ENG2 Ensign Razyn Laner

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 ET. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Cadet

ENG2 Ensign Razyn Laner

Postby Sai Patel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:51 am

Laner stood on stage, microphone in hand, and a spotlight on him, as he looked out at the small audience in a comedy club in San Francisco, approximately a year before he was assigned to the Atlantis.

"Hello. M-m-my name is Razyn Laner and I am a St-St-St-Starfleet cadet with a stutter. So, I am from B-Ba-Bajora, and I traveled a lot, and I ju-just happened t-t-t-to get back from Ferenginar."

A handful of the older audience members shook their head.

"Y-Y-You guys been there? S-S-S-S," he paused," S-S-Some of you?"

A few nodded.

"W-W-W-Well, you know Ferenginar's an-an-an an interesting place be-because you can haggle prices like you can j-j-just argue," he chuckles, "the p-prices. W-W-W-Which means when they say a number you can just g-g-go... no." There was laughter, and a scattering of clapping.

"I'm in ch-ch-ch-ch-charge here. I-I-I-I-I just ac-ac-a-a-accept it that that's how you do it in F-F-Feren-Ferenginar. I accept it. But-But-But haggling d-doesn't work so well for me-me-me. Y-Y-You s-s-see, the key to haggling is-is-is you-you got to sound confident," he gave an upward squeak, and shrugged, as the audience guffawed.

"Wha-Wha-Wha-What they are hearing f-from-from me, is that, it's good, he's n-not fluent in our language... or his." A few of the linguistics professors let out an uncontrollable laugh. "I st-st-still tried though. I went up to one-one of the-one of the g-guys with the little carts, and I just th-th-threw out a number in th-th-th-th-their currency, and said one strip of la-la-latinum. No," mild chuckled echoed the walls of the building.

"It was like, n-n-n-no. It's-It's-It's th-three-three strips of latinum. I was l-l-l-l-legging it down. I was like, look, b-buddy, the-the highest up I can go is t-t-t-two strips of latinum. He-He-He was sold on that p-p-p-probably because he was tired. Or-Or-Or-Or-Or hungover." A hearty laugh escaped a considerable number of people.

"As you kn-know, both are-are-are-are," he paused to stop his stutter, "are worthless in the F-F-Fed-Federation. Something I did not take into ah-ah-ah-ac-account during this con-con-con-con-conversation. So this con-conversation in the Federation went, how ab-ab-ab-about... nothing?'" He paused, turned to face to his right, "No. It's for n-nothing." He looked to his left, "l-l-l-look b-b-b-buddy, the highest I-I-I-I can go, is nothing." The audience roared, as he landed his final line, "The most I have ever p-p-paid for a malfun-fun-fun-functioning holodeck program."

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Re: ENG2 Ensign Razyn Laner

Postby Luceo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:48 am

Interesting way to handle the stutter, with standup comedy. Nice intro to the character!
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Cadet

Re: ENG2 Ensign Razyn Laner

Postby Sai Patel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 am

There's more where that came from.

Return to U.S.S. Atlantis