CO Captain Sara Sumner

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Re: CO Captain Sara Sumner

Postby Shawna F » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Ooo, I dig where this is going. I particularly like the detail of the registry number, and you're right, with the colors as is, it won't wash anyone out. And be that much easier to tell who's in which department! What do dress uniforms have against identifying specific departments, I ask...

I'm also imagining getting these ICly done and attending some Starfleet function in shiny new uniforms. And how the admiralty might react. ("Why isn't it regulation?!" "Oh, it's the Bremen, no this is pretty much par for the course for them.")
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:24 am

SD 11612.11

Sara was not having a good time, and the minutes and hours seemed to crawl at an excruciating pace. Her internal happy place was a dumpster fire of disbelief, rage, and fatalistic amusement. It happened again!

Of course the Queen of Antidick up and chose to try and marry Trevanion. Of course her attempt at cultural exchange blew up in her face, just like all the other times she'd tried to do a good thing. Of course her career was turning into one long joke.

Sara just wasn't cut out for command, plain and simple. It was anathema to who she was as a person, and it had been a mistake for Starfleet to give her so much responsibility so fast. She had done an adequate job as XO on the Scimitar, but that had been a crisis, and handling crises was Sara's specialty. Command should have known after they benched her from the Rho that she couldn't do this.

There was no longer any point in pretending to be a leader. It was almost liberating in a way. Now she could just pick a spot to blurt out the information in the report and go AWOL, just like Tony. She could disappoint Raqiin, just like Tony. Oh well. That's just how it'd have-

Wait a minute. How in the hell was this her fault!? No no no - this was Princess Plush's fault! What the hell had possessed her to think she could simply take any man in the galaxy she wanted? Were her people so self-centered to assume that everyone had to submit to their customs? Of course they were, and Starfleet's moral relativism was enabling their bullshit.

And while we're at it, how the fuck was Twissel her fault, either? Rescuing the colony was the right thing to do. The aftermath and destruction of Delta Leonis was Section 31's fault for creating that weapon in the first place, and since it was Section 31's fault, it was therefore Starfleet's fault. Bantree's fault. Jordain's fault.

Not Sara Sumner's fault. The shitpile was already there when she was promoted, and her career was being defined by undoing that shitpile, even if it was messy and difficult. That's a career Sara Sumner could get behind. That was a career worth having.

That was a career she could be proud of.

She sat up a little straighter, her scowl shifting to a resolved frown as she waved over one of the champagne bearers. Her and little miss fussy briches were gonna negotiate, alright. She was gonna negotiate her ass to whatever backwater they were originally going to, and then she'd negotiate just where Ria could stick her fancy bowl.

This was Sara's kingdom, and she would brook no further bullshit. It was time to show the full force of her fury.
Last edited by C. J. Short on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:31 am

Right! I've got to buy me some tasty crisps before thursday, this shitstorm 's gonna be awesome :)
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:43 pm

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:30 am

hooooooooly shitstorm! I will be tuning into this!

Also, FUCK YES Sara Sumner!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 pm

SD 11612.22

Sara took a deep breath as she eyed herself in the mirror, something that has become increasingly common over the past several weeks. It was usually a method of contemplation, trying to discern who she really was in the face of successive disasters and her inability to control the chaos, but tonight it was purely a matter of appearance. For the first time in a long time, she didn't need to think about who she was.

She was bent forward, and closely observing the outter edge of her eyebrow, trying to find a hole that her Academy roommate, Tress, had assured her was permanent. She pinched and rolled the skin, looking for an incongruous shadow.

There it was... She delicately maneuvered a small, silvery ring into position, smiling as it slid into place.

It had been some time since she'd worn any of her non-ear piercings. It had been a concession to a sense of maturity; she had believed that being an effective leader meant acceptance by her crew, and that acceptance had meant looking the part. It had been a foolish, misguided notion, and the events of that night, including her small epiphany about the previous few months, had exposed it for what it was: insecurity.

She had doubted herself, probably since losing command of the Rho, and so she had tried to change herself to match what she thought was more desirable in a Captain. It was a common mistake among humans, who seemed to be particularly concerned with image. Hell, trying to be something you weren't was an almost universal human experience, and even the mighty Sara Sumner was guilty of it on occasion, but not any more.

The nostril stud was next, and was easier to place. She vividly remembered when she'd first pierced her nose. Janelle Stevens had done it in the shuttle lot after school one day in her junior year of high school, and it had hurt like hell. She grinned despite the pain, though; she'd always thought noserings were the shit, and now she had one, and felt awesome. Then she'd gone home, and her father had noticed and demanded she remove it at once. She remembered being riddled with fear as the word 'no' escaped her lips, but she'd held her gaze defiant.

"You're lucky you're a girl," he'd warned, before grounding her for a month. In hindsight, that had been a watershed moment for her, and had been key in her deciding to follow her brother to the Academy, where she'd gotten her other piercings. Thinking that removing them would somehow make her more responsible had been foolish indeed. Sara's strength had always lay in her ability to be true to herself. It had taken a wayward princess slave to societal norms to make her remember that.

The lip ring was last, slipping into the lower left after some effort. It had always given her the impression of having a snaggle tooth, which she found adorable as shit. She smiled at her reflection, and the visual return to her old self reinforced that feeling of rediscovery.

"God, I've missed you," she sighed.

"You know you're strange, right?" Thalev called from the bedroom.

"Bitch, you love my strange," she countered, and the pair chuckled. Something still wasn't right with her reflection, however, and it didn't take long to figure out what.

"Computer, let's get some hair dye," she called.

"Please specify hue."

"Command red."
Last edited by C. J. Short on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Postby Shawna F » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 am

Daaaaaaamn, gurl, take NO prisoners! :rock: :rock:
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:47 am

I just giddy danced around my kitchen reading this!

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:02 am

hahahaha perfect. And that Thalev cameo was spot on
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:26 am

SD 11701.12

Nola stared at the PADD in her hand like the message was written in some indecipherable alien script.

"Proceed to Captain's ready room ASAP."

This couldn't possibly have been meant for her. What would Captain Sumner need with a mess officer, and a low-ranking one at that? Why wouldn't she just come down to the lounge? Was this about the Riani dinner? Raek had thrown her under the bus for something, hadn't he? That sniveling blue bastard. She would get him for this-

"What part of ASAP do you not understand?" asked D'yet, who was loominging over Nola's shoulder.

"The part where it involves you reading my stuff," said Nola, thoroughly annoyed. She took off all the same, bolting out of the kitchen and proceeding into the corridor. She bobbed and weaved through traffic, silently cursing whatever shit luck had befallen her. A knot formed in her stomach as she failed to stop herself from filling in the blanks. She was about to get sacked; there was no other explanation.

She stopped as she neared the turbolift to look at her reflection in one of the wall panels. She tucked her hair behind her ears, then untucked, and finally settled on tucking just the right side. She wasn't sure why she was bothering; her looks weren't going to save her from being shitcanned.

Unless, of course, that rumor that had made the rounds a while back about the Captain's Academy days was true...

"Uh, Bridge," she instructed the lift. It chirped an acknowledgement and lurched upward. Nola had never been to the bridge, and wasn't looking forward to the questioning looks. The lift came to a stop, and she took a deep breath, and realized she had no idea which door lead to the ready room, causing a minor panic.

"Can I help you?" asked a lithe Caitian yeoman.

"The ready room?" croaked Nola, meekly holding up the PADD.

"Over there," he pointed.

"Thanks," offered Nola after clearing her throat. She slowly made her way across the room, looking at the various consoles, the command circle, and the viewscreen. She received a few curious looks and put her head down for the last few paces. After attempting a steadying breath, she signaled the chime.

"Come in," bade the Captain, and the doors opened, and Nola forced herself to step inside.

The Captain had her back turned as she perused the replicator menu. The room was sparsely decorated. In fact, she got the impression it had recently been cleaned.

After several moments of silence, it finally occurred to Nola to announce herself.

"Mess officer Vale, reporting as requested, Ma'am," she said, surprisingly professional considering the tumult of terror swirling in her stomach.

"Nola, right?" asked the Captain.

"Uh, yes," Nola answered. The Captain turned, and Nola got her first good, up close look at Sara Sumner, and it was completely disarming. Facial piercings. Deep red hair. A hint of a tattoo sneaking up past her neckline. Nola had heard stories about Captain Sumner, of her being a firebrand, and a rebel, but they hadn't prepared her for the reality of the Captain's presence.

"At ease, Nola," Sumner said. "Have a seat."

"Right," said Nola, now scrambling to get her head on straight. She'd been called for a reason, and she needed to be prepared for the worst. She sat and placed the PADD on the desk as Captain Sumner ordered some tea.

"Can I get you anything?" she asked.

"No, thank you," Nola answered. "I'm good."

The Captain sat with a small sigh, a steaming cup of tea in her hands.

"So, Ms. Vale, I've brought you up here for an unusual reason," she said.

"Am I fired?" Nola blurted. The Captain laughed and shook her head.

"No no, nothing like that," she assured. "This is a, uh, unofficial concern."

Unofficial? Nola now found herself wondering if she'd gotten herself worked up over some stupid surprise party or something, but if that were the case, why her? Surely there were better mess officers who-

"I hear you play guitar," Sumner continued, interrupting Nola's tangent.

"You do?" Nola asked, suddenly incredulous. She officially had no idea where this was going.

"Is that correct?" Sumner asked.

"Uh," Nola hesitated, trying to decide whether to downplay it. "I mean, yeah. A little."

"How little?" asked the Captain.

"Oh, only like, uh, a couple hours. A day. Every day. For the last twelve years." Nola averted her gaze and bit her lip, gravely lamenting how awkward this conversation felt. The Captain only grinned a mischievous grin.

"Perfect," said Sumner, sipping her tea.

"Perfect?" asked Nola.

"I play bass," said Sumner, and finally Nola's thoughts clicked into place.

"You want to start a band?" asked Nola, utterly perplexed. "With me?"

"If you're willing," confirmed the Captain. "I miss playing for crowds. Used to do a show a week at the Academy, and now my bass collection just sits there while I get myself trapped in zoos and Starfleet has me babysit royal brats. It's a drag, Ms. Vale."

This was a lot to take in, and was lightyears away from where Nola thought it would go. Play in a band with the Captain? Outrageous. Preposterous. Utterly against protocol. She'd never hear the end of it from the mess crew.

"Yes," said Nola, before she could stop herself. "I mean, uh, when did you want to meet up?" She was actually going to do this. This was the craziest shit. The Captain checked the chronometer.

"How about in 20 minutes on holodeck 2?" Sumner offered.

"Ok," said Nola, taking a deep breath as she prepared to leap headfirst down the rabbit hole. "Ok."

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen