Mission Orders - "Royal Blood" - Mission 15

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Mission Orders - "Royal Blood" - Mission 15

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:15 pm

The lavender hued hand reached out for another sweetmeat, its slender, pointed fingertips hovering over the selection plate for a moment. Rolling a talick bread up delicately between first and sixth fingers, Ria examined the morsel lazily before doing something she wasn't accustomed to.
"What is he like?" she repeated.

Silence persisted until her sharp, almond shaped eyes fell on her envoy's stooped body.
The only man in the room, he raised his head from a deep bow. "He's fertile, your glory. His family have proven credentials. He shows no symptoms of the defect."
"Yes, yes," she snapped, shifting on her cushioned dias, "but what does he look like... his temperament... his scent..."
"I... I... " the old man was at a loss. "He looks... healthy, your glory. Virile. His temperament is... reputed to be docile, I don't believe you will be disappointed, as to his scent, I... I... " he trailed off.
"I will meet him," she announced, "before the wedding."

The assembly gasped as one.
"But, but..." the old man stuttered his displeasure weakly.
"But, but nothing," she replied. "I am sovereign, I will meet him." She dropped the talick bread back onto the platter, uneaten, and dusted her fingers. "If I am to sire an heir by him, this is how it will be done. See to my travel. We will bring the traditional gifts, in case he proves worthy."

The assembly bowed as one.

Princess Ria, the most glorious protector of Bistal, regent imperial to the lunar colonies of Daz and Doro, defender of Volkz and Denna and great honorable holder of the royal mark lay back on her mountain of pillows.
She was only twenty five, but after the sudden death of her mother, and her rapid ascendancy to the dias, her council had begun advising her to produce an heir. And since there was no guarantee of a daughter, she may have to try again and again. "Better to start young," they said, the irony of that statement coming from a sea of old, childless women not lost on her in the slightest.

So, she'd travel to examine this man. At the very least, it would be a holiday.

Commander

Re: Mission Orders - "Royal Blood" - Mission 15

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:17 pm

TO: Commanding Officer, Sara Sumner, USS BREMEN
SUBJECT: Mission Orders

Captain Sumner,
You and your crew have been selected as honour guard for the final leg of the Princess Ria's wedding voyage.

The Princess will be accompanied by her own entorage, and vessels from her royal armada, and the Bremen is to guide them to their rendez vous point in the Denna system. You will also be required to house and transport a variety of live, indigenous animals that make up the princess's wedding gift to her intended.

The ship computer contains all you need know about this fascinating race.

Take care, Captain. While this mission may seem trivial, I assure you, to the Riani, and to the princess herself, it is of the utmost importance.

God speed, Captain.

Admiral Elsbeth Bantree
Fleet Command, Alpha Quadrant Operations

---

The Riani people are an extremely formal race, with very few daily tasks avoiding a certain level of formality and ritual.
Rituals include formal greetings and blessings (All present must bow in order of rank, from lowest to highest), a strict set of rules governing meal times based on the hierarchical structure of those in attendance (those seated eat each mouthful in order of rank. When the highest ranking member is full, all are required to cease eating) as well as bathing (water temperature, number of times each body part is to be cleaned, duration of bathing, etc) entertainment (holodecks and digital recordings are considered wholly untruthful. Live music and plays are prefferred), night time rituals (strict bed time is observed, with no exceptions).

They are strictly matriarchical, with very little mingling between the genders in daily life. While the Riani are extremely strict about this on their own worlds, they are aware that this is an untenable state to expect a starship crew to adhere to. However, contact between the sexes should be limited to on-duty contact as often as possible. The mess hall of the Bremen is to be segregated along gender lines, with a separate space also provided for crewmembers who do not identify with either Riani genders.

The princess is accompanied at all times by a group of at least eleven elder women, officially called "the mothers", though none of them have born children. These women will monitor the princess' environment, run errands and protect the princess at all costs. They are each trained in a variety of skills which include a diverse array of languages, martial arts, cullinary arts, medicine, diplomacy, and engineering. They all dress identically in white shift dresses as a sign of their commitment to the royal house.

The royal line has remained unbroken for centuries, with each generation producing the next queen by way of arranged "marriage" with a suitable mate. However, the royal bloodline has, in the last few generations, suffered some degredation due to unintended in-breeding. Therefore, suitable blood-royal mates are proving difficult to come by. with many potential partners showing symptoms of their genetic infirmity that make them unsuitable.
Signs of this degredation are few, with the princess herself only displaying one outward symptom; her deeper, lavendar skin tone.

Riani have slender bodies, six fingers on each hand, and no opposable thumbs. Their hair is worn long for both genders, often tied up in an elabourate knot. They are vegetarian, but will break this rule at times of great celebration. They do no metabolise alcohol efficiently, and so, tend to avoid it.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Mission Briefing SD 11611.17

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:44 pm

TO: Senior Staff, USS Bremen NCC-12428

All: I'm not going to lie. I don't like this mission. I am fundamentally opposed to segregating my crew for any reason.

Unfortunately, these are our orders. Any meals eaten with the Princess or her entourage are to be considered State meals. You will be required to wear your dress whites. You will, against my better judgment, be segregated along gender lines.

I will not, however, enforce segregation during off-duty hours. I will bear the consequences of disobeying this order. If any of you object, please inform me and it will be noted in my log.

OPS: Ensign, please have a cargo bay converted into some kind of stable for these animals. In addition, please liaise with Princess Riani's entourage to arrange accommodations.

CTO/TAC: Please arrange security for the Princess' stay.

CSO/SCI: Please review our information on Princess Riani's people and fill me in on anything our summary left out.

Regardless of how we feel about this mission, please remain respectful and on your best behavior.

That is all.

Captain Sara Sumner
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11611.24

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:24 pm

TO: Senior Staff, USS Bremen NCC-12428

All: Dinner will be served at 1800 hours, and is an official State function. In accordance, all officer-level personnel (including Cadets) are to wear their dress uniforms. In addition, in deference to the Riani delegation, the room will be segregated along Male and Female gender lines. For those of you belonging to species with non-binary genders divisions, you will be given a separate section of the mess hall as well.

To those of you understandably offended by or opposed to such segregation, I apologize. However, the Riani have been willing to defer to our cultural norms, and so we must make a similar attempt.

There will be a reception following the dinner at which time you may converse with our guests. However, please remember that it is considered highly inappropriate for males to openly address females. Male officers are asked not to address female members of the Riani delegation unless approached first, and to always be deferential.

That is all.

Captain Sara Sumner
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:27 pm

::cackles with glee ::

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11612.01

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:44 am

TO: All Personnel, USS Bremen NCC-12428

All: I owe you all an apology. I don't need to tell you how difficult the last few months have been. We all try to cope in our own way, but I have allowed myself to lapse in my duty as your Captain, and as a Starfleet officer. I have represented you poorly so far in our dealings with the Riani. I have failed to be diligent in understanding Riani custom and allowed it to result in the striking of Ensign Hitch.

I understand some of you may be angry about that, and rightfully so. I'm sure some of you don't particularly care to accommodate the Riani, and I sure as hell encouraged that position with my attitude and actions. That stops now.

We do not have to agree with the Riani or their ways to show them respect, and it is not Starfleet's job to enact social change on non-Federation worlds. We will observe Riani custom to the best of our ability going forward. To that end, I have scheduled another state dinner tomorrow night in the mess hall. Exact instructions will be distributed to all officer-level crew members later today.

In the meantime, please see the attached diagram highlighting the primary areas the Riani will be using during their stay. While in these areas, I ask that all crew refrain from communicating with crewmates of differing genders while any Riani are present.

Going forward, I will do my absolute best to represent you with the dedication and diligence you deserve. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to leave me a message, stop by my quarters off-duty, or request a meeting in my Ready Room.

Thank you. That is all.

Captain Sara Sumner

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11612.08

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:47 am

TO: All Officer-Level Personnel, USS Bremen NCC-12428

All: Alright, let's try this again. We will be hosting the Riani delegation for dinner this evening at 1800 hours. All officers are to attend, including Cadets. There is to be no talking as our guests arrive.

Upon Princess Ria's entrance, all are expected to give a respectful bow in order of rank. Cadets will bow first, followed by ensigns, then junior grade lieutenants, and so on. You will be seated in order of rank to help facilitate this. I will bow last. Before dinner is served, I will give a short speech.

During our meal, it is very important that no male officers address female officers or members of the Riani delegation unless explicitly invited to. If that occurs, you are to address them respectfully and deferentially in accordance with Riani custom.

The more smoothly this dinner goes, the sooner it will be finished. I don't believe I'm in a position to tell everyone to behave themselves (except for the whole Captain thing), but I would ask that you keep this in mind.

Upon successful completion of this mission, we're throwing a mixer.

That is all.

Captain Sara Sumner

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Ria waved this latest dress away, feeling it was a little too formal for the atmosphere she expected to find in the Lounge later at the state banquet.
"Bring in the next three dresses," her Mother ordered, sending a few attendants scattering. She looked up at the young princess who was perched on top of a short pedestal in a light slip dress, her slim arms and legs bare.
Ria stared doggedly at her own reflection. "Go ahead and say it..." she allowed, with a soft flick of a finger in the air between them.
The Mother took that as all the invitation she needed. "He isn't from our home, Princess...", she began, her hands outstretched in supplication, her criticism was softened by the hand gesture that accompanied it; the Riani language being as much about what was said as what was intended.
"That is part of the reason he is a desirable choice," Ria returned, brushing her long hair off her shoulder.
"He has no royal blood to speak of, he..."
"He has been scanned, hasn't he?"
"Yes, Princess, yes... and our scans have proven he would indeed help you bear healthy, viable offspring devoid of the defects inherent in the royal line." The Mother held up a hand as the attendants bustled back in. They saw the gesture and exited just as swiftly.

"Mother mine, I understand your concern, but in this, I am resolved."
"But, dearest Princess, why...?"
Ria turned and glanced down at the woman who had been her closest confidant since she was barely able to sign her own name.
"Mother mine... do you remember telling me the stories of my predecessors?" Ria stepped off the pedestal in a rustle of undergarments and sat primly on its edge instead.

Her Mother settled on the floor at her feet with a tired groan.
Ria closed her eyes and recited;
"The Great and Powerful Idala... my great grandmother; the first to demand that her people take her name. The Idali prospered under her rule, the scars of war healed as she solidified her reign and worked tirelessly to ensure the hands of power were always female. Her swift justice and tritanium will were feared and respected by all. Even her sworn enemies attended her funeral with tears in their eyes...

"The Glorious Lojana, my grandmother; a woman of strong opinions and impeccable virtue. Her reign saw the Lojani live in unprecedented peace. Her life was marred only by her mishandling of the MLA revolt in her sixth year. She dithered, failed to strike early, and the revolution persisted for too long... the men involved became a thorn in her side for decades...

"The Most Gracious Moa, my mother, facilitated our trade agreements with the Federation, fearing that isolation made us weak. She was loved by her subjects, but she was not feared by them. Love does not engender respect from the masses, and the lessons learnt under her own mother's rule were not used widely. Contact with outside influences and a resurgence in the popularity of the MLA threatened our peace on all three continents.

"And now, me... I have been handed a crumbling system, Mother mine. I have not the strength of Idala, I will not be able to strike boldly and with the confidence in my heart that will be required to save our world from tumbling back into the war and fear that typified the reign of men."
The Mother listened.
"And I believe this is because, as our men weakened, so too did we. We have taken to choosing docile men for our partners, Mother. We believe that by choosing men with little will we are ensuring the rule of women, deftly side-stepping a repeat of the genocide in our past... And for a while, it seemed to work, and perhaps it will continue to work for my people, but for me... for the royal line, it cannot be so.
"I am not just a product of my mother, grand mother, great grand mother, I am a product of their bondmates, too. I have the weaknesses of those men in my veins. If I, too, choose a gentle man as a bondmate, my daughters won't long have a planet to rule. My people won't have a queen to follow, they'll have a puppet. We will be undone by the very thing we have tried for generations to avoid.
"My rule MUST see a change. I refuse to be Ria, The Powerless. I will have a strong bondmate at my side. My daughters need me to do this."
The Mother cast her eyes to the ceiling. "Garnering power through a man... it's dangerous, Princess. What message will it send to those in support of the Men's Liberation Army? And... that man in particular... He is not familiar with our ways. He seems hostile towards us. His influence would be great, and destructive."
"I know... but we're tumbling over the cliff-face already, thanks to The Most Gracious Moa. We are already falling fast... and for my people I will grasp at the razor-sharp claws of any bird of prey I find if it gives us the barest chance of survival."

Ria stood and ushered in the attendants, finishing the conversation with her Mother with, "I do not possess a wealth of bravery, Mother mine, but what I have will be used this day."

Return to U.S.S. Bremen