MED Ensign Csirr Velekh

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Cadet

MED Ensign Csirr Velekh

Postby Haven Saphe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 am

Csirr clenched and unclenched his paw repeatedly around the strap, his overstuffed bag slung haphazardly over his shoulder. The busy sounds of life in the city doing nothing to distract him from what lay ahead.

This was it.

He stood staring at the chrome shuttle before him, destined to take him and other Ensigns to a Starbase where he would wait to be delivered to his new placement: the U.S.S. Atlantis. His stomach fluttered at the thought; his first off planet placement. A sense of anticipation had consumed him the moment he got the letter informing him of his new position. He couldn't wait! Or could he? Oh gods, what if he messed up bad? Like, bad bad? Like, really, really bad?

Csirr dropped his bag in frustration and sat down hard in the grass, propping his head up on his furry fist. His tail flickered anxiously.

"I've really gotta stop this..." He mutters to himself, using his free hand to pick at the green tufts.

He was to be, officially, an operations officer, but was informed that he would be working in the medical department due to an undisclosed absence. His eyes raised skywards and praised any of the gods who had listened to his prayers. He was good with technology, really good, but medicine had been his dream ever since he was just a kit. When he first joined Starfleet Academy, he had studied a major in Engineering and a minor in Physics, not thinking he was good enough to enrol in the medical courses. On his graduation, aged 22, a call from his mother persuaded him to try. He couldn't thank her enough. He stayed on at Starfleet studying medicine and graduated again aged 28. Now 29, after a year of field work planetside, he was ready for the big leagues.

Speaking of field work...

"Oof!" Csirr made a surprised sound as he suddenly lurched sideways, a heavy weight on his side telling him he had been tackled by something small and strong. He rolled with the hit, reducing any injury he may have received by hitting the ground to a small bruise. Arms moving on instinct, they curled around his attacker's middle and pulled, pinning them to his chest.

A giggle. He could feel the vibrations against his torso and looked down.

"Jehla?" The big brown eyes of the young Haliian girl stared at him, her scrunched nose further defining the ridge between her eyes.

"You're panicking, stop it." She sniffed disdainfully, flicking Csirr on the nose. He recoiled.

"Hey!" His outcry only made her snicker as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I'm gonna miss you, Zi..." She buried her head in his neck, mumbling. "Though I hate to admit it, you're the best doc I've ever had." He looked down, concerned at the wetness he felt through his shirt, before wrapping his arms around the child.

"I'm going to miss you too, J." He gave her a small squeeze. "You'll see me again. Can't get rid of me that easily, no matter how hard you try." She giggled through her tears.

"I did try really hard, didn't I?" She looked up at him. When they had first met, Jehla had hated him on sight and tried any and every way to get rid of her new doctor. However, over the year they had spent together, her attempts grew more and more half-hearted. Now she had to say goodbye. "I don't want you to go..." She whispered, eyes shining. Csirr brushed a strand of brown hair from her face and smiled.

"I have to go, Sweetie. I'll call you and your brother as often as I can, but I have to." He glanced up, seeing the older Haliian in question.

"I got a call about an escaped pest?" His gruff voice softened by the twinkle in his eyes.

"Yeah, I caught him." Jehla poked Csirr who swatted at her playfully.

"Not him," Asiht stepped forward and lifted his sister by the waist off Csirr, allowing him to stand up and brush himself off. "You!" Jehla squealed and giggled as he swung her around. Csirr gave a lopsided grin and hefted his bag over his shoulder once more. Asiht allowed Jehla to climb on his back, Csirr distantly making a connection to Caitian children clinging to their mothers. "You off now, ya big fur-ball?" Asiht grunted.

Csirr nodded, his short time spent with Jehla completely easing his worries about his first placement. "All packed up." He gave a weak grin as he slapped his bag. Okay maybe not completely, but it was close. Asiht stepped forward, tugging Csirr into a hug and ruffling his dark fur. As he pulled back, Jehla tucked Csirr's loose curls behind a twitching ear.

"Thanks for everything you've done for us this past year, Csirr. You save Jehla's life more times than I could count." Csirr glances at the small child clinging to her big brother.

"I wouldn't of had to if she stopped jumping out of stupidly tall trees and various roofs." He gave her a pointed look, making her giggle once more. He returns his look to Asiht and giving a small grin. "Thanks for letting me stick around." Asiht ducked his head in acknowledgement and glanced away, a light pink dusting gracing his cheeks. He cleared his throat.

"Yeah, yeah. Now scram, you overgrown house cat. Off with ya, or it'll leave and you'll be stuck here." Asiht motioned to the shuttle. Csirr snorted, shifting his bag and standing to attention, giving a mock salute.

"Yes, Sir!" He winked and waved off the siblings, his mind now at ease as he steps closer and closer to the new chapter in his life.

He resolves to remember the feel of Terran grass under his feet as he pauses before turning and waving at the siblings, who animatedly wave back. Csirr enters the craft, nose wrinkling at the grated floor of the craft and deciding to slip on his regulation boots. He glances out of the window as he straps himself in between a Vulcan and a very animated Ferengi, watching as Asiht walks away, Jehla glancing back and waving one last time as they disappear to the busy swarm of people. The engine of the shuttle roars to life as the last few stragglers arrive, the heavy door shutting with a hiss. Chatter of the other ensigns flood the air around him, all talking with an air of excitement and nerves as Csirr looks down at his paws. His right thumb traces the pad of his left hand before they squeeze shut. Csirr takes a deep breath, looking up with determination in his eyes.

U.S.S. Atlantis, here I come.

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Re: MED Ensign Csirr Velekh

Postby Luceo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:24 pm

What an outstanding first log! Great effort, keep it up, and I look forward to seeing you in the game.
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Ensign

Character Name: LCdr Kuari

Postby Liz White » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I enjoyed the tender goodbye and introduction to a new character setting out on a grand adventure! You start off with heart and determination, a good way to go. I look forward to meeting you!
Lieutenant Commander Kuari
XO of USS Atlantis

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:54 pm

(copying the comment I put on the site when this was posted...)

I can only echo the sentiments of our CO and XO above… I enjoyed reading this, and look forward to meeting you! Welcome!
CSO Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Cadet

Log 2: Settling In

Postby Haven Saphe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:46 am

Tilting his head, Csirr gave a warm smile.

"And you too, mother," Csirr murmured, earning him a fond smile. The holo projection of the elder Caitian woman clasped her paws.

"My boy... All grown up.. And on the Atlantis, too- Oh, I am so proud!" Her arms twitched as if suppressing the urge to embrace her kit. Csirr's tail twitched and his shoulders hunched in embarrassment, despite his only roommate not being present.

"Mother..."

"I know, I know." She waved a paw dismissively. "I'm allowed to coddle, it's my job." Csirr frowned.

"I thought you were a botanist?" His mother huffed at him, narrowing her slitted eyes. Csirr missed their amber hue, the outdated holo only showing various shades of blue.

"Don't get smart with me, little kit." She shook her head, ears turning outwards in a weary motion. "You should go, you have a big first day tomorrow." Csirr nodded, ears laid back. "You'll do fine, Ze... Trust yourself." Csirr sighed.

"I have to go."

"Csirr-" He looked up with a strained smile.

"I'll holo you next week, mother." She drew in a breath before relaxing her shoulders as Csirr lowered his head once more.

"See you then, kit..." At the rumble of her soft voice Csirr looked up, but the holo had already been cut off.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Csirr sat in silence for a few minutes before standing and tucking the holo back into his bag. His paws itched for something to distract him, but his personal items and clothes had already been tucked away, his padd in its charging station. His tail flicked from side to side in sharp flicks and he ran his paws through his tangled curls. He paused, eyeing his bedside table before wandering towards it.

His fingers grazed the brush, feeling the bristles under his pads. Snatching it up he flopped onto his bed, sitting cross-legged as he brought it up to his dark hair. He sighed, shoulders relaxing as he tugged it through his curls. A light rumble bubbled up from his chest, growing louder as he continued. Tensions eased from his mind the more he brushed, as it did when he was just a small kit.

He sighed peacefully, placing the brush back in its original spot, before leaning back with his head the the crisp white pillow. He would have a lot of problems to face in his time with the Atlantis, but face them he would. He smiled faintly before closing his eyes.

Images of a dark-blueish Caitian kit giggling as an older Caitian woman tried to brush his unruly hair in front of an antique mirror sending him to a sweet reminiscing sleep.

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:45 am

This is adorable, and an excuse to use the kitty smilie. :3: Good job!

Cadet

Log 3: Holding On

Postby Haven Saphe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Csirr sat on the wooden steps as he stared out across the golden fields. Orange and red wisps of light tangled in his dark fur and shone in his eyes, blinding him slightly. The young man did not care enough to move, however, and remained where he was, arms locked around stilted knees and holding them close to his chest.

"Ze?"

The voice from over his shoulder spooked him and, though he did not jump out of surprise, the tension was obvious in the lines of his shoulders. This time he heard the hinges of the old door grinding and the heavy footsteps in his direction. There was a pause as the feet next to him hesitated.

"May I?"

Csirr made a small noise of assent, moments later a large mass joined him, leaning forward with their forearms resting on their knees. The two figures sat in silence for a good few minutes, the Caitian staring into the fields and the other studying their counterpart. A deep breath signalled the voice's return.

"It wasn't your-"

Clenched teeth.

"Don't."

"Csirr-"

A hint of a growl.

"I don't want to hear it."

"There was nothi-"

"Would you just stop?!"

The Caitian threw himself to his feet and spun around, damp eyes attempting to glare holes the man sitting down, his teeth bared and his arms now wrapped tightly around his middle. His claws dug into his sides, slightly tearing the skin. Not that Csirr noticed.

"You know it was! If I had just acted a little faster, then-"

"Then the woman would've still died," the man rumbled back, standing with his arms crossed and towering over the bipedal feline by almost a head. "Csirr, there was nothing you could have done."

"You don't know that!" Csirr cried, becoming slightly hysterical. "I was supposed to save her! That's what I'm supposed to do!"

The man lurched forward, wrapping his arms around the sobbing Caitian and clutching him to his chest. The young man struggled but soon relented, shaking in his new haven and clutching at a well-worn shirt littered with holes.

It took a few good minutes for the Caitian to calm down and a further minute or so before he stopped crying. The man holding him drew back, strong but gentle hands framing Csirr's face. Thumbs dried the damp fur on his cheeks and warm brown eyes stared into his own green and blue.

"Ze... You need to understand, you did all you could to save her," he gentle rumbled. Csirr tried to turn away, but the man refused to let him. "You're the reason she lived as long as she did."

Csirr's shoulders slumped in defeat and he averted his eyes. "I just wish I could've done more... I should've done more..."

The man facing him smiled warmly, small crinkles in the corners of his eyes. "You did more than enough. You gave her a chance to say goodbye when everyone else gave up on her."

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Csirr sighed and leaned into the hands on his face. "Thanks..."

"No problem, ya overgrown house cat," the man chuckled. "Someone's gotta take care of Doctor Furball."

Csirr huffed and tried to bat him away, but the man knocked it away and slid an arm around the feline's slim waist. Csirr let out a small squeak as he was pulled closer, paws still clutching the front of the tattered shirt. Wide eyes stared up at smiling brown, the setting sun making them dance like fire.

Csirr didn't know who leaned in first, but he soon gave up caring. A full minute passed before they even considered parting. When they did, Csirr buried his head in the tall man's shoulder. A gentle vibration rolled in his chest as his tail mimicked the man's arm, curling slightly up the back of his shirt.

"My sweet Ze..."

Csirr shifted slightly, nosing the man's neck and relaxing at his scent, ears flicking contentedly.

"You're a sap, Asiht."

The Haliian chuckled.

"I know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Csirr sat on his bed, staring at the holo picture of Jehla, Asiht and himself, taken a week before he left Earth. He absently itched at the healing injury on his forehead and smiled wistfully at the figures flickering before him. He remembered clearly the first kiss he and Asiht had shared, saddened greatly as he remembered when they had the call it off after Csirr got posted on the Atlantis.

Neither believed they could sustain a good relationship so far apart. Asiht would never know whether or not Csirr would be in constant danger and Csirr couldn't make Asiht wait for him. They cared too much about each other for that. They had remained closer than ever and knew they could always rely on each other.

It didn't stop it aching though. Csirr missed him and Jehla greatly and called every other day, swapping stories --Csirr toned down the violence greatly-- of their own little slice of the universe.

It was for the best.

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Very nice descriptions of the lighting on both the scene and the characters, and the emotion of the scene is palpable. Well done!

Return to U.S.S. Atlantis