.
“The people need to know. They have a right to the truth!!”
“Righteous journalistic indignation... is that what you're going for here?”
Lincoln fell silent. She was tired, thirsty, hungry and disorientated. She wanted out of here but she also needed to protect her sources. That was essential, she knew that.
“Let me see his picture again...” she said, her shoulders slumping.
Dirk stepped forward, tapped the screen over her head. She stood shakily, and blearily took in the visage before her. “Sure,” she said, deflated. “That's him. Brown eyes, dark hair, Roman nose... sure. He handed me a PADD with all the data I added to the article, OK?” She turned to look at them.
The screen on the wall blinked behind her back, analysed her speech and confirmed she was lying.

The woman smiled, nodded her head and motioned to Dirk to follow her out.
“Hey!” Alexandria called as the door shut closed once more. “What about me?!”

The woman paced with purpose down the corridor once more.
“Find Tony Adalberto...” she ordered, slapping the PADD in her hands onto Dirk's chest. “One way or another we're pinning this on him.”
“And contact Teval. Tell her to go to Phase Two.”

Commander

Re: The Jaws of Victory - Interlude

Postby Einar S » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Wait.....what?
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:05 am

Einar S wrote:Wait.....what?

Mwaaahahaha

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:34 am

::can see A's evil grin from here, somehow::
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:50 am

It's that ominous shine on the horizon, Gunther. It bodes no good. :)

Ensign

Postby Timofei Lerman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:34 pm

I have no idea what's going on. Who are these people?

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Postby Shawna F » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Oh no don't you dare touch Tony!
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:33 pm

can't but feel this is YOUR fault Shawna!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Timofei Lerman wrote:I have no idea what's going on. Who are these people?

I believe the torturers are Starfleet Intelligence or even Section 31. (Is there even a difference anymore?)

The woman being questioned is the reporter that Captain Sumner and Lieutenant sh'Hruvek leaked information to regarding your last two mission arcs.

And since your former CEO, Tony Adalberto went AWOL around that time for totally unrelated matters.....THEY ARE PINNING IT ON HIM........I hate you Aoibhe.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Nicely summarised, Einar. Thanks for jumping in!

PS, you don't hate me. You love it when I make Tony out to be the bad boy. :P

Next

Return to U.S.S. Bremen