Getting in those Holodeck hours...

Discuss everything to do with the game here. Your ships, character story arcs, plots, plans and ideas are all fair game. If it's In-Universe, then it's in here.
Ensign

Character Name: Jonas Illin

Getting in those Holodeck hours...

Postby Paul Scott » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:32 pm

Hiya guys,

So I'm new to this so forgive me if this is something that been tried in the past and not worked or if it's something you'd rather restrict to the logs or such, but here goes...

A number of years ago I was in a sci-fi forum where a number of us began a thread called the Cantina. At first it was a social thread, but over time it became a sort of unguided RPG where we improvised stories. By the end it became a hybrid of Doctor Who and Firefly fiction and rather than anything specifically structured. There also ended up being elements of the Japanese Anime, Bleach, Warhammer, Stargate and Battlestar Galactica as other people chimed in with their own character ideas.

Now, obviously we have the GD's for a reason and for the purposes of our ship missions that is only right and proper. However in between sessions in might be fun to have a holodeck area where anything goes. We can either stay in character or have our characters take on the guises of other figures, like Data taking on Sherlock Holmes. Let your character unwind my creating something that is pure fantasy and then allow the poster following to add to a never ending story line.

Think of it as our version of Fair Haven or Sandrine's where everyone chips in to create the universe they want. If we're in middle of an adventure fighting a zombie horde, feel free to suddenly appear in a TARDIS and help save the day. Or come up with something completely original and build up a totally unique universe with its own mythology.

If need be I could always put this into the creative writing area and let us come up with something totally new. I think some people might prefer that, and I have no problem with that, but personally I quite like the idea of playing a fantasy inside a fantasy and let my Starfleet officer make choices of what he wants to do in his off hours.

So, what does everyone think? Any questions? I know it's a bit of a way out there idea so if need be I can show examples of how we used to do things in the former thread I mentioned.
Engineering Cadet Jonas Illin
USS Bremen

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: Getting in those Holodeck hours...

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:12 am

This sounds like an environment capable of outrageous absurdity and I love it. For my part, I've always liked the idea of having my RP characters RP. Like, a bunch of our characters could have a holo-conference game of D&D or Shadowrun or something like that, where we play characters as other characters.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Ensign

Postby Paul Scott » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:34 am

It's that kind of thing exactly. Imagine a 24th Century Holo-D&D... it would be nuts. :P

"I cast lightning!"
"Wait, how the hell did you do that? You're not even a mage?"
"I am now..."
"Since When?"
"Since I reprogrammed the game last night. Level 4 Starfleet Academy Engineering Skills for the win!"
"You cheating little shit!"
USS Bremen

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:12 am

My main character would probably not be very good at it, which could be quite amusing.
CSO Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Postby Luceo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:10 pm

We did this once on Atlantis, with a player GMing a holodeck RPG. Hilarity ensued!
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Ensign

Postby Paul Scott » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:21 pm

Luceo wrote:We did this once on Atlantis, with a player GMing a holodeck RPG. Hilarity ensued!

Sounds like an endorsement. :P
USS Bremen

Return to Engage Lounge