Quick and Dirty IRC-Client How-To

Having an issue with the site, your IRC client, or any technical issues? Ask your question here.
C. J. Short
Commander
Commander

Quick and Dirty IRC-Client How-To

Post by C. J. Short » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Hello all! As you may or may not know, the best way to play STE is by using an IRC client. While our Game Manager James has done an excellent job with the site's browser-based client, there's only so much that can be done client-side to address stability when web browsers are involved. A stand-alone IRC client will provide much more stability, and while those of you new to full IRC client might find them daunting to look at, they're not all that hard to use if you know where to click/what to type.

To that end, I have put together this quick tutorial on how to used one of our preferred IRC clients, HydraIRC. The concepts in this tutorial should be applicable to other clients like mIRC, but there may be differences. Anyway, here's how to set up and use Hydra, which can be downloaded and installed from here: http://download.cnet.com/HydraIRC/3000- ... 52677.html

When you first open Hydra after installation, you'll be prompted to set up a default identity. This looks more complicated than it is, and the most expedient way to do this is to simply fill in your first name in each box (and remember to click 'Add' when you write in the 'Nick' field). With your identity set, you'll see the following:

In the upper left corner, just under the File and Edit buttons, you'll see a trio of icons called New Server, Connect, and Disconnect:

The easiest method for connecting to the game quickly is to hit the middle button, Connect. You should see the menu below pop up.

Alternatively, you can just type '/server chat.startrekengage.com' in the server status window that displays when you open Hyrdra, as seen in image 2.

Down in the 'URI:' field, type the following: chat.startrekengage.com

It should look like this:

Click 'OK' and you'll be connected to the game's base server. On Hyrdra, the servers Channel List window should open automatically.

Click 'Populate List' to bring up the channels currently active on the server:

Simply double-click on the channel(s) you want to join, and they'll open in new staggered windows. Close the channel list box, and you should see the following:

Minimize the 'Unknown Description' window, and you should be left with your ship's OOC channel and your IC mission channel (NOTE: Be sure to use the MINIMIZE (-) button and not the CLOSE (X) button; closing the 'Unknown Description' window will disconnect you from the server).

To the right of the Connection buttons are the Tile buttons, which will change how your channel windows are stacked.

The first button will leave (or revert) your windows to the staggered position. The second button will tile your windows vertically. The third button will tile them horizontally, which is how I prefer it:

You are now ready to play! All you need to know is a few command lines:

/nick (nameplate) - The /nick command is used to change your display name in the IRC channels. If you set up your identity using our first name, you'll need to use this command to change your display name to your character's name. For example, /nick TAC_Ens_Everyman or /nick CO_Capt_Badass

/join (#channel name) - Use this command if the Channel List window doesn't open, or if you're using something other than Hydra and it's not obvious how to bring up the channel list. You'll also want to use this if you're the first player logging on and your ship's OOC room isn't active. Be sure to use the #! Examples: /join #TitanLounge or /join #ST_MissionRoom1

You should now know everything you need to know about Hyrda or other IRC programs. There are a ton of other buttons and settings we didn't talk about, but for the purposes of playing STE, this is all you need to know. If you still have questions, feel free to PM/Email me and I will answer them to the best of my ability!
Last edited by C. J. Short on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Einar S
Commander
Commander

Re: Quick and Dirty IRC-Client How-To

Post by Einar S » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Great summary CJ but might I recommend a small addition, I believe the easiest way to connect is simply to write: /server chat.startrekengage.com in the status window and you're done :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

C. J. Short
Commander
Commander

Re: Quick and Dirty IRC-Client How-To

Post by C. J. Short » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Clicking buttons is easier than typing for some people :P

But I'll add a note.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled