ENG Cadet Jonas Illin

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Ensign

Character Name: Jonas Illin

ENG Cadet Jonas Illin

Postby Paul Scott » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:41 am

"Begin Cadet's log, Stardate 11608.20"

"I finally made it to my first posting. The Bremen looks to be a fine ship. Certainly far less rickety than the old Miranda and Constellation class training ships at the Academy. It's hard to know what to expect, but I'm eager to begin my duties."

Jonas looked over to his bag, still unopened and laying at the foot of his bed. He was slouched in the only arm chair in the cramped crew quarters. He should have been pleased, they were still bigger than the Academy dorms, and through some miracle he didn't have to share with anyone. It was true to say that the Bremen had been his first choice of assignments, but yet a part of him was unsettled.

He had been happy at the Academy by the end. He had made friends and he had ultimately enjoyed his studies, but being out on a ship in the far reaches of space was something new.

He unzipped his uniform jacket, slipped off his boots and tried to get comfortable in the typically unluxurious, standard issue armchair.

"Computer, begin personal letter to Lien Illin, addressed to the House of Illin at the Betazed City of Janar"

He paused for a moment. What did he want to say? Being an empath he was always so in touch with everyone's emotions but sometimes his own eluded him, and it was at those moments when there was only one person in the Universe he ever wanted to talk to.

He took a deep breath while the computer waited to dictate the coming words.

"Hi dad.

I'm finally here. An officer on a Starship... It's what I always wanted right? That's what mom would say. She always said that it was what I was meant to be. It's what I've worked towards all these years. I studied hard. I may not have been the best in my class but I did well enough to be proud, right?

Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing out here. I know, you know that. You always said I should have made my emotions more clear to mom and you were right, but that was always easier said than done.

I keep thinking back to those trips we took to Vulcan. Do you remember that time you took me to that shrine while you were researching characters for Shade Under the Raptor's Wing ? I think I was about thirteen and it was around the time when mom had finally decided I wasn't cut out to be an architect and instead said I should start trying to study biology for some reason.

Anyway, I remember that while we were in the shrine and you were talking to the monks, I was watching the initiates in their meditation. I could feel their emotions. They were all just kids and were filled with doubts and fear about themselves, but through their training covering all of that was this blissful calm... I really envied them that. Back at home it was like being in the middle of a hurricane; always getting blown around by mom's wishes for us. But there in that shrine, it was like being able to feel how I could cope with anything if I just focused on the task at hand and let that uncertainty slip into the back of my mind.

That was how I got through the Academy... Was that a mistake?

I'm sorry dad, I don't want you to get worried about me or anything. I'm on a good ship out here and I'm probably just getting some first day jitters. I'll probably put this all down in a story at some point, which I'll no doubt send on to you for your personal approval. I am kinda looking forward to telling my shipmates that I'm the son to a famed holo-novelist. I made sure to bring with me your entire catalogue for them to try out.

I love you dad. Give my best to mom and the others."
Engineering Cadet Jonas Illin
USS Bremen

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: ENG Cadet Jonas Illin

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:15 am

Awesome first log, Paul, and welcome aboard!
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:15 am

That was a really nice read!
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:13 pm

Hitting the ground running, there, I see. :golf:
Nice intro, Paul! I'm thrilled to have a Betazoid on my ship, by the way. I'm gonna have fun with that, I'll tell ya!

Ensign

Postby Paul Scott » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Aoibhe Ni wrote:Hitting the ground running, there, I see. :golf:
Nice intro, Paul! I'm thrilled to have a Betazoid on my ship, by the way. I'm gonna have fun with that, I'll tell ya!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. First time I've been in an RPG group of this nature before so I'm looking forward to it.

Kinda felt like going with a race that has some mental abilities. It makes things more fun that way. :P
USS Bremen

Cadet

Postby Laura M. » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:51 am

Interesting background story and good to have you on board, Paul! It’s reassuring to be no longer the only one who has no experience at all with this kind of game. :-)

Ensign

Postby Paul Scott » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:20 am

Thank you, Laura. :) I felt the same about yours. I think it's likely that Jonas will benefit from Lorian's wisdom at some point.
USS Bremen

Ensign

Postby Paul Scott » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:16 am

Jonas' slumped forward and slammed his head against the console. He'd been working all day, staring at a computer screen filled with programming code, running diagnostics on the Bremen's operating system. It was a long, thankless task, which was likely why he was assigned it as the new guy aboard. The Engineering team certainly were quick to assign their fresh faced cadet to whatever dirty or dull jobs they didn't want to do themselves. Jonas still had two more hours of a ten hour shift to go, but that might as well have been an eternity away.

The cold surface of the terminal felt good against his forehead as he felt it throb from a headache. Jonas was used to them, but he was pretty sure this one was from the work rather than being in touch with the crew's emotions. The rest of the crew felt like they were in a good mood on the main, though that just made him feel even more alone than usual. He made a mental note to write another letter to his father later, before forcing himself to face the computer once more and continued to scroll through the endless stream of code and checked it against known norms... He truly did hate his job.

They never mentioned this sort of thing in the Academy Corps of Engineers.

Like all Academy departments, the CoE had portraits of their favourite icons in the hallways and lecture halls. In the command and science divisions these were usually portraits of the great Captains and explorers; Archer, Kirk, Spock, Sulu, DeSoto, Picard, Calhoun, the list was endless. However for the CoE the portraits more often took the form of the great engineers from Starfleet's history such as Cochrane, Tucker and Scott. Each one was known as the great miracle worker of their age. Able to get a warp drive built with nothing but a little anti-matter and a lot of witchcraft. And all the classes were filled with lecturers who brimmed with pride at the role the humble engineer plays at keeping the mighty starships of the fleet operating... Jonas couldn't help but wonder now when the last time any of them had single handedly run an in-depth diagnostic away from their precious warp cores.

Still, there was a small mercy in that he was getting some time to himself. Jonas hated it almost as much working in the engine room where the back slapping camaraderie reminded him more of a Klingon wine bar more than a starfleet ship... Generally he had yet to find anywhere aboard that he felt truly comfortable other than his quarters or one of the quieter crew observation lounges.

Feeling defeated, Jonas stretched in his chair and let out a lengthy yawn. He needed a break.

"Sickbay then coffee, or coffee then sickbay?" he thought aloud as he got up to take a ten minute break. He needed a painkiller for his head, as well as caffeine to ensure he'd even stay awake for the next two hours.

He closed down his screen as he set up an automated diagnostic that would be finished by the time he returned... Two hours still seemed like an eternity away.
USS Bremen

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:23 am

the cold reality of active duty! great log man :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Nice atmosphere, I like that!
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-